Anyone seeing failures with MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I seeing two different filters here? One is felt and the other looks like a nylon winter filter. Manual is your filter a winter filter??

Yeah It's been a problem sense the saw was new. When I bought it, I asked the dealer if he updated the filter and he said yes.

Now I am seeing a different filter. So what I am wondering is. Has my filter been updated.

I Think I'm wrong about the change to the air filters. Their are 2 types.

This change is what I was thinking about.
attachment.php

That's terrible! Is it leaking around a seam?

Yes they did, This is the "New style" filter.
Heres a look at the inside of the filter. I wiped my finger on the plastic so you can see the sawdust building up.

attachment.php

Now I like this saw, I am just afraid of the damage being done.

:jawdrop: I have never seen anything even remotely like that on my 361, even though it has the old style mesh filter.

They sure did! :)

Nope, fraid not. There are two filters. 1135-120-1601,like the one Manual has, is a winter filter for cutting in snow, low dust conditions. The standard felt filter is 1135-120-1600. This is the filter that should be used at all times far as I'm concerned. Its also the standard filter on all 361's sold in the USA.

Am I seeing two different filters here? One is felt and the other looks like a nylon winter filter. Manual is your filter a winter filter??

Tom I have no Idea, This is what the stihl dealer put on the saw when I bought it.

A little History. The saw was first owned by a friend of mine.
He had troubles with the sawdust.
Lake told me about the upgrade, I gave my Stihl dealer the paper lake sent me.
Then when my friend traded in the saw, I asked the dealer if he upgraded the filter from Stihl bulletin, He said yes.
I bought the saw, This is what I have.

The P/N on the filter is 1135c.

Tom I have no Idea, This is what the stihl dealer put on the saw when I bought it.

A little History. The saw was first owned by a friend of mine.
He had troubles with the sawdust.
Lake told me about the upgrade, I gave my Stihl dealer the paper lake sent me.
Then when my friend traded in the saw, I asked the dealer if he upgraded the filter from Stihl bulletin, He said yes.
I bought the saw, This is what I have.

The P/N on the filter is 1135c.

I recently ordered a few air filters and by mistake I punched in the wrong number. I have the filter you have here on my desk. I'll snap you a pic of brand new 361 here in just a second. You will see the felt filter is still the filter that comes on the 361. As for the Stihl bullentin in question I just checked and there is no bulletin I can find about any air filter upgrade. I think your saw merely needs the standard filter. I really don't understand myself why Stihl bothers with that nylon filter at all..

Nope, fraid not. ....
There is a tread about it on here, and I have a paper printout of a tech note (or whatever they call it) somewhere......

...but I don't remember the reason for the change.

Edit; I found it, it is TI 48.2005.

Last edited:
There is a tread about it on here, and I have a paper printout of a tech note (or whatever they call it) somewhere......

Checking again,LOL, brb.

I smell a cover up. LOL

Now you just wait for lake to get here. Grrrrrrrrrr

That still does not account for the bigger chips.

I tell you there is a bulletin

Ok Sawtroll I found it. The shroud was changed and in doing so the filter was re-sized. The purpose to enhance air flow with the new shroud to prevent carb icing. The filter itself is basicly the same, different shape and size, nothing to do with filtration at all.

I rest my case. Thanks Niko

Ok Sawtroll I found it. The shroud was changed and in doing so the filter was re-sized. The purpose to enhance air flow with the new shroud to prevent carb icing. The filter itself is basicly the same, different shape and size, nothing to do with filtration at all.

I know, but that wasn't the question! :givebeer: :givebeer:

Back