Anyone have a Harbor Freight engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought one of those Chinese 6.5hp engines today. I didnt really need it but I was bored and picked it up under $100. I thought I may swap it out for the Honda gc 160 that currently sits on my splitter. The honda is only about 3 yrs old and doesnt have many hours, but the governor is starting to PMO. After replacing the governor spring last fall, the governor keeps falling out of adjustment. Which isnt a big deal, but the way people rave about the Chinese engines, I thought I would give one a shot for the money.

My concern is the picture of the chinese engine shows the recoil pulls in the opposite direction (towards the on/off switch) as a honda gc or gx. IF the picture is correct, the recoil rope will be facing directly into the I-beam on my splitter. Making it very tough to pull start the engine. I thought I could always re-position the recoil assembly but then it would be facing downward. I need someone to tell my the picture is wrong and it will work just fine on my splitter.

Ok, I'll try to make you feel a little better.
I've got a couple of the Chinese knockoff's. Just like the Honda's, should work fine.
It just pisses me off to have to buy a Chinese engine. But after a little research I've found that they are just about all made in China anymore. Might as well get the least expensive one.

Andy

i bought one about 5-6 weeks ago on sale cause the 5hp briggs on my MTD splitter was surely not gonna last much longer.....
2 weeks later she blew big time (the briggs)..
i had to rotate the starter recoil abot 1/4 turn to work better on my unit...
since then i probably have about 6 hours on it and could'nt be more satisfied..
starts on second pull everytime (after sittting out in the cold), runs great, quiet, ect...
i did have to cut 3/4" off of the crankshaft though to work with my existing lovejoy/connection/bracket setup..

i bought one about 5-6 weeks ago on sale cause the 5hp briggs on my MTD splitter was surely not gonna last much longer.....
2 weeks later she blew big time (the briggs)..
i had to rotate the starter recoil abot 1/4 turn to work better on my unit...
since then i probably have about 6 hours on it and could'nt be more satisfied..
starts on second pull everytime (after sittting out in the cold), runs great, quiet, ect...
i did have to cut 3/4" off of the crankshaft though to work with my existing lovejoy/connection/bracket setup..

change the oil sometimes, your engine will last longer

Been Running One for 3 Years...

... and it operates flawlessly. This is a terrific engine. I cannot believe that I also bought it for $100. Amazing thing is that it starts so easily and burns practically no oil.

Looks like it will run forever. I am impressed. I wish companies in the USA could build one that equals it for twice the price. Then I would have bought the USA machine instead. However, there is no company in the entire world building a 6.5 Hp engine that works this well for twice the price or less. :popcorn:

we have a go cart track around here that runs the same engine.they purchase them new and remove the govenor and run them on the carts.I am truly amazed and how high the engine will rev and not blow up.a lot of the guys have been using the same engine for two seasons now...

I just repowered (2) Troy Bilt Tillers with their 6.5 HP Lifan engines. They are good strong runners and will last a long time with reasonable care.

I ended up getting them for $107.00 each shipped to the house! You can't beat that price or service!

Craig

24wxb93.jpg
they work good

24wxb93.jpg
they work good

Thanks for posting a pic of your splitter with the engine on it. But just as I expected, the recoil will be positioned right next to the I-bean making it hard to access the rip-cord. My hydro pump faces the front, or ball hitch side of the splitter. At the local Northern Tool store, they sell another brand of the blue colored chinese engine. Only the rip cord is facing the same way as the Honda engines do. Which would be to my benefit. I'll figure something out.

PS. Thats one mighty big tree your taking on.

I purchased the 11 HP version for a generator. It has not seen much use, but it sure runs sweet and is easy on fuel.

Etced

Here are pictures of my splitter showing if the ripcord is reversed how it will be impacted by the I-beam.

you can turn the recoil around

:agree2:

You just pull those three bolts off and rotate the recoil to line up holes anyway you want.

Sometimes the recoil comes riveted to the engine. I have come across that to replace the rope and had to drill the rivets out with a small bit. Then I just used self tapping screws to create new holes to hold the recoil on, I didn't have screws big enough for the rivet holes aroundand had the self tapping on hand(I was in a hurry)

With proper maintenance any engine will hold up good. Replace/clean air filter regularly and change the oil often. I usually change the oil on my small engines every 10 hrs, It's less than a quart, or 2/3 times a year.

Last edited:
I bought one of those Chinese 6.5hp engines today. I didnt really need it but I was bored and picked it up under $100. I thought I may swap it out for the Honda gc 160 that currently sits on my splitter. The honda is only about 3 yrs old and doesnt have many hours, but the governor is starting to PMO. After replacing the governor spring last fall, the governor keeps falling out of adjustment. Which isnt a big deal, but the way people rave about the Chinese engines, I thought I would give one a shot for the money.

My concern is the picture of the chinese engine shows the recoil pulls in the opposite direction (towards the on/off switch) as a honda gc or gx. IF the picture is correct, the recoil rope will be facing directly into the I-beam on my splitter. Making it very tough to pull start the engine. I thought I could always re-position the recoil assembly but then it would be facing downward. I need someone to tell my the picture is wrong and it will work just fine on my splitter.

Sad state of affairs when one isn't raving over Hondas.. even though they aren't made in America either.

Back