Anyone need a 440 magnum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at the Eugene Stihl dealer the other day getting files, and they had 2 or 3 brand new 440s there on the bottom shelf. List price.

They are Stihl some of the 440s left out there. And for probably more like $750 with a bar and 3/4 wrap. Oh, and the fancy orange bar cover. That makes it real sexy...

Yep, Stihl a few 440's out there, just gotta look a little harder now. Here is some eye candy for you boys, thanks Jack!!
attachment.php

Yep, Stihl a few 440's out there, just gotta look a little harder now. Here is some eye candy for you boys, thanks Jack!!
attachment.php

You're welcome Brian. Looks like it has a great home with lots of brothers and sisters to keep it company.

Jack

His price is higher then a brand new MS460. What's so great about 440's? I'd skip over 440 and get MS460, 7900 or even a 372XP.

I doubt you even get a warranty since he's not a dealer.

Right, right. You see. It's called choice. He who pays chooses. You like the extra power of a 460 and don't mind the extra weight. Great choice. For you.

You like a light, nimble saw to clear with and choose a 440. Great choice. For you.

Isn't America great?

Joat

Right, right. You see. It's called choice. He who pays chooses. You like the extra power of a 460 and don't mind the extra weight. Great choice. For you.

You like a light, nimble saw to clear with and choose a 440. Great choice. For you.

Isn't America great?

Joat

All 4 of these saws are within about 1/2 lb of each other. I'd never call the 440 nimble relative to the other 3. It seems to me the 440 is kind of an oddball in the lineup when factoring in price, performance and weight.

However I agree that choice is great!!! My choice is to pass on the Ebay saw. I think he's nuts at that price. ($900 w/freight????)

Maybe he'll sell it the Frenchy!

Lol

All 4 of these saws are within about 1/2 lb of each other. I'd never call the 440 nimble relative to the other 3. It seems to me the 440 is kind of an oddball in the lineup when factoring in price, performance and weight.

Please tell me what those other 3 will do that the 440 won't. Just when it was going good, I get cornfused:help: :help:

However I agree that choice is great!!! My choice is to pass on the Ebay saw. I think he's nuts at that price. ($900 w/freight????)

Maybe he'll sell it the Frenchy!

Uh, oh. Gary ain't gonna like this. Guess we'll be calling him a j$rk again. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Joat

Please tell me what those other 3 will do that the 440 won't. Just when it was going good, I get cornfused:help: :help:

the 7900 has a lot more power and is lighter and more nimble.

the 460 has more power.

a 441 has the same powr, and doesn't vibrate.

Gotta' agree on the 440. Around here the 440 is the king of saws. This is THE heart of Doug fir country too. Logger's paradise (no machine harvesting, its too steep). The 460 is heavier, more expensive, and not nearly as many of them around here. More power, yes. I owned a 460 once. I never had a 440, but in hind sight I probably should have bought that rather than the 460. I might have kept it. :cheers:

the 7900 has a lot more power and is lighter and more nimble.

the 460 has more power.

a 441 has the same powr, and doesn't vibrate.

Good luck finding a Dolmar dealer

The 460 has more power but not enough for the extra pound, dual port cover can easily make up difference.

The 441 is a great saw

Who's next????:hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck finding a Dolmar dealer

The 460 has more power but not enough for the extra pound, dual port cover can easily make up difference.

The 441 is a great saw

Who's next????:hmm3grin2orange:

Me, I really don't see the value proposition with the 440. Especially at the insane price of $900.

440 - 13.9#, 5.4 HP
460 - 14.6#, 6.0 HP
7900 - 13.6#, 6.3 HP
372XP - 13.4#, 5.3HP

P.S. Dolmars dealers are one mouse click away . (at least for parts - unlike Stihl)

Last edited:
Dolmar? those dealers went extinct with the dinosaurs. I thought the price of that 440 was good for a laugh but I won't knock that saw they are very nice to run indeed. The Dolmar dealers are nowhere to be found in northern Ontario so I will have to wait a while before I can run a 7900 oh well I am not too concerned. I could always go to homedepot and rent a makita but I think I will pass.

Latest posts

Back