Are you guys on the East coast getting ready for the Hurricane?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was lucky, never lost power. wind wasn't too bad. pretty mild overall.

i know sawgarage is without power, and his basement is flooded. but his basement floods out super easy.

Got a call for help...4' around and about 120' tall is down and we need a big saw......
NO PROBLEM!!!!

There lined up for loading tomorrow morning, chains sharpened and asking if they can cut first??!!
100MEDIA_IMAG0653.jpg

I should have video tomorrow of these guys and a few more.:tongue2: The 044 is keeping them in line!

Hope everybody is ok..

It has been rather boring here and dry as well. Hope everyone else makes it out safely.

The lane washed out bad and a couple of small trees dropped - one on a fence I just fixed. The generator ran great but I shut it off around noon to save fuel while I went out to drag the lane and cut up the downed trees. Everything was going well until I went back some hours later to restart the generator.......

The brass carb float sank and maybe 4 gallons of gasoline leaked out on our basement level porch. I could smell it before I even got close to the house. You'd think between the kids and my wife someone would have noticed something was very wrong and let me know, but no. :angry::angry::angry::bang:

Thankfully it did not get worse in the way it obviously could have. I cobbled the carb back together with pieces from another one, had to fabricate a bowl gasket out of rubber spaghetti and a main jet gasket out of gasket material. It was a real project to do and I'm covered with gasoline. We're still out of power, but the generator runs. I don't really trust the float I had to use but it runs. I will most certainly turn the fuel shut off next time.

Oh yeah, saws. I was only running the 142 today, nothing was very big. It's a wonderful little saw and ran like a top. My neighbor down the road did have something bigger fall over though - it looks like a cherry. I may cut that up tomorrow.

Now I'm off to take a cold shower (can't run the hot water heater) to try to get the stench off me.

There doesn't seem to be much going on even though half the town lost power. We drove around a bit, but didn't see much but leaves on the road. :laugh:

Same here...went over to check on the horses around 5:30.....and drove down to the boat landing to watch the boats go up and down....blue sky showing through here and there..still blowing 20-40 MPH and a spit of rain from time to time......bunch of leaves down and a few standing dead spruce fell over...a branch now and then. If no one had told me about the hurricane...I'd have thought this just another crappy day on "The Beautiful Rockbound Coast of Maine".........power has been out since noon....generator taking up the slack...all normal here.....

One Wierd Irene

Same here...went over to check on the horses around 5:30.....and drove down to the boat landing to watch the boats go up and down....blue sky showing through here and there..still blowing 20-40 MPH and a spit of rain from time to time......bunch of leaves down and a few standing dead spruce fell over...a branch now and then. If no one had told me about the hurricane...I'd have thought this just another crappy day on "The Beautiful Rockbound Coast of Maine".........power has been out since noon....generator taking up the slack...all normal here.....
This was one crazy storm! Nothing all night. Told the wife around 11 am that we dodged the bullet then all hell broke loose. Started having hurricane force gusts and periods of downpours. Went out to see about possible tree jobs, few trees down. Then about 1/2 hr later limbs are coming down and the phone is ringing for Captain Chainsaw and we're like in a hurricane. Weirdest storm ever been thru. Ended up cutting up 2 huge locust trees, a cherry, and a burr oak that came right out of the ground, must be 3ft across. Went out again later and there's trees down everywhere. Power is out everywhere. Using the generator to write this. Whole town is shut down. 150/200 yr old trees down all over town. Really strange storm. Well got to get to bed. Saws will be hummin' all day tomorrow. Take care everyone. Goodnight!

This was one crazy storm! Nothing all night. Told the wife around 11 am that we dodged the bullet then all hell broke loose. Started having hurricane force gusts and periods of downpours. Went out to see about possible tree jobs, few trees down. Then about 1/2 hr later limbs are coming down and the phone is ringing for Captain Chainsaw and we're like in a hurricane. Weirdest storm ever been thru. Ended up cutting up 2 huge locust trees, a cherry, and a burr oak that came right out of the ground, must be 3ft across. Went out again later and there's trees down everywhere. Power is out everywhere. Using the generator to write this. Whole town is shut down. 150/200 yr old trees down all over town. Really strange storm. Well got to get to bed. Saws will be hummin' all day tomorrow. Take care everyone. Goodnight!

Were they uprooted or snapped?

Were they uprooted or snapped?

I went to one old couple where 2 locusts were uprooted in a neighbors back yard. They crashed a really nice solid fence and came down across their driveway and were partly hung up in the wires. Big trees. Further up the driveway limbs were down until I got to the top of their driveway. Then there was maybe 5 or 6 locust trees just snapped off. Really something. The burr oak was completely uprooted. Huge hole. Just cut in sections to drag up the hill with my truck tomorrow.

Oh man. You guys got it worse than us and the predictions were all saying we were gonna get hammered. Though the wind is still blazing. All day. I imagine I'm gonna wake up to a surprise tmrw morn.

Didnt get that bad here. heavy ran some strong winds did lose power for 11 hours. But no problem. Generator started on first pull

There doesn't seem to be much going on even though half the town lost power. We drove around a bit, but didn't see much but leaves on the road. :laugh:

In the morning we headed down to the beach just to see what we could see. Not much going on, some good waves but nothing enormous. It rained fairly steady but not too bad for the most part. We parked and were going to walk down to the beach to get a better look when the sky opened up, and we got soaked from head to toe in about 10 seconds. By the time we got back to the truck is was just a light rain again.

After a rather boring day we went down to Mulligan's to grab some suppah. My folks lost power yesterday around 5 and still don't have it back out in Dayton. And they probably won't get it back for a couple of days as it's rather low priority, probably 20 homes in the area without power as far as I know.

This storm is a leaf blower cleanup for us, no saws needed :msp_biggrin:

I just talked to Spike a few minutes ago, and there's power out at his shop.
Not a ton of tree damage, but a tons of people without power, and flooding everywhere.
He's taking pics and will be posting them when he gets power back.

On a side note, if this thing plays out as predicted, saw inventories from all companies will get somewhat depleted, and lot's of models will be on backorder. Going to take a while to refill the pipelines. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe I'll finally be able to get some 562's????????????????

Let's hope so! :msp_smile:

I just talked to Spike a few minutes ago, and there's power out at his shop.
Not a ton of tree damage, but a tons of people without power, and flooding everywhere.
He's taking pics and will be posting them when he gets power back.

I suspected he was out of power, as he hasn't answered the PM I sent him earlier today yet. Cool to know it isn't worse!

Went in to work today................... its a good thing grown men don't cry. My welder.....under water, my tool box........six draws under water. My two cars out back water up to there windows......totaled. I guess it could always be worse though, my wife and two daughters are fine and Im healthy.

Was out cruisin' the local area yesterday. Lots of trees, and wires along with them, down. Lots..... Saw more while out today. Power may well not be back on until this weekend.

National Grid, the power company in this area, says they have 3500 repair guys working. If I take the number of streets, and miles, I covered, as a statistical sampling, it's hard to say just how many lines are down. Some spots cordoned off, impassable, others.....not even any traffic cones or other warning/caution indicators yet. A bit like the old West..... wild 'n wooly. Gotta watch, or one could miss the wires angled across the road. I had to take her slow a few times, and watch clearance for the antennas on the rig.

One lady had several down, crisscrossed, etc. Said a microburst passed right through.... (May just get to cut 'em.....:)

Otherwise quite sound trees, just uprooted in the saturated soil.

Of course, many internally-compromised trees came down, not surprisingly.

Sure is kinda eerie driving around after dark, with almost no lights on, anywhere..... Won't be surprised if some miscreants take advantage of the lack of lighting, confusion, distractions, etc. Of course, here in MA, everyone is armed and ready.....:jester:

Actually, given the lack of especially-high winds I noted, I'm surprised there is as much down as there is. I gotta say.....it's hard to fathom just how many would come down in a REAL hurricane....

Better post this up, before the gas runs out on the generator.....:msp_unsure:

Latest posts

Back