Anyone prefer the cheap stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ms180

Hi, im new to the site, i bought my ms180 today and it completely shocked me. i was suprised how well it cut some 15"+ rounds i had.
i think it works pretty good for being a "homeowner" saw.

Hi, im new to the site, i bought my ms180 today and it completely shocked me. i was suprised how well it cut some 15"+ rounds i had.
i think it works pretty good for being a "homeowner" saw.

The 180 is quite the overachiever! We had issues with an old 026 Pro and while being slow to repair it, we kept cutting with the 180. Pretty amazing, but finally wore out the drive sprocket and the bar. Got those replaced now and ready to overachieve some more :)

I'm sold on the 025 for groundwork up to 12" wood. After that, the oiler just can't keep up. In fact, the oiler performance is my only gripe with it (16" bar). The 009L I had was a tough old bird too, just not as fast as the 025.

2 months ago I traded a $70 20ga shotgun for an 021 that my buddy had. Said it wouldnt idle right. I drained the old fuel....added fresh. Fattened up the "L" a bit and it runs like a top. This saw has probably only seen 5-10 tanks of fuel. It was originally purchased by the U.S. Gov to cut pallets for a day....thats it. Think it was worth the trade? Here it is on my bench......

2-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

2 months ago I traded a $70 20ga shotgun for an 021 that my buddy had. Said it wouldnt idle right. I drained the old fuel....added fresh. Fattened up the "L" a bit and it runs like a top. This saw has probably only seen 5-10 tanks of fuel. It was originally purchased by the U.S. Gov to cut pallets for a day....thats it. Think it was worth the trade? Here it is on my bench......

That cleaned up real nice! Nice job!

The tree service I work part time at has a Stihl 180. It has taken down quite of few smaller pines. It also has quite of few hours on it dicing large limbs to feed the chipper. It still runs like it is new.

The displacement of most Stihl oil pumps is easily increased with a little time and NO PARTS.
If you can get the oil pump apart and put it back together?

It will take a bit of time to remove the piston and make the flat area a bit bigger.
This mod makes every revolution of the piston pump more oil.
Just don't get too carried away, a little goes a long way.

So take the pump apart and look at the "piston" which isn't really a piston but more of a rotary pump.
There is a flat spot on the 'piston' , make it a little deeper and the pump will flow more oil.

Or
you can just add a little diesel to the bar oil to make it less viscous.

Last edited:
Thanks, David. I'm a pretty good mechanic, so I'm sure it'll be obvious once I get in there. It won't take much, I'm sure. :rock:

Christmas gift to me!

Picked this up this morning from a craigslist add ... MS 180 C-B w/ a 14" mini light bar. Purchased by the original owner for the Nor'easter we had here on 10/30, claims to have run two tanks of gas through it. Real clean ... $150 :hmm3grin2orange:

View attachment 213111

Merry Christmas everyone!!

We had a "wind storm" up in this area a couple months ago. Nearest reporting station claimed 115 mph. I believe it: I laid in bed that night feeling the house vibrate in the gusts. Awoke to find many trees down within the quarter mile of road uphill to the west of us. We are the only ones living on this part of the road, so I began to plan clearing and cutting up the trees. They were all alive, and that means dense with limbs and branches and needles. Lots and lots and lots and lots of limbing. I dreaded using my saws for that because the lightest one is an 036.

I decided to get myself a 211, and when it came in to the dealer, I immediately noticed the plasticky feel to the thing. [I had never had such a small saw.] I liked the light weight. I wondered about all the plastic.

However, after two months, I have used it 80% of the time on those trees. It limbs great, even cuts some of the smaller trunk material with the 16" bar I have on it.

I really like it. They are "cheap" but they are not inexpensive at almost $300. I will definitely be careful not to drop it or anything or I'll be buying plastic. I am almost done limbing, then it'll be the 441 for the 30" trunks, but for a cheap Stihl it leaves me feeling good physically even after a long session of cutting three billion limbs off those trees.

I decided to get myself a 211, and when it came in to the dealer, I immediately noticed the plasticky feel to the thing. [I had never had such a small saw.] I liked the light weight. I wondered about all the plastic.

That plastic is pretty tough. My MS180 had been through a lot before I got it and it has seen some abuse from me as well and it is still in one piece.

Latest posts

Back