Anyone try Stihl Motomix Yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Motomix available in the states is only available in 32oz. metal cans. They do have gallon plastic jugs of it in Europe.

I clicked the link on the previous post and saw the plastic jug and thought that is what this thread is about so I assumed Motomix is in the plastic jug.

I have never used the 40:1 or 50:1 of the other brand but was considering using a few cans just so that I can reuse the cans to store my own mix fuel, if is worth doing it to keep fuel fresh longer.

clean burning fuel option

The Motomix available in the states is only available in 32oz. metal cans. They do have gallon plastic jugs of it in Europe.

Do you think this will be available in the 5L jugs anytime soon? Even though it's not aspen2 it's specs are alot better than gasoline!!

Great to have a cleaner burning option even though it''s expensive. Maybe cheaper by the gallon or 5L jugs.

What is alkylate:
It is made in the US by mixing iso-butane with propylenes and/or butylenes in the presence of a catalyst (HF acid). There are other ways but this is a very common method. It is a high grade gasoline blending component. It is high in Octane (certain derivatives are over 100) it also has good burn properties, and very low sulfur.

The biggest advantage for our purposes is simply the lack of ethanol. Therefore it will store for a long time (like years past when you could keep gas for a year) however it will still degrade if left too long.

I use pump gas near a marina near one of my fishing lakes. It is ethanol free and only about 30 cents higher than normal gas. If you have this option I recommend it. The canned fuel is good, but entirely too expensive. For instance, 93 octane at the pump may have 40% alkylate in it just for octane reasons alone, but yet it is only 20 cents higher than 87 octane.

My background: master degree in chemical engineering and 12 years working in a refinery. i am not simply passing along internet myths. This is knowledge gained from working in an alky unit for five years.

hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back