Anyone switch from old CB 5648 to gasification stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched from a central boiler 5036 to a portage and main bl3444 when we built the new house, although still not hooked up. I should have just sucked it up and bought a garn. For what I have invested now, the time I have let it go without hooking it up, I have saved enough money that I could have afforded the difference. Hindsight is 20/20!

Whoa Doug. Dang.

What did the dealer have to say? That's crazy.

First two were warranty replacement. Then got the letter suggesting check the elbow when cleaning. Third one lasted two years. I figure consumable part. I should make my own but didn't cost much. I switched from very hard wood to Ash this year. Burning much cleaner with Ash. First year I burned walnut and hated the boiler. I am a fanatic now.

Had to clean my elbow again. Plugged pretty tight. It appears it comes from the low hole that you can see when you remove the elbow. I'm gonna try and clean that area better and the door better to see if it will keep it from plugging. It was easier to remove with the ashtrol in the elbow.

After clearing it I was back up to 1300 degrees. It's been so dang warm this year that I think it has something to do with it. I'm also gonna up my pulse times to every 30 minutes.

The elbow is gonna be a every two week clean in light use scenarios. I don't think it is avoidable.

Here is a screen shot of the stove history. Pretty easy to tell where I was lazy and put in some crappy wetter wood. Split a couple rounds of dry ash and the burn points are crisper and quicker with a higher temp. Stove doesn't run long enough at a 7 degree differential to get much above 1100 degrees. Gonna switch it back to 10 degrees until I turn it off to see if it makes a difference on the elbow.

stove.jpg

I like to run 20 to 25 differintial. Get it running clean and keep it burning clean.

8192b9ce9103592d32b5d1127c353d00.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

195 and 175? Are you running forced air or radiant heat? How long are you running your pulses for? Pulling off that elbow ain't hard but is messy and If i can avoid it all the better.

195 and 175? Are you running forced air or radiant heat? How long are you running your pulses for? Pulling off that elbow ain't hard but is messy and If i can avoid it all the better.

192 to 172 now. Pulses once an hour for 2 minutes. In cold of winter I will go to 0 pulse length. Summer I will go to 4 1/2 minutes pulse length at once and hour. But in summer it on burns twice a day.
Forced air in three buildings. House(2400 sf), garage(2100sf), and shop/office(1800sf).

Thanks for the info. It's a learning experience and all the info I can get will help!

Switched last friday to a 20 degree split. 192-172. Absolutely zero creosote when I pulled the elbow this am. Also much less buildup in general. Thanks for the info Doug.

Shut it down and started cleanup today. The 20 degree split was a great thing. Thanks for the tip Doug. I had zero creosote build up that wasn't crispy ash flavor. Little bit of fiddling with the pulses and timings but nothing crazy. Thanks for all the help and info this season guys! I appreciate you being forthcoming with the info and tips. Made it an easy transition.

Your welcome. Glad its working better. Going to do my spring clean out this weekend. This was a good clean burning season. Not much cold but the wood did burn clean. Except for when it got rained on. I want a car port to store the wood next to the boiler to stay dry from rain and snow.

Latest posts

Back