Anyone ever count a cord of firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomscarpt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got done cutting and splitting a load of oak.Decided this year to stack it on pallets then i can pick it up with the bobcat and move it around.So far i can get on a 48" x 48" pallet about 150 to 170 pieces of wood.The wood is stacked in one direction then in another, tops off at about 4 feet tall. My guess would be 3 pallets like this should be around a cord of wood.Never counted a full stacked cord before just wondering if anyone might know ? 450 to 500 pieces sound right. Lets base this on a normal split size log.

Depends on the size of your splits. Mine come in just as you are speculating, in the 450-500 piece range.

Just got done cutting and splitting a load of oak.Decided this year to stack it on pallets then i can pick it up with the bobcat and move it around.So far i can get on a 48" x 48" pallet about 150 to 170 pieces of wood.The wood is stacked in one direction then in another, tops off at about 4 feet tall. My guess would be 3 pallets like this should be around a cord of wood.Never counted a full stacked cord before just wondering if anyone might know ? 450 to 500 pieces sound right. Lets base this on a normal split size log.

4x4x8 is a cord....so 2 pallets 48x48 would be 8' long....2 pallets to a cord...

In a different direction, is 165 cu ft the right number for a loose load of split wood for a cord? Instead of stacking it to only dump it or count it piece by piece, this would be faster but is it accurate? 16" logs BTW.

I would agree 2 pallets would be a cord but if i stacked this tight could probably use the 3 pallets to make it a well tight stacked pile.4x4x8

mga, you can't use 18" splits to make a cord, you will have to recut it to 16", 12" or stretch it to 24" to make a cord. Regulations say has to be able to divide into 48" or 96" evenly to make a cord or it's not legal. I think what I would do if I was you and had the pieces all cut 18" already I would recut them into 6" pieces using a chop saw or an electric chainsaw. Then put an ad on Craigslist saying it is "special" parlor wood and ask a premium for it. It's alot of extra work to cut those 18" pieces down so you might as well be paid for it. Stick around here a little more often and you won't make a rookie mistake like cutting 18" wood.

:bang:

back to the subject

He's asking how many pieces....... not the cu ft of a cord...... pieces in a cord
I get about 500 but I split kinda small. if that helps.

What would Rodney King say?:confused2:

16" to make it "legal"? Legal by what law? 128 cubic feet can be established a number of ways and if the consumer is happy with it, it's "legal". Nothing I've ever found describes the length of the log to establish 128 cubic feet.

16" to make it "legal"? Legal by what law? 128 cubic feet can be established a number of ways and if the consumer is happy with it, it's "legal". Nothing I've ever found describes the length of the log to establish 128 cubic feet.

He was trolling, and seems to have hooked one. :biggrinbounce2: Of course, you are correct.

I cut to 16" and have counted many times while loading the truck -sometimes out of curiosity, sometimes out of boredom. I always fall in the 500-550 range. Most people around here like it split pretty small.

Length of wood

If your pieces are 18 inchs the customer is getting a great deal. Say 16 long by 4 ft by 4 ft is a half of a rank. Most fire inserts take 18 to 20 inch pieces. But like was said before 16 inchs is one of the legal length. The boy in green with yellow patches on there sleeves check you you will find out what legal is. My self I am not crazy about fines and jails but different strokes for different folks

Last edited:
If your pieces are 18 inchs the customer is getting a great deal. Say 16 long by 4 ft by 4 ft is a half of a rank. Most fire inserts take 18 to 20 inch pieces. But like was said before 16 inchs is one of the legal length. The boy in green with yellow patches on there sleeves check you you will find out what legal is. My self I am not crazy about fines and jails but different strokes for different folks

I am interested to see this regulation. Can you advise where to find this and the fine structure? Thanks

Size

I am interested to see this regulation. Can you advise where to find this and the fine structure? Thanks
I got stop by the forestry guys two times my wood was measured. Ok where the wood came from. I was ok on all counts. They explain what could be put up on me in fines and jail time. I believe every word they said they had guns and badges. I live on the state line. When I get wood I have a place in Missouri I store wood and a place in Illinois that I store wood. Fire wood sales are getting big and they are watching close in my area. I have proble been check 15 times in the last year for type fuel I am using. The state of Illinois is strict. They give you one break the next one is oh my god.

Latest posts

Back