Anyone prefer the cheap stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We just got over the big snow disaster in Connecticut.. My folks yard had trees down all over. I went over to the folks with my 021 and 361. I never took the 361 out of the car. I own about 40 Stihl saws from 009 to 660 but always grab the cheap 021 first. I know most people on here bag on the homeowner grade saws but They sure seem to get the job done.

I have a $10.00 dollar 021 and its always the first saw I grab. Don't know why but its always the first one out of the truck.

I don't know that I would say I prefer them on a truly even ground. For example, if I had an MS241, my MS250 might not ever see the light of day. But I have a couple homeowner grade Stihls and they can get a lot of work done with a bargain price tag. Lightweight and simple has it's place, and you don't worry much about abusing it.

That's what "truck saws" are perfect for. Keep the "real" saws sharp and ready for serious work.
I used to have a John Deere CS40 for such purposes. I almost wish I hadn't given it to my buddy (a John Deere nut).
I'd like to find an 023 cheap to fill that void. A friend got one at a yard sale this summer for $25 and he loves it (after I fixed it up for him).

i wouldnt say i prefer it but i do like using my 017,,,, small and light

021 was the first Stihl I owned . I still have it and it along with my ms250's get a good workout every time I cut. H ome owner or not they are VERY dependable.
:hmm3grin2orange::msp_wub::msp_wub:

I have a MM'd 025 that I really like for smaller trees and limb work.

Bought an almost new 025 with a stuck chain break for $100. Liked it so much i now have a 023 and a 028.
For the firewood I cut the 023 AND 025 work Great!
I have a bad case of CAD!:bang:

I have a few 025's (4) and a 021 and 023 on the bench right now needing bearings. I use them all the time. They are handy for the smaller stuff and make a great limbing saw.

That's what "truck saws" are perfect for. Keep the "real" saws sharp and ready for serious work.

My truck saw is a Poulan. I don't even know what model it is. It starts and runs for the occasional log in the road, etc. If someone steals it then it serves them right.

I have an 018C that I like for light cutting. It is quite fast with the very narrow gauge chain and very light. A good saw to have in the arsenal. I don't like the quick adjust but at least it doesn't have flippy caps.

For me, it's not so much using cheap models, but anymore I always use the smallest saw that will get the job done. It's easier on the back and body. Why use a 660 when a 180 will get the job done effectively.

No shame with that 021. I have a MS210, and it is a nice lightweight, well built saw for the price. I think the MS210-MS250
(021-025) are underrated around here. They are one of the best bang for the buck series of Stihl saw out there.

For me, it's not so much using cheap models, but anymore I always use the smallest saw that will get the job done. It's easier on the back and body. Why use a 660 when a 180 will get the job done effectively.

Absolutely. I prefer to swing my MS260 to the MS441 any day. I use it for anything up to 20 inches and it has a 16 inch bar most of the time. I was eyeing a MS180 today.:hmm3grin2orange:

I agree

I recently bought a demo MS261, and my 039 has not been cranked since. But I still intend to use it on the bigger stuff. Just to see if I like it enough to keep it. I think I will, and even though it's a bigger homeowner model, I like it pretty well.

021's rock

See my signature pic and see what a 021 can do.

I give mine hell, especially since it is my only saw at the moment. Next step will be a 023 or 025.

My tendency is to "go to" my 35 cc "McCulloch" (Jenn Feng) that I bought 5 yrs ago as a backup.
It's made itself necessary- light, quiet, low vibes, good power, durable, fuel-mileage. Prejudice is silly.
Any work requiring maneuvering vice screaming power, it's first in line. Has handled 20" sugar maple, besides.
Yellow plastic is more visible in the woods than popsicle coloring, and price ... fuhgeddaboudit.
The world is not defined by Stihl.

Latest posts

Back