apple wood pros and cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
acer saccharum

acer saccharum

ArboristSite Member
It has been a long while since I have had a quantity of apple. As I recall a half burned piece will spark and pop like fireworks if disturbed in the fire. So be careful when adding wood. Other than that it burns great and gives off plenty of heat.

wigglesworth

wigglesworth

Booned
High-quality firewood, but (1) tough to split (2) takes a year or so to dry and (3) pieces are curved all over the place.

+1 I have 3 more to take down. They had a big vine take them over and has all but finished them off. Ranks right up there with hickory as far as splitting. My buddy takes all I can get to smoke with. He loves it.

turnkey4099
+1 I have 3 more to take down. They had a big vine take them over and has all but finished them off. Ranks right up there with hickory as far as splitting. My buddy takes all I can get to smoke with. He loves it.

Anytime I luck into apple wood, I put the word out and the 'smokers' line up. Have burned some and it is great!

Harry K

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
It burns HOT! splits ok, and smells good.

If it's an old orchard, plan on more brush wrestling than cutting.

Lotsa work for little wood, but if it's all ya got, grab it!!

Otherwise save it for the smoker!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
It is terrible wood, all those bends and imperfections. Splits like hell too.:newbie:

Here's the solution: rent a fullsized U-Haul. Stack carefully all those "pro/con" 15 Apple trees inside. Find your way to Maine Route 1 north and east. You will find yourself in Bucksport. You will be met there. Follow the pickup east to Horseshoe Cove, Penobscot Bay. We will unload said truck. Beer will be provided. You then return to that empty "pro/con" apple orchard.:rockn:

Thank You. :D

woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
A few years ago, I stumbled upon a grove of apples in a disused orchard that had since been released and reverted to forest. The apples get outcompeted by faster growing pioneer species and get stunted. Damn things won't say die and will continue on in the understory sometimes for decades.

Jon E

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
My property is covered with old apple trees in the understory. I try to save the wood for BBQ but much of it is standing dead and starting to get punky. It's excellent firewood when solid (as is nearly all fruitwood).

Booshcat

Booshcat

ArboristSite Operative
The smell of apple smoke is one of my fondest memories. We had an orchard when I was growing up. They are never very big logs, but burn ferociously.
Love the wood, hate the pruning, oil spraying, harvesting.

flotek

flotek

Addicted to ArboristSite
very hard to split and stack ,lots of knots twists and curves ,makes excellent firewood though..as good as the mighty oak

Latest posts