Are you loyal to one saw brand.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now i know what my username represents but in no means am i loyal to only stihl. I have used many brand saws over the years and all of them done the job. probably the best saw i ever owned was an old craftsman 3.7.I do have other brand names in the stable with the stihls and they get used. I will say i like the speed of the new saws over the old ones,but if thats all i had it would be fine. I know some of you guys are brand specific. So what makes ya like the brand you have over others. I don't have cad bad enough to go buy them,but would like to have a copy of each brand name. and please i don't want to start a war.:laugh:

I like Echo because It's what I was first exposed to growing up. The 500VL I still run to this day has always been reliable and a solid performer. My 600P was bought as my upgrade, and after a lot of research. I went through professional training using only Stihls, and never cared for the feel.. Just personal preference. I have run huskys on on many occasions, and felt the same way. Granted, the huskys and stihls I ran were on the upper end of their homeowner lines, so I can't give an honest, educated opinion on their pro offerings. But, dollar for dollar, those homeowner saws were priced very comparably to the echos. If I found a smoking deal on a husky or stihl would I pass it up? not a chance. It'd be in my stable in a heartbeat.

Of the four saws i own, three are Huskys and a lone Echo. All were purchased brand new from authorized dealers. With regular and proper maintenance they will surely outlast me and my remaining firewooding years, im 55. I dont need to buy another saw so it will appear im loyal to the Husky line, maybe i am, they have been flawless. Locating reasonably priced wear parts has been a breeze, OEM or AF, and i can do it from my computer chair. I will say ive looked at other Husky products, trimmers, blowers, mowers, etc. and have yet to make a purchase. My trimmer is a Craftsman, blower is a yard sale Craftsman, mowers are John Deere and Toro. My Craftsman trimmer by the way is a 1993 model bought new by me. My properties have been one and two acres home sites so it gets used. My trimmer and blower are rebadged Weedeaters i believe.

Now i know what my username represents but in no means am i loyal to only stihl. I have used many brand saws over the years and all of them done the job. probably the best saw i ever owned was an old craftsman 3.7.I do have other brand names in the stable with the stihls and they get used. I will say i like the speed of the new saws over the old ones,but if thats all i had it would be fine. I know some of you guys are brand specific. So what makes ya like the brand you have over others. I don't have cad bad enough to go buy them,but would like to have a copy of each brand name. and please i don't want to start a war.:laugh:

I can understand someone your age wanting to get stuff cut up as fast as possible.

I grew up with Pioneers. They're my favorite, but I got at least one of pretty much everything. Husky, Jred, bunch of Poulans, couple of Stihls, bunch of Partners, a Makita, several Homelites, at least one Mac.....I don't know what else. I like them all.

They all make good saws and they all make turds.

Generally there are certain things that interest me, and if the combination matches enough of them than the saw appeals.

1. I like to look at the design of saws, usually by looking at the IPL and parts on eBay. It has to appeal to the design engineer in me.

2. I like underdogs and can't stand to be taken in by marketeers. I like the combination of performance and value. It's easy to make something really nice if it costs enough, but that does not impress me. It's tougher to design something good with the constraint of a reasonable price.

3. I get bored with the run-of-the-mill stuff, especially (as in #2) the expensive typical stuff. So I give credit for high volume stuff everyone can afford if it works well, and for interesting less common designs that show someone was thinking.

4. Last, I'm no fanboy for any corporation. Organizations that work well are usually happy accident of having a group of people who work well together and have some good ideas. These things are always temporary, and in the end me buying a product from a company is not a long term commitment to promote them. I pay my money and they give me a saw, and that is the end of my obligation to them. If I want to buy another product I may decide they still have what I want, or not.

So given that I like some homeowner class Poulans, as I think they give good value and find their designs to be very well done. I like some of the later McCulloch designs for the same reason. And lately I have gotten into the RedMax designs, of which I now have two (although none actually made by RedMax).

Im a chainsaw freak. I love them all. If it has a bar and chain on it, im in. I am running out of storage space. Easy fix. Just add on to the shop!:rock:

I should say that I have between 30-40 saws that run and I wouldn't say I have any more than 12-1400 bucks tied up in them all. And one of them was 500$. Its a cheap hobby compared to most.

Im a chainsaw freak. I love them all. If it has a bar and chain on it, im in. I am running out of storage space. Easy fix. Just add on to the shop!:rock:

You somehow inserted the word "chainsaw" in this post by mistake. :)

I like my Dolmars mainly because of price/bang for the buck.

I grew up around Homelite saws but by the time I got into using/needing a saw the Homelites were not what they once were.

My first saw was a pawn shop 024 Stihl, the one in my sig. It has served me well and is the saw my dad, at 72 yrs old, runs. Equipped with a 13" bar and .325 chain it is light and pulls that chain with that short bar buried with ease. Perfect setup for him.

When I got into the tree biz I bought Dolmars after hours and hours of research. Much of it here on AS. Owning 5 of them I obviously like them although I have had my issues with the company itself.

My Jonsered top handle was thrown in when I bought out my old biz partner. It has been a pretty good saw although problematic with not wanting to idle down but I think we finally got that sorted out and looking forward to putting some more gas thru it.

I would like to try a Husky 562 next to my buddies Stihl 362 and an Echo 6000. I'm thinking hard about a 60cc saw for more of a firewood saw and I think its down to these three, although that may change if Dolmar gets on the ball with the 6100.

Also looking hard at the Echo 355T. Waiting for some more reviews and it kinda sounded like someone was going to mod one of them. :popcorn:

I prefer Jonsered and Husky and Dolmar. I have an mild dislike for Stihl. I don't think there dealer net work is a plus. John Deere mostly around here. They are higher priced than other brands and no better performance if not less.
In my not so humble opininon, in homeowner saws Dolmar Shindowa and others offer more for the money than Husky or Stihl.

I can understand someone your age wanting to get stuff cut up as fast as possible.

I grew up with Pioneers. They're my favorite, but I got at least one of pretty much everything. Husky, Jred, bunch of Poulans, couple of Stihls, bunch of Partners, a Makita, several Homelites, at least one Mac.....I don't know what else. I like them all.

They all make good saws and they all make turds.

you are pretty smart for being a midget bovine :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

i have owned about ever brand except for dolmar,, i still like the echos and some of the poulans,,, i have 2 huskies and 2 stihls and an earthquake,, i agree with dss,, all the brands have good ones and turds

I have several Husky's and Stihl's. I try everytime that I'm running one to pick one brand over the other. I just can't seem to find a reason that either is superior to the other.

I am and i'm not. I have stihls because i know more of them, and because used ones were easier to obtain. Also, i like the fact that a lot of parts interchange.

I wouldn't mind switching over to any other company, but if i went that way i'd prefer to switch at least my main 2 saws. And i hate the fact that you usually have to leave chain loops behind when changing brands, even if you go with the same bar lengths.

Last edited:
i like my jreds.my dads always had em and thats what i started on. have buddys that have stihls, huskys and dolmars, ran em all. i have to say i wasnt impressed with the 6400, but the 7900 was sweet. im getting used to the angled handles, but still like the feel of the straight jonsered ones. if i found any saw for a great deal it would be sitting next to the others

Latest posts

Back