anyone us a pickaroon while unloading, splitting, or stacking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn woodcutter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one but was wondering it might just get in the way. Thoughts?

I have two of the 36" Hume head pickaroons from Peavey.
Absolutely the handiest tool I have for handling wood while splitting and unloading.
There are a few different head shapes available, make sure you choose the one best suited for your needs.

Let's see: chainsaws, fuel & oil, tool bag, hookaroon; check. Other stuff optional, like cant hook..
Hookaroon is blue 3' (LogRite).

I have the 32" model by woodchuck tool and really like it.

I started with a $25 one that said "MiC" on it somewhere. Lasted less than a cord, but helpful enough just unloading the truck that I bought a good one.

Still young enough that I don't get a sore back when lifting logs/rounds off the ground.

However, I find a pickaroon very handy when working in deep snow or having to retrieve logs from water as sometimes happens when cleaning up storm damage or beaver cut trees. I have two and prefer the one with the "barbed" end versus the one with just a point.

I have two. 36" LogRite and an 8' homemade. I haven't had to crawl into the bed to unload in years. I also use it to move rounds, pick up small chunks, pull stuff off the top of ricks, etc. In a word - I am lost without one and it goes where I go whenever I will be working with firewood.

Use one once and you'll never be without one again.

Two years ago I forgot and left 30" logrite on top of the load. Wasn't there when I got home. Straight to the house and ordered the 36" one before I unloaded. I even cut my then 7' homemade one down to 36" to get that load on the ground and then put an 8' handle back in the homemade one.

Harry K

I use my pickeroons for everything, loading and unloading, stacking, pulling rounds to the splitter. I don't mess with wood without one.
As the man said, " handyer than a pocket on a shirt".
I have two, a short one from Pevey and a long one from Labonville (made in Canada), The shorty I use the most.
With my pulp hooks , pickeroons and hand axe, the only thing left is a chainsaw, I can reduce a tree to firewood, with the minimum of stooping and bending.
I even use it to load the furnace, just sit in my chair and hook another split to me for loading.
If you have a problem with sharp and pointy, be berry,berry careful.

I just ordered one from pickaroon.com and got the 48". I can always cut it down if needed. Thanks for the input. I will report back after I have used it.

Mine stays in the truck all the time just so that unloading is easier. Best tool I've bought in years

I guess that's the difference, truck or trailer. I use the tractor and the tote box or trailer. With the tote box, the back comes off and it is all ground level, walk right to the wood, no reaching involved. Off the double axle trailer, I just climb in, little stuff gets tossed in a pile, bigger stuff I roll off the back.

So far, haven't needed to have an extended reach. Don't even think about it. If/when I unload from a pickup, same deal, I'll just climb up in there.

Now, splitting directly off the tailgate, sure, can see it being real useful then.

Hmmm...why this is..I think I know, thinking about it a minute. I am not tall! Even with some grabber stick, I still couldn't reach, so..climb in and do it. I would need an 8 foot pickaroon with a dogleg in it..no point to that at all, silly. I can't even see over the sides of my half ton much, let alone the 3/4 sitting on tall military tires. No way I could reach in there and grab anything, pickaroon or not.

They are nice for unloading a trailer or truck with the extra reach, but they also are nice when working maneuvering big rounds around the wood splitter. Or tipping the rounds back up on edge for noodling. You don't have to get down and hug those big, heavy pieces, just hook em, and pull the handle.

I guess that's the difference, truck or trailer. I use the tractor and the tote box or trailer. With the tote box, the back comes off and it is all ground level, walk right to the wood, no reaching involved. Off the double axle trailer, I just climb in, little stuff gets tossed in a pile, bigger stuff I roll off the back.

So far, haven't needed to have an extended reach. Don't even think about it. If/when I unload from a pickup, same deal, I'll just climb up in there.

Now, splitting directly off the tailgate, sure, can see it being real useful then.

Hmmm...why this is..I think I know, thinking about it a minute. I am not tall! Even with some grabber stick, I still couldn't reach, so..climb in and do it. I would need an 8 foot pickaroon with a dogleg in it..no point to that at all, silly. I can't even see over the sides of my half ton much, let alone the 3/4 sitting on tall military tires. No way I could reach in there and grab anything, pickaroon or not.

Even being short one would be very useful. I used to roll the big rounds, bend over push, shove, roll, etc. Now I just walk along and 'encourage' them to roll with the hookeroon. Just on exampleof a use - there are many others, not just unloading. As for reach? it extends your reach by a whole bunch no matter how tall/short you are.

Use one once and you will wonder why you didn't get one years ago.

Harry K

Srb, what do you recommend?
I've found the 36" Hume head to be the best all around length and shape for my needs. It's sharp, so you can stick it in the end of a round for dragging. It's got enough hook to allow you to pull rounds and splits out of the truck.
The 36" length allows you to reach into a truck or trailer and is about right when pulling rounds to the splitter.
The handle configuration on the Peavey indexes well in the hand when you pick it it. The round steel handles are sturdier but when I've used them, I find myself looking at the hook and adjusting my grip to make sure it's properly oriented.
When I'm dragging rounds, I use two pickaroons, one in each hand and drag two at a time.
I ordered a couple of extra handles when I bought mine three years ago but I didn't need to, the handles are plenty tough.
I like the Pickaroons from Peavey but there are good offerings from other companies.

I made my own out of a maul handle and use it for hooking rounds to the splitter or bringing rounds to the stack. I also use a hay bail hook at the splitter to stand rounds up to be split or turn them to the splitter. Gloved hands don't always grab well on big rounds so the hook does a good job replacing my hand. It's the manner in which I work that makes them handy. I split sitting down, grab from the right and throw to the trailer on my left. A one man operation that gets the job done.

Back