Anyone run both a 353 and 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnha

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Okay guys, 4 years ago I bought my 372xp based on information gleaned here and have enjoyed every day of it.

Now I have the dosh to spring for something mid-range and I've decided I want one of these two saws.

I know that owners of either of these saws like them a lot based on all I've read here. So....anyone who has run both of these saws care to comment on which one they prefer and why?

Thanks.

It is my understanding that the 353 and 346XP are sisters, with the 346 being the wild one of the pair. I run a 353 and it has proved to be my most used saw. It is quite handy, nimble and has plenty of power for the small to medium size jobs. I try to stay with a 16" or 18" bar on mine.

If you have the ca$h - then go with the 346XP. Can't go wrong with the XP series saws. You would then have one of the best 2-saw line ups in the industry with your 372XP. If you want to save a little, the 353 is a great little saw. It gets some good reviews here on A/S. Either way, you would be OK.

JQ

I have both saws. The 353 is a good reliable saw that has never let me down, but it's no 346. The 346 is a much stronger, faster cutting saw. If you have the $$$ buy the 346.:cheers:

:agree2:

I have both, and the differense in power seem larger than the specs tell you.

Weight and handling is exactly the same these days, the old 45cc 346 was a tad lighter.

I have both and like both, but the 50cc 346xp definitely makes more power. I think the MSRP difference these days is about $80.

I have both in Red and Black, and like both .....

Muffler modded 2152
attachment.php

attachment.php

I have the 353 and love it. It runs so good. The differences between the 353 and 346 are few but important. The 353 clutch is a spur gear type. The 353 coil is a different. The 353 is a different carb model. The 353 piston is a different part number. The two saw shares cases and plastic, but I think they are different projects. My honest opinion is the 346 is worth the small increase i price.
ZG

I have the 353 and love it. It runs so good. The differences between the 353 and 346 are few but important. The 353 clutch is a spur gear type. The 353 coil is a different. The 353 is a different carb model. The 353 piston is a different part number. The two saw shares cases and plastic, but I think they are different projects. My honest opinion is the 346 is worth the small increase i price.
ZG

No spurs on the 353s here, rim and drum as on the 346....

Piston and cylinder is all that is different between saws made at the same time (+labels, including top cover).

Forgot about the coil - it sure is different as well (rev limited on the 346xp)!

Last edited:
No spurs on the 353s here, rim and drum as on the 346....

Piston and cylinder is all that is different between saws made at the same time (+labels).

There appears to be a quite a difference is the parts lists. The spur gear is fom physical inspection (503.89 21-02)

I wish it had a RIM.
ZG

Last edited:
Are you running .325 or 3/8 low pro chain? Spur sprockets are used primarily with the low pro chain.

I am running the stock H-30/ 95VP NK chain. I am very pleased with the narrow kerf chain. I is great until the bar is buried. I beginning to think the NK chain dosen't move saw dust well. I am not running out of power until the bar is loaded with dust.
ZG

I am running the stock H-30/ 95VP NK chain. I am very pleased with the narrow kerf chain. I is great until the bar is buried. I beginning to think the NK chain dosen't move saw dust well. I am not running out of power until the bar is loaded with dust.
ZG

You just need a sharper chain, or perhaps shorter bar...

ZG

I run 20NK from Bailey's. I was bucking up part of a blown down sugar maple the other day and the 18" bar was just barely long enough to cut through the trunk with one pass. I could still lean on her a bit.

I run 20NK from Bailey's. I was bucking up part of a blown down sugar maple the other day and the 18" bar was just barely long enough to cut through the trunk with one pass. I could still lean on her a bit.

How is the Bailey's 20NK chain holding up. It looks really cheap. What is your opinion on the teeth hardness and are the tie straps wearing on the bar?
I am thinking about tring some or 95R
ZG

Latest posts

Back