Anything good to say about MS201T?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&L Landscaping

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have read through some of the threads about the new MS201T and the consensus is that it's a turd. I'm interested in getting a quality top handle saw but if it really is a dog I may try to find a clean MS200T.

Local tree guy brought us his 200T for service. And had ordered a 201T, he went back to the OPE shop and told them he wanted his money back, or a new 200T. He is getting another 200T, and we just ordered him another one. That makes 4 for him, and says he hope he never has to run the 201T again... But I believe with the mods Brad did, it should be good to go. He only gets 1 year warranty since they are registered to the tree service anyways

Seems that all these new saws need modding to make them as good as the older ones, Bah!

Why would you buy a new saw that needs modded?????????

What a bunch of crap, Ill stick with the "old technology"

Waste of time pissing around, the warranty is meaningless on a pro-grade stihl, just bung an extra hole in the muffler, makes all the difference in the world on stifled saws, about a 10mm hole, the 200T already has that extra hole when the screens removed, 201 disadvantage looks to be just the annoying tamper proof jetting to hassle with

here's a stock 200T(with a 192T sidecover) running the stihl .050 1/4 pitch 12" setup

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tRMCHNc4nS0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I got one and removed the.screen .
Used briefly will report back after using today

I got one and removed the.screen .
Used briefly will report back after using today

Removing the screen isn't going to do much for you. It does not open up hole in the muffler to make a second port like the 200T did. You're going to have to drill a hole in it if you want to make a difference. BTW, I hope you removed the limiter and retuned the carb first. Most of these new saws are on the lean edge already.

The 201 isn't much out of the box but I sent it out to Mr. Snelling and he did a bang up job on it. It's sad that an extra hundred dollars had to be spent ( Brad got $50, the rest was shipping ) in order to make it run like it should but that saw is now quite impressive. The work Brad did made it run stronger than either of my muff modded 200T's. It is taking a little to get used to not hearing the WAH-WAH scream that those 200's are known for when you hit the throttle but when the 201 is completely buried in the wood and it keeps pulling for more a smile crosses my face. My biggest beef now is the on/off switch is a little small for my hands. No biggie.

I'm probably going to send mine to Mr. Snelling as well. That is, if, Santa Claus comes through for me! :msp_thumbsup:

Removing the screen isn't going to do much for you. It does not open up hole in the muffler to make a second port like the 200T did. You're going to have to drill a hole in it if you want to make a difference. BTW, I hope you removed the limiter and retuned the carb first. Most of these new saws are on the lean edge already.
Thanks for the info

Im putting the screen back in.

Gonna use it in.stock.form.until i decide.whats next

It really is too bad they need some work to run like they should. I'm doing two more today.

Brad hooked me up a couple weeks ago. His modded 201T is very nice and I would even say better than a 200T. The saw is well balanced and feels lighter. Yes! The on/off button is a little weird... have to get used to.

p.s. - Brad! I may be asking you for one more after the new year. I am that happy with your 201T

Latest posts

Back