Are you kidding me ??? Definately what NOT to do !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, we got that here too

I Think there's a lot of guys who want to turn this into a pro vs no pro fight, but it's not my point.

For me, there IS a safe way to cut this kind of tree, I had posted some pictures about that. And when you CAN make a good hinge and have a low stumb, there is no reason to do otherwise. Timber falling could be too dangerous to act like this guy.

I still have 3 trees hung up in tops at a 45° angle that I can't figure out how to get down
Don't know what you have going on, and at the risk of starting another debate, I have used this technique with success. It' scares the bejesus out of me, but I understand it to be the proper technique in the right situation.

I still have 3 trees hung up in tops at a 45° angle that I can't figure out how to get down

Just to lighten things up a little, here's one of my favorite "don't be this guy" videos.
The guy makes a lot of mistakes but at least he's not claiming to be a logger.
How many mistakes can you find? I see at least eight.

There is Your answer!
Take aim , stand bellow the hung up tree and straight cut the tree it caught up on.
If You survive and encounter no injuries scream out "that was awesome" and repeat it as often as luck allows! :lol:

I got goose bumps watching that clip! Proof that it is better to be lucky then smart?! :dizzy:

Don't know what you have going on, and at the risk of starting another debate, I have used this technique with success. It' scares the bejesus out of me, but I understand it to be the proper technique in the right situation.

That dude is several times saying "gives me a little escape time" - that tree came down so fast one can only see the snap in slo-mo.

I choose expensive tree trunks in my yard over dirt cheap "cut 'em down Yourself" wood anytime! :bowdown:
But , that's just me. :cheers:

i tried the more dangerous version of that( that is all im gonna say). it worked to get the tree 6ft closer to the ground but i decided i liked life better than a tree on the ground and gave up. Hoping wind would be my friend and bring them down. A year later and they are still standing so this spring they are coming down one way or another. I will give that a try. i would like to just pull them down but they are leaning down hill and its to steep to get anything above them to pull. Me and falling trees is not a good combination but i am trying to learn the right way to do it without killing myself in the process. We have 80 odd acres that needs thinned and some of it clear cut for pasture so i have plenty to practice on.

...How many mistakes can you find? I see at least eight.

1. No PPE
2. Didn't clear working area = lost his footing while cutting
3. Started with back cut on first leaner; should have used Coos Bay or other felling technique suitable for leaners. Guaranteed chair.
4. Standing where a more severe chair could have taken his head off.
5. Continuing the back cut on first tree, leading to second chair.
6. Started with back cut on second tree
7. Didn't do initial survey of the conditions (leaners & third tree hung up on second tree)
8. Didn't plan escape route and almost ended up getting crushed by third tree.

You guys left out a big one! He was stupid enough to post it on You Tube:clap::laughing::dumb2:
This a phenomenon I don't really understand - why do people want to post such stuff as a video on YouTube? I have only a few videos of the saws I have modified, and I don't even like that I cannot avoid showing up in the video myself. But posting videos doing something I've clearly never done before and obviously have no training in - why would you do this?

There is Your answer!
Take aim , stand bellow the hung up tree and straight cut the tree it caught up on.
If You survive and encounter no injuries scream out "that was awesome" and repeat it as often as luck allows! :lol:

I got goose bumps watching that clip! Proof that it is better to be lucky then smart?! :dizzy:

That dude is several times saying "gives me a little escape time" - that tree came down so fast one can only see the snap in slo-mo.

I choose expensive tree trunks in my yard over dirt cheap "cut 'em down Yourself" wood anytime! :bowdown:
But , that's just me. :cheers:
First you have to say hold my beer and watch this.

1. No PPE
2. Didn't clear working area = lost his footing while cutting
3. Started with back cut on first leaner; should have used Coos Bay or other felling technique suitable for leaners. Guaranteed chair.
4. Standing where a more severe chair could have taken his head off.
5. Continuing the back cut on first tree, leading to second chair.
6. Started with back cut on second tree
7. Didn't do initial survey of the conditions (leaners & third tree hung up on second tree)
8. Didn't plan escape route and almost ended up getting crushed by third tree.

Good eye. You caught the main mistakes, the more serious ones. It might be said that his initial mistake was buying a saw in the first place and thinkng that because he bought it he automatically knew how to use it.

You guys left out a big one! He was stupid enough to post it on You Tube:clap::laughing::dumb2:

This was my list:
1. Taking on unassisted a situation that wasn't just over his head but was way over his head. Evidenced by his lack of a face cut x 2.
2. Extreme lean of tree not considered or appreciated.
3. Intertwined trees not appreciated.
4. Repeated falling methods after first chair.
5. Standing behind tree while cutting (first chair - at least he didn't repeat this for his second and third chair).
5. Cutting with back to hazard x 3.
6. No safe retreat path.
7. Retreated 90* from cut instead of 45*.
8. Insufficient PPE.
9. Posted on YouTube.
10. Probably took trees in wrong sequence (can't tell from the clip).

Believe Gologit got the number 1 mistake which I missed.

Ron

This a phenomenon I don't really understand - why do people want to post such stuff as a video on YouTube? I have only a few videos of the saws I have modified, and I don't even like that I cannot avoid showing up in the video myself. But posting videos doing something I've clearly never done before and obviously have no training in - why would you do this?
Self image problems. They think they can prove that they are bad asses but I don't know why they think this. It just shows how incapable they are.

I missed the point of Mr. Murphy doing his cuts so high instead of down low. Was it to put himself in a better running position? Couldn't step back any further due to the bank? Confident there would be no push back and it was easier to demonstrate at that height? Trying to save another cut? The reason I ask is if the tree should come back it would be at head to chest height, whereas if he cut lower a push back should drive the stem into the ground.

Maybe he was trying to prevent this:
IMG_3658.JPG
One of my fence posts gone wrong.

Ron

That came down awfully fast and it scared the bejesus out of me when it happened.....and I was just watching....from my PC!!!!!
I missed the point of Mr. Murphy doing his cuts so high instead of down low. Was it to put himself in a better running position? Couldn't step back any further due to the bank? Confident there would be no push back and it was easier to demonstrate at that height? Trying to save another cut? The reason I ask is if the tree should come back it would be at head to chest height, whereas if he cut lower a push back should drive the stem into the ground.

Maybe he was trying to prevent this:
View attachment 408040
One of my fence posts gone wrong.

Ron
I think he was cutting that high to get enough drop to clear the top and get it to come down.

That came down awfully fast and it scared the bejesus out of me when it happened.....and I was just watching....from my PC!!!!!

I think he was cutting that high to get enough drop to clear the top and get it to come down.

In other words, cutting high to save another cut. If so, this boy will cut it twice just in case I misjudge the push back - my face is ugly enough without a tree smacking it. Ron

In other words, cutting high to save another cut. If so, this boy will cut it twice just in case I misjudge the push back - my face is ugly enough without a tree smacking it. Ron
Not to save another cut, but to allow enough drop to release the snag in the other tree. A small drop might not have released the snag.

Daniel Murphy is a seasoned and highly experienced tree expert. His videos and instructional information is top notch .............. google his name with "backleaners" after it, then heat up a bowl of popcorn and sit back to watch the show

Not to save another cut, but to allow enough drop to release the snag in the other tree. A small drop might not have released the snag.

Daniel Murphy is a seasoned and highly experienced tree expert. His videos and instructional information is top notch .............. google his name with "backleaners" after it, then heat up a bowl of popcorn and sit back to watch the show
Yeah, I liked that video and learned from it - that's a situation I encounter all the time here. I thought he was thorough and certainly clear on the cautions and danger.

Then why insert the caption "good thing its a clear cut" ??

Funny watching who is defending this guy and how they try just about anything to reason his "technique" .
I still want to know the difference between the hillside jump cut and the swing jump cut. I asked in post 46 and post 61. Maybe you can put your creativity to work for a few minutes and enlighten me ?

I placed the link for the post with both videos below for ya

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ely-what-not-to-do.274001/page-4#post-5232030

I don't see where I said that he did it on purpose. I said people do it on purpose. I don't recall standing up for anyone. Are you a logger or Arborist by chance?

Latest posts

Back