anyone us a pickaroon while unloading, splitting, or stacking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at hookaroons and pickaroons online and found this one on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171428480274

They're made at a small tool shop run by a father and son team about 60 miles north of me. I just picked one up last week, $52.
They are a nice size and weight with a 31" white oak handle and they make the handles from rough white oak in their wood shop.
hipps pickaroon 2.jpg hipps pickaroon.jpg
We really like using it as it makes handling logs easier, especially for me with my bad back. My 18yo son was using it tonight alongside the Fiskars x27:

I was looking at hookaroons and pickaroons online and found this one on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171428480274

They're made at a small tool shop run by a father and son team about 60 miles north of me. I just picked one up last week, $52.
They are a nice size and weight with a 31" white oak handle and they make the handles from rough white oak in their wood shop.
View attachment 365348 View attachment 365349
We really like using it as it makes handling logs easier, especially for me with my bad back. My 18yo son was using it tonight alongside the Fiskars x27:

coolness...WOOD SLAVE,,the easiest way and best tool to get your firewood split....

Wood Slave? That's the best thing you can do for that boy.
My Dad bought me a 12# sledge for my 14th BD. Then he pointed to a pile of large bolders and said "I want to build a stone wall, knock them down to size."
I put inches on my arms and chest that summer, those muscles have serverd me well over the years.
What doesen't kill you, makes you better. Or so I've been told, or just an excuse to get more work out of you.

Zogger likes this.

I use my pickeroons for everything, loading and unloading, stacking, pulling rounds to the splitter. I don't mess with wood without one.
As the man said, " handyer than a pocket on a shirt".
I have two, a short one from Pevey and a long one from Labonville (made in Canada), The shorty I use the most.
With my pulp hooks , pickeroons and hand axe, the only thing left is a chainsaw, I can reduce a tree to firewood, with the minimum of stooping and bending.
I even use it to load the furnace, just sit in my chair and hook another split to me for loading.
If you have a problem with sharp and pointy, be berry,berry careful.

Still young enough that I don't get a sore back when lifting logs/rounds off the ground.

However, I find a pickaroon very handy when working in deep snow or having to retrieve logs from water as sometimes happens when cleaning up storm damage or beaver cut trees. I have two and prefer the one with the "barbed" end versus the one with just a point.

100% agree with the barbed point. My Dad and I pulled literally thousands of pieces out of the back of pickups over the last 40+ years and he swore by the style with the barbed end. Several years ago when my folks were visiting, my Dad pulled a pickaroon out of the back of the truck and said "this is for you"; below are pics....the barbed end helps to keep the business end from coming out of the wood as your're pulling it towards you.
GEDC2125.JPG
GEDC2126.JPG

100% agree with the barbed point. My Dad and I pulled literally thousands of pieces out of the back of pickups over the last 40+ years and he swore by the style with the barbed end. Several years ago when my folks were visiting, my Dad pulled a pickaroon out of the back of the truck and said "this is for you"; below are pics....the barbed end helps to keep the business end from coming out of the wood as your're pulling it towards you.
View attachment 483751
View attachment 483752

Dumb question, but what keeps the heads on those so they don't pull off?

View attachment 483751
View attachment 483752

Mine is a logrite. 1st one h ad that little hook, second one not as much hook. Short session at the navil with BFH fixed that. My 8' homemade has that hook also. I wouildn't have a pickaroon without one.

Harry K

View attachment 483751
View attachment 483752
Good for you dad to give it to you. It looks in good enough shape to last long enough for you to give to your kids.:clap:

Mikey517, got any first hand experience or stories about your 36" council tool Hookaroon? I just ordered one and would like to hear of some first hand experience on use of one. I just need a little help moving some rounds to the splitter. I am 77 so need to protect the back as much as I can. Thanks so much

Mikey517, got any first hand experience or stories about your 36" council tool Hookaroon? I just ordered one and would like to hear of some first hand experience on use of one. I just need a little help moving some rounds to the splitter. I am 77 so need to protect the back as much as I can. Thanks so much

Moving 'rounds' with a hookeroon is easy.

1. hook with the 'roon to upend them
2. Walk along teasing them along with the 'roon.

It is even much faster than bending over and rolling them by hand.

They should be considered an absolute necessity in firewoodign toold. I am debating gettin a second one so I don't have to keep moving one from the truck to the wood pile.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back