Anyone run both a 353 and 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the Bailey's 20NK chain holding up. It looks really cheap. What is your opinion on the teeth hardness and are the tie straps wearing on the bar?
I am thinking about tring some or 95R
ZG

I am have been happy with it. My cutting conditions and the junk I primarily cut doing timber stand improvement are usually anything but pristine. Oregon chain may be great in clean green wood but the Carlton semi chisel (20NK) is much more forgiving. I am not big on sharpening and would personally rather be cutting. The teeth and the tie straps are hard and hold up well. To me, Carlton chain does not stretch nearly as much as Oregon chain does. A good test for me is cutting a piece of locust that has been down on the ground for a couple of years. Proper chain tensioning, replacing drive rims when worn, insuring you have an adequate oil supply to the bar, and either sharpening or switching out chains when they start getting dull go a long way in reducing wear & tear on the bar & chain. I would suggest trying out a loop or two of each and then post your findings here. Your bar is a narrow kerf type, correct?

I have both and I use both alot. There is quite a significant
difference in power in favor of the 346XP.. You will hear from
the sound of it that is more of a race machine than the 353.
Handling, weight, build quality etc is exactly the same.
Go for the 346 if you can afford. If not, the 353 is one fine saw
too! (better than the MS260).

I have both and I use both alot. There is quite a significant
difference in power in favor of the 346XP.. You will hear from
the sound of it that is more of a race machine than the 353.
Handling, weight, build quality etc is exactly the same.
Go for the 346 if you can afford. If not, the 353 is one fine saw
too! (better than the MS260).

:agree2:

It sounds like the 20NK is worth a try. To me it looks like there is little to no competition in the .325-0.50 NK market. This is what you get "like it or lump it"
ZG

Back