Anyone ever used this valve on a logsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.S.Woodchucker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i want to know if a two way detent valve will work ok on a logsplitter, 7 hp briggs, 16gpm pump 4x24 cylindern, homemade. its a prince valve from Northern tool. i wasnt sure if the dentent would kick it out on the split stroke. i know it would be dangerous but so is crossing the street! any thoughts?

i want to know if a two way detent valve will work ok on a logsplitter, 7 hp briggs, 16gpm pump 4x24 cylindern, homemade. its a prince valve from Northern tool. i wasnt sure if the dentent would kick it out on the split stroke. i know it would be dangerous but so is crossing the street! any thoughts?
Detent release pressure adjustable from 600 to 2000 PSI. Warning: using a pressure detent in both directions can be dangerous. USA

I think it will work ok just set the pressure up to the 2000 mark on the splittting side if you want it to splitt with out holding the handle you still may have the hold the handle on some pieces of wood

Last edited:
I think it will work ok just set the pressure up to the 2000 mark on the splittting side if you want it to splitt with out holding the handle you still may have the hold the handle on some pieces of wood[/QUOTE]

Thats what i was thinking, i figured someone on here had done it before. Thanks atvguns

I did not look op the valve price, but if you are looking to auto cycle why not use the prince valve designed that way? It is a tad pricey at 350 but a hell of a lot safer than a double detent .

I did not look op the valve price, but if you are looking to auto cycle why not use the prince valve designed that way? It is a tad pricey at 350 but a hell of a lot safer than a double detent .

out of my price range...i only had 450 in building the splitter. i will probably remove the extend side detent ball. That will help the safety factor a little. those auto cycle valves are nice but expensive

I've got a 2 way detent valve on my splitter.I'm not understanding the danger mentioned here.When it gets to the end of the stroke ,it detents back to neutral, both ways.Isn't that what ya'll are talking about?

That Valve ONLY Has one detent and it uses 2 grooves in the spool. So if you set forward to have a high relief pressure your return will as well

Scott

I ran a double detent valve for a while didn't like it.A s it is a pain if you need to stop the cylinder on the way out for any reason that detent has to be pushed by with the lever. We also tryed the auto cycle valve and it didn't work well for our set up. So we are back to detent on the return stroke only. Good luck with your project.

Back