apple wood pros and cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

split4fun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I went to a local orchard and asked about a fallen apple tree and the owner offered me 15 apple trees to cut. Is apple wood high or low quality firewood.

I went to a local orchard and asked about a fallen apple tree and the owner offered me 15 apple trees to cut. Is apple wood high or low quality firewood.

Dont know about firewood, but it really makes a great addition to the smokehouse!!:cheers:

apple is great firewood. High BTU's, nice smell and sometimes gives off an interesting colored flame. Sometimes the pieces ain't too straight is about the only drawback I can think of.

It has been a long while since I have had a quantity of apple. As I recall a half burned piece will spark and pop like fireworks if disturbed in the fire. So be careful when adding wood. Other than that it burns great and gives off plenty of heat.

High-quality firewood, but (1) tough to split (2) takes a year or so to dry and (3) pieces are curved all over the place.

+1 I have 3 more to take down. They had a big vine take them over and has all but finished them off. Ranks right up there with hickory as far as splitting. My buddy takes all I can get to smoke with. He loves it.

+1 I have 3 more to take down. They had a big vine take them over and has all but finished them off. Ranks right up there with hickory as far as splitting. My buddy takes all I can get to smoke with. He loves it.

Anytime I luck into apple wood, I put the word out and the 'smokers' line up. Have burned some and it is great!

Harry K

It burns HOT! splits ok, and smells good.

If it's an old orchard, plan on more brush wrestling than cutting.

Lotsa work for little wood, but if it's all ya got, grab it!!

Otherwise save it for the smoker!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It is terrible wood, all those bends and imperfections. Splits like hell too.:newbie:

Here's the solution: rent a fullsized U-Haul. Stack carefully all those "pro/con" 15 Apple trees inside. Find your way to Maine Route 1 north and east. You will find yourself in Bucksport. You will be met there. Follow the pickup east to Horseshoe Cove, Penobscot Bay. We will unload said truck. Beer will be provided. You then return to that empty "pro/con" apple orchard.:rockn:

Thank You. :D

Apple makes wicked excellent firewood...just hard to make decent production quotas if high cordage #'s is your main goal.

It's almost a shame to put it in the stove, based on how well it does in the smoker.

It does rock in the stove

:agree2:

If you know someone who BBQ's/smokes meats... he will love you forever if you sold/gave him that apple wood... let me tell ya! I sure wish I had some apple wood.

A few years ago, I stumbled upon a grove of apples in a disused orchard that had since been released and reverted to forest. The apples get outcompeted by faster growing pioneer species and get stunted. Damn things won't say die and will continue on in the understory sometimes for decades.

My property is covered with old apple trees in the understory. I try to save the wood for BBQ but much of it is standing dead and starting to get punky. It's excellent firewood when solid (as is nearly all fruitwood).

The smell of apple smoke is one of my fondest memories. We had an orchard when I was growing up. They are never very big logs, but burn ferociously.
Love the wood, hate the pruning, oil spraying, harvesting.

good quality hard to get people smoke with it.

You right! We have alot of orchards out here and a place called Zak's Barbie Q's with it! Boy do those ribs taste good. As far as burning it for heat I guess it would make the house smell good.

very hard to split and stack ,lots of knots twists and curves ,makes excellent firewood though..as good as the mighty oak

Latest posts

Back