Are all of these modded saws reliable, dependable, and will they last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say that the only way a modified saw, engine, whatever, will last longer than a stock one is if the stock engine had a defect (say poor oiling system, cooling system, etc). All things being equal, more power with the same system means a shorter life span.

I'd say that the only way a modified saw, engine, whatever, will last longer than a stock one is if the stock engine had a defect (say poor oiling system, cooling system, etc). All things being equal, more power with the same system means a shorter life span.
It is far more complex than that. Chainsaw manufacturers have to adhere to strict emissions criteria. They run hot, they run lean, they run plugged up. What you are implying is analogous to saying a top Olympic athlete will not live as long as a couch potato that watches tv and stuffs his face with Cheezies and Doritos all day.

Last edited:
Im glad the OP got the answers he was looking for before our desent into "mine's bigger than your's " ! Anyway notwithstanding race chains, proof of increased production etc what I will add is I'm possibly the only member with saw's from both of the builders whom have posted on this thread and I have to say that saw's are so similar in power and the way they deliver that power that your money will be well spent with either if that's what you want to do.
On my Snellerized 441 I have a 28" ES Light bar and RSC chain and I know that my standard 441 would struggle with that on a daily basis and before anyone say's " it would be ok just take your time" Im at work not play, my Simonized 372 has a 24" and Oregon 72 LPX chain and 8 pin sprocket and has pretty much made my 394 redundant. I'm not saying that it is as powerful as the 394 but it's near enough that I'm taking the 372 over it for work. This is all in hardwoods Beech, Ash and Oak.

It is far more complex than that. Chainsaw manufacturers have to adhere to strict emissions criteria. They run hot, they run lean, they run plugged up. What you are implying is analogous to saying a top Olympic athlete will not live as long as a couch potato that watches tv and stuffs his face with Cheezies and Doritos all day.

Mmmm, cheezies and Doritos. To heck with beef, that whats for dinner. Shameless plug time: two thumbs up for Scorchin’ habanero Doritos. If you can find em, they are something else. Make you run like a modded saw.

Mmmm, cheezies and Doritos. To heck with beef, that whats for dinner. Shameless plug time: two thumbs up for Scorchin’ habanero Doritos. If you can find em, they are something else. Make you run like a modded saw.[/QUOTE]

Then they must not be worth eatin then. No increase in productivity after eatin a whole bag.:dizzy::dizzy:

Mmmm, cheezies and Doritos. To heck with beef, that whats for dinner. Shameless plug time: two thumbs up for Scorchin’ habanero Doritos. If you can find em, they are something else. Make you run like a modded saw.[/QUOTE]

Then they must not be worth eatin then. No increase in productivity after eatin a whole bag.:dizzy::dizzy:

May be that should say give you the runs. Lots of productivity after a bag or two. Testing preferably with cheap American beer is the only way to be sure.

Chain certainly makes a difference, I'll never buy a race chain but would like to run one some day.
I wont run square chain where I cut, it's sandy and I think it would just eat those chains for lunch! I'd love to, but I don't want to file that much!
Back on the original theme, let me through out a caveat:
I've heard many times people buy a saw but it doesn't run as good as so and so's same saw. Both stock, both properly tuned, it's a common enigma though, some saws just run better.
So, does this mean, even in stock form, that the one that runs better will have a shorter life span because of the increased RPM's and increased load that it's capable of pulling?

I am sorry but anybody who thinks a modded saw, wait let me rephrase that, a correcty modded saw will not outproduce a stock saw is flat out fooling himself [or herself for that matter] or has no real experience to back up the claim. I had my eyes opend up recently and really wished I had it done sooner. The saw is in my hands less time, it is faster [by quite a bit] through the cut, it requires less effort to pull through the cut, it gets more work done for the fuel it consumes. I have never cut a cookie before in my life until I got my 372 back, then I had to prove it to myself that the 372 is faster than my 390 so I guess that yea now you can accuse me of cutting cookies!! CJ
I have always found that it's not so much the saw that determines the out put of production, but the man behind the saw himself. No doubt a good man with a good modded saw will produce good results, but I have also seen a piss poor guy with a good modded saw really suck on production and not hold a candle to one with a stock saw and some grit in his blood.

I didn't read the entire thread, but here's my opinion.

Some types of modding will increase the life and other types of modding will decrease life.
Opening the muffler, widening the exhaust and minor polishing of the piston windows and transfers will allow more lube and more air flow and run cooler.... lasting longer.

Excessive compression will no doubt decrease the life of the saw.

Today's saws are choked due to the epa. Let's look at a couple of my favorite classics for example...
The Pioneer P62... the stock factory exhaust port width is 70% the bore. Not many modders would even go that wide for a woods port on a customers saw.
Another is the Partner 5000+, it turns 14,000 from the factory. That's close to what most woods ported saws turn.
Both these saws are from the early eighties. There are thousands of them still being used today... they were not choked up by the epa.

The only guy that has provided any real data with real numbers from his record book is Matt MCW, everyone else is talking from their A$$. 40% 50% better production, come on, way to many variables here to just say my saws faster so I get more wood on the ground.

When most guys first start running saws like Hillbilly they don't know anything about tuning chains and so on, this was very obvious in Hillbilly's first vid of his EC 372 it was turning what 10,000 rpm's it was so rich. My point, when most start running ported saws they start paying attention to tune, chain and so on.:msp_rolleyes:

you have it backwards.. By the time I got my hands on a ported version of what I used every day, I spent less time on the stump and less time bucking, noticably less time.
So yea, my saw got faster, and I put more wood on the ground, WOW that is complicated. Of course if you are clutzy with a saw, ported, turboed, NOSed, wont halp you much.. . VERY c:yoyo:mplicted

In over my head? Really. Could it be that all the sudden ported saws just arent what they are cracked up to be? And could that be cause Simon's 372 smoked one of your 385's? Or maybee the 4% 660. Its quite obvious Brad that both you and Andy are downplaying the effectiveness of a GOOD ported saw. Just because you or your BFF cant get the gains that Eric, Simon or Terry can get not to mention other builders at that dosent mean that ported saws wont produce more firewood or lgging wood than a stock saw. Sorry bout ya luck. Thats right guys, just because your ported saws are getting a bad reputation Brad sure as heck dosent mean that the REAL PRO's saw should too.

Dude you're nuts, if you don't remember Brad is actually disagreeing with me in this thread and standing up for ported saws.

Longevity and life of the saw? I believe that's more a function of how the saw is maintained than it is of whether or not it's ported. Abuse it, and it will likely burn up faster than a stock saw. But, take care of and use a ported saw properly, and it's going to live a long life.

Useability? A properly modded saw will run at least as good as a stock one. I'm not talking power, but ease of starting, idle, and throttle response. Porting usually improves these.

It's pretty much a win-win situation.

That doesn't sound like the Andre I know that LOVES his ported saws and loves to run them. Are you feeling ok?:)

Andy, it really dosent matter to me.

Than why did you act like it did? I sent you a PM, but guess you prefer to keep this in an open forum.:msp_thumbdn:

What troubles me the most is the fact we can't have a simple debate about an issue with the likes of Hilbilly turning this into a bash a guy thread. I run ported saw, you bet I like them, but what is wrong with asking the tough question? sometimes the obvious answer isn't always the correct answer.

Matt thanks for putting the question of productivity to rest, and for making an intelligent well thought out post, it sure seems like some here can only sling mud and get defensive when tough questions are asked.

Last edited:
Than why did you act like it did? I sent you a PM, but guess you prefer to keep this in an open forum.:msp_thumbdn:

What troubles me the most is the fact we can't have a simple debate about an issue with the likes of Hilbilly turning this into a bash a guy thread. I run ported saw, you bet I like them, but what is wrong with asking the tough question? sometime the obvious answer isn't always the correct answer.

Matt thinks for putting the question of productivity to rest, and for making an intelligent well thought out post, it seems like some here can only sling mud and get defensive when tough questions are asked.

Andy, go lay down and rest son. You act like you really need to.

Very few saw users on AS will wear out a ported saw. There are only a handful of everyday saw users on here and those are the people who may wear one out. The odds are other parts of the saw will fail before the cylinder or rotating assembly fails, even with everyday loggers.

Latest posts

Back