Anyone seeing failures with MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cmetalbend

cmetalbend

ArboristSite Operative
+1, QFT!
The Stihl MS 361 is the best chainsaw I have ever run in my 30 years of experience cutting all sorts of firewood and all sizes of trees. No, I am not a logger or earn my living as a lumberjack, but this saw is an engineering marvel. If I take care of it as well as I take care of all my saws, it will outlast me.
Well said Doc.:clap:

cmetalbend

cmetalbend

ArboristSite Operative
360 stuff

I still can't figure out why they quit making the 360 pro, Was it the price, I mean really. It came with slightly higher compression, adjustable oiler and practically indistructable bore. I've had mine for several years and so far the only thing I ever replaced was the Rim sprocket, and the e-clip to hold it on. It runs so hard it'll take the teeth right off the chain if I hit somthing hard by accident.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Yah know, I do have one problem with my 361. I mean, it is the darndest thing. I do not understand it. It has me scratching my head here. That thing will just not walk on water. I tried several times, and it just sinks. It don't float! Talk about a dud saw. This saw ain't no Jesus saw, I'm 'a tellin' yah... :censored:

Well, and there is this other thing about the 361 too. The darn thing will just plain not run when there is no gas in it. I do not understand that. They are supposed to run and run and run and run, and all this talk about them on this site, I am telling you! It ain't true! They need gas to run! And they need oil mixed in the gas to boot, or they will seize up on yah! Beware! And they also need bar oil, or the bar and chain get real hot and start to smoke, see? I swear, this thing is complete TRASH! What the heck kind of saw does Stihl think they are trying to push down our throats here? :dizzy:

Dag nab it! This site said that these saws would walk on water and run great and beat all to heck and they don't! So you newbies on AS that do not have a 361 yet (you will, its only a metter of time), do not believe what these other fellers say about this 361 saw. It just ain't a perfect saw! No sirree Bob. They don't walk on water, and they need gas to run. :cheers:
..... :greenchainsaw:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2:

Excellent post!

....but it can cure cancer! :givebeer:

Last edited:
Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Nice to see you post NBailey!

The ignition module died on mine within 6 months of me buying it. No biggie, replaced under warranty. My bar was getting brown too and scorching hot but that probably had more to do with the condition of the chain and me dogging in too much than anything else.

Ian

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good post, but the system used on 361 has nothing to do with the air system used on huskys.. it's the "same" system (passive) as the 029 - just a better design.

If you don't mind me asking.
What makes the 361 a better design then the 029.

I like both systems, I can say this because I have owned both saws.

How ever seems it was never brought up that Stihl had problems in the beginning with the 361's filter.

Last edited:
manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Heres my 361's air filter after two days of cutting.

attachment.php

Now lets take a look at the inside.

attachment.php

wanab

wanab

Addicted to ArboristSite
it looks to be dirt passing thru the filter. i dont think a husky filter would be that bad after a week.

Last edited:
boilerhouse47

boilerhouse47

ArboristSite Operative
filter

Manual, I must have a different filter on my 361, because it doesn't have the holes in it like yours does. :) I do believe I have the flocked filter on mine and I don't see any dust under the filter, but I probably don't run it as long between cleanings as you do.

Bcorradi, check your mail

Carl

Former Saw Builder

Former Saw Builder

ArboristSite Guru
I have not run our's enough to make a remark but if they hold up as good as the 036 pro saws we have out their we will be real happy... I personally think the model with the rear handle brake is not the greatest design....

Last edited:
manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Manual, I must have a different filter on my 361, because it doesn't have the holes in it like yours does. :) I do believe I have the flocked filter on mine and I don't see any dust under the filter, but I probably don't run it as long between cleanings as you do.

Bcorradi, check your mail

Carl

The dust is not passing through the holes.
Well maybe ultra fine dust. There is a fine mesh type screen. Not flock type.
looks to me the dust is going around the seal.

Peacock

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
The dust is not passing through the holes.
Well maybe ultra fine dust. There is a fine mesh type screen. Not flock type.
looks to me the dust is going around the seal.

My 280 has a flocked filter, but leaked a bit around the edges. A touch of rtv fixed that.

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
manual, IMO you do have a problem. Has the filter cover knob ever come loose? I may blow mine off after 20 or so tanks and have never cleaned
under the filter.....saw is about 15 months old.

attachment.php

attachment.php

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah It's been a problem sense the saw was new. When I bought it, I asked the dealer if he updated the filter and he said yes.

Now I am seeing a different filter. So what I am wondering is. Has my filter been updated.