Anyone Running A 20" 3/8 Bar On A Husky 550XP Or Gave it A Try ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
550xp that comes with a .325 chain and 18" bar. Wonder if anyone has tried a 20" 3/8 bar on the 550xp or 20" Lite Bar and what were your results ? Did you also try an 18" 3/8 bar and how did it compare to the 18" .325 ? and to the 20" 3/8 ?

Does anyone also have the part number for the 7 spoke 3/8 rim for the 550xp and who sells them ? If I don't switch from and 18" bar I would at least like to go with 3/8" Stihl yellow chain.

I was thinking along the lines of an Oregon Pro Lite 20" bar with Stihl yellow 3/8 chain. Maybe a Sugihara 20" bar ?

I used a friend's Husky 455 rancher with 20" 3/8 bar and liked how it worked for cleanup on the ground.

Appreciate the help,
Thank You

Last edited:
I would want a larger saw for that bar, but the 550 surely will do it - it is just that the balance will be way off (front heavy).

Any decent husky dealer should have the small spline 3/8"-7 sprocket.

Not a 550, but a member here had a 20" 3/8 on a stock 346xp and it impressed me.

I still wouldn't do a 20 on a 50cc.

Not a 550, but a member here had a 20" 3/8 on a stock 346xp and it impressed me.

I still wouldn't do a 20 on a 50cc.

Nor would I, except in a pinch - certainly not for regular use. Balance and handling are the main culprits though - on the stronger 50cc saws.

I run a 16" X 3/8" on all my 3 cube saws including the 550XP

Small spline rims are a commodity item, no p/n required, any shop will have them.

As for the 20" 3/8" combo, go for it if you want. I run 3/8" (16") on some of my 50cc saws - one 5100s and one 346xp - and it works fine. But .325" is definitely smoother, and stays on the bar a lot better than 3/8" if you are cutting twig and small saplings and small branches.

I run a 16" X 3/8" on all my 3 cube saws including the 550XP

I use the 3 cube saws for limbing. For bigger wood, I use bigger chainsaws.

The 550XP is a out of site runner, a great chainsaw.

After Calling 5 of my local Husky dealer without any luck I called Bailey's and they gave me the part number. It's part number ORF 18720 https://www.baileysonline.com/Chain...Power-Mate-Rim-Small-Spline-375-x-7-Tooth.axd

I am also going to try the Oregon Pro Lite 20" bar and run a Stihl 3/8 .050 yellow chain. I am also thinking of getting an 18" pro lite 3/8 bar as well. This way I will really be able to compare and see what I like. I will be sure to post up some videos when I do the comparison.
https://www.baileysonline.com/Chain...00SLHK095-72-Drive-Links.axd?BarSelector=true

Once again thanks to everyone for their help and advise.

I limb with a 20. Saves me from bending over than i need to. I prefer no more than a 18 on a 50cc not because it won't pull it but more because our wood is hard and dirty so oiling is my issue. Now don't take me saying that a 50cc will pull it as a pull it with authority you'll need to be light handed.

Is it ideal? No

Will it function? Yes.

I have been looking at getting a 50cc saw ( 550xp or 261cm) and running an 18- 3/8 set up on it. Id be interested to know if it has a major effect on ballance and perfomace

got a MasterMind 261 still running in, had .325 .063 18" and all good, trying to get most saws on the same chain so going to 18" 3/8 .063, haven't tried it yet but should be fine
Otherwise all 50cc ish saws I've had before have been best with .325 18"/20" max. Oiler output is the limiting factor on the 261 but it runs like a demon with an 18 in hardwood

I have been looking at getting a 50cc saw ( 550xp or 261cm) and running an 18- 3/8 set up on it. Id be interested to know if it has a major effect on ballance and perfomace

I will definately let you know and post up some videos of each setup
I was torn between the Stihl 261 or Husky 550xp. I got a great deal on my husky so I went with it. I am pleased I ordered both the 18" and 20" 3/8 bars that way I will know for sure but based on what most people say the 18" 3/8 will probably be better.

the man in the stihl shop tried to talk me out of 18" 3/8 .063 on a ms261 but mine isn't stock. The original .325 18" balanced well

If you gave the 550xp the full Moody's Mod would it pull the 3/8" 20" with authority ?

I limb with a 20. Saves me from bending over than i need to. I prefer no more than a 18 on a 50cc not because it won't pull it but more because our wood is hard and dirty so oiling is my issue. Now don't take me saying that a 50cc will pull it as a pull it with authority you'll need to be light handed.

Is it ideal? No

Will it function? Yes.

Back