Anyone know paint codes for Stihl's paint?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorcw

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know paint codes for Stihl's paint? or the name of the color?

How about for a 1956 david bradley?

i think the colors are called red and white. :clap:
i think a ford gray is a close match for the older stihl white. it depends on the year of the saw. The DB's came in different colors.

I see this question asked a lot about chainsaws but have not come across paint codes in the 45 years I have been associated with chainsaws. If they are ouit there they must be a closely guarded secret. The saws that I paint I just get a color mixed to as closely match the original as possible at an automotive paint supplier . They have color scanners there that can duplicate a color real close to the original. I take a part of the saw that has seen little sunlight/weather and clean it up real good, they scan it and come up with a mix, my fellow can then apply a small dab on the part that I dropped off for him to scan and if it is off a little he can add a touch of this and that to make it just about perfect. The trouble with painting chainsaws is that production runs from time to time changed their colors slightly so what I get mixed for one year saw may not exactly match the next saw I do, therefore I usually only get a mix for a litre at a time and just record the mix numbers. A litre will paint a lot of saws, 5-6 by the time it is reduced to be sprayed through the spray gun.
Pioneerguy600

Don't know paint codes but Stihl Item #s are 0000-000-2102 for the Gray(white) and 0000-000-2101 for the Orange.

Rattle can paint does not stand up to exposure to gas and oil very well and is a little thin on the color part. If enough coats are applied and then baked in an oven for a couple hours at around 300F it will stand up a little better.
Pioneerguy600

Rattle can paint does not stand up to exposure to gas and oil very well and is a little thin on the color part. If enough coats are applied and then baked in an oven for a couple hours at around 300F it will stand up a little better.
Pioneerguy600

I've had varying amounts of success baking rattle can paint. I usually set temp @250 and sometimes have had some paint bubble up. Not sure what problem was. Maybe not enough prep work?

The crankcases, starter housings, and clutch covers (as well as other metal parts) on modern Stihl saws are powder coated, so it wouldn't be possible to get a paint code for that.

I guess im think of repainting an old 041 stihl (no metal tag just the name and model cast into the top cover) I think this is out of the modern lineup. What paint are you guys using I use enamel paints on engines and other things at work that take alot higher heat then a saw and have never had paint bubble or flake off

These are reportedly the GERMAN paint codes for Stihl paint, I don't know how to translate to American paint codes. Old Stihl white is German paint code RAL 7035. Old Stihl Red/Orange is RAL 3000. New Stihl orange is RAL 2004. New Stihl white is RAL 9010. Hope this helps.

These are reportedly the GERMAN paint codes for Stihl paint, I don't know how to translate to American paint codes. Old Stihl white is German paint code RAL 7035. Old Stihl Red/Orange is RAL 3000. New Stihl orange is RAL 2004. New Stihl white is RAL 9010. Hope this helps.
When you "old color" versus "new color" - what years roughly are you actually talking about?

Also:

https://www.fieldfisher.com/en/serv...ing-through-the-issues-colour-trade-marks-and
Nice picture of the colors Stihl apparently trademarked at the time (in 2008).

Stihl did indeed get a trademark for the color combination as depicted in their filing (on appeal). The "clone" saws are most certainly violating trademark law and can be found liable (at least for an assembled chainsaw).

"In 2008, Andreas Stihl AG & Co KG ("Andreas Stihl"), a German manufacturer of chainsaws and other handheld power tools, filed an application to register a colour sign as an EU trade mark (EUTM) for 'chainsaws' in Class 7. The sign was a combination of colours per se (i.e. colours which are not spatially delimited) comprising 'orange (RAL 2010)' and 'grey (RAL 7035)'."

Back