Are All MS 260s Created Equal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stonecoldtractors

stonecoldtractors

ArboristSite Lurker
IMG_0502.JPG

So I now have 2x MS260s and I'm planning on selling one as one was my Dad's and he can't use it anymore.

The oldest of the two is approximately a 2006 or maybe even a 2005. The newer one is for sure a 2009.

I was planning to sell the older one as it was used a lot more and the newest one hasn't seen much use, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't selling a better version. Is there any feature or quality difference between these years?

Full Chisel

Full Chisel

Slingin' Stihls and runnin' Huskies
Older ones had a more open muffler...check to see how many holes are under the deflector. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor though, a more "muffled" muffler can be easily opened up. I would keep the newer one...seals less likely to need replaced.

andrethegiant70

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
As noted above, there are some differences over the years. One of the things that I noticed is that, after a point, all the cases were cast with a hole to access the adjustable oiler, whether or not there were installed. So if you intend to build one up with the better oiler, you'd better find a case that is cast with the access port.

I've also heard that the porting for the smaller bore was preferable. I haven't compared them side by side, so I can't personally verify this.

stonecoldtractors

stonecoldtractors

ArboristSite Lurker
Older ones had a more open muffler...check to see how many holes are under the deflector. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor though, a more "muffled" muffler can be easily opened up. I would keep the newer one...seals less likely to need replaced.
I've already fixed the muffler restriction issue on both of them and removed the H limiter.

Latest posts