Anyone using these borazon wheels?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use them in the machine shop. As with diamond wheels, we touch them with the dressing/cleaning stick after each pass. (each tooth in this instance)

The cleaning stick is a white ceramic material. I'm use it a few times per long chain to unload the wheel.

Yes.... no "dressing" in the conventional sense..

Where can the Dressing/cleaning stone be bought?

How do these wheels compare to the diamond segmented wheels? http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1764?mv_session_id=MEwL9IUz&product_sku=AB6 316

Do these cut the chains better and do they cut "cooler" so there is less chance of burning the cutters?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the wheel in the link is a diamond wheel, I believe it is borazon as well, from a different manufacturer. I believe these are what dinasaw recommends. I'm sure these are good wheels, but they cost twice as much as my grinder!!!

Where can the Dressing/cleaning stone be bought?

How do these wheels compare to the diamond segmented wheels? http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1764?mv_session_id=MEwL9IUz&product_sku=AB6 316

Do these cut the chains better and do they cut "cooler" so there is less chance of burning the cutters?

Bailey's aren't Diamond - they are ABN - Borazon - Boron nitrite.
I've used the Balileys wheel ... o.k., but nothing special in terms of "cooling and burning". I use another brand continous rim version most of the time and it performs just the same with respect to that claim.

They may seem expensive, but they are cheaper then buying the equivalent number of conventional wheels, and there is no stone dust.

ABN or CBN do cut "better", hold their profile indefinitely, but you can burr and burn a chain just like any wheel.

I buy my cleaning stone from the local hardware store.

Cleaning sticks are a couple of bucks from Enco. You can dress and shape Borazon and diamond wheels, you dont need to. Enco has a free chipping code each month. The cleaning sticks are because the wheels get loaded with the heat and if you can keep the wheel wet, it really helps. A carb
type where you siphon a little coolant along with the air to cool it is ideal, but thats just the tool and cutter talking.

Cooled and cleaned they really last a long tine, misused, you can trash them pretty quick.

Just my .02, I don't get to offer much tech info, you guys do that

Rob

Cleaning sticks are a couple of bucks from Enco. You can dress and shape Borazon and diamond wheels, you dont need to. Enco has a free chipping code each month. The cleaning sticks are because the wheels get loaded with the heat and if you can keep the wheel wet, it really helps. A carb
type where you siphon a little coolant along with the air to cool it is ideal, but thats just the tool and cutter talking.

Cooled and cleaned they really last a long tine, misused, you can trash them pretty quick.

Just my .02, I don't get to offer much tech info, you guys do that

Rob

Funny. I went to msc and for some reason, didn't go to the little brother...

Thought I'd dig this back up. I just bought one of those $75 CBN wheels and I love it. I knew I didn't like dressing those vitrified wheels and wasn't much good at it, but didn't know what it was costing me. From the first tooth I put the CBN to, I knew something was different. There was an obvious change to the shape of the side plate and the resulting chain cut MUCH better than what I produced on the grinder before. The only questionable thing about it is that it's a 60 grit wheel. It leaves the tooth pretty rough as compared to a file. Now I just have to come up with one of those cleaning sticks to maintain it.

Ian

group rate

Haywood;
Think I should try to get a group rate on them? The aluminum oxide dressing sticks that is.

I can get Norton 1x1x6 and 1/2x1/2x6

It doesn't get much better than Norton.

Thing is I have to buy in lots of 20 or more to get the price break. If I can get enough, I'll send them out like the washer/shim kits, pay when you get them.

The 1/2x1/2 is half the price of the 1x1 but 1/4 the size, so 1x1 is the way to go.

Thoughts???

Rob

Last edited:
I just ordered one for my Oregon grinder. I hope that I have as good luck as you others have had.

Bob

In any type of grinding you must keep the wheel clean of build up.In industrial applications such as grinding camshafts,they use a constant flow of coolant over the wheel.They also periodically dress the wheel to assure a good finish.

I don't grind chains but I do have some tiny little points etc that fit in both the diegrinders and the smaller Dremel types that are CBN.I don't use then on the saws because they would load up almost instantly cutting aluminum.

I also have a flat CNB wheel that is used to cut carbide to reshape lathe tools.Due to the fact that I normally use replaceable carbide inserts,it seldom gets any use.Fact is,I'm not real sure what I did with it at the moment.

Sure, I'm in. According to my reading, a soft aluminum oxide stick in about an 80-100 grit should be the right ones for these wheels.

Ian

I can get a price break at 20+. Grit is fine. I don't know the price in the real world. I can do Norton 1x1x6 for $8.00 delivered.

Could someone check if this is a good deal for you.

Rob

If it is I'll start a thread for them.

Back