Are you ready for the COLD weather coming?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

November Wolf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here in Michigan the cold temperatures are a coming. Early next week the day time highs will be in the single digits and night time lows -15f.

I usually dread the really cold temps but I am looking forward to this to see how my boiler is going to handle it. I am going to use 12 -14 inch maple and hopefully I can still get a 24 hr burn.

Do you guys usually turn up your water temperature when the weather gets colder?

Ready for the cold temps?

It has been -40 here foe two weeks. From what I understand we are just about to start sharing this woderful cold air with the rest of the country. :)

It has been -40 here foe two weeks. From what I understand we are just about to start sharing this woderful cold air with the rest of the country. :)

Gee, thanks. I hate when we get your left overs. Sure is some cold air already here this morning, I have -10 right now...bet it will be much worse next week.

Yes sir the cold blast is headed here too! It's a nice balmy zero here this morning :D

NW...I'm runnin at 195 right now. The higher temp is needed for the hotwater baseboard to make decent heat for mom's house. I have a forced hot air system in my house and the garage, and 170 would be fine for those.

It'll only take you a few minutes to put it up to 190 if you need to anyway! :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
I've never messed with the water temp on mine.I'm going to get picky tomorrow when I load the rolling woodshed,dont want any of that waterlogged frozen stuff.

The cold snap is due to arrive here in a few days, it might mean turning the propane heater on a couple times and I ain't to happy about that believe you me. :cry:

I'll probably have to light the pilot on my propane fireplace. The OWB just doesn't seem to keep up with a near continuous demand caused by very cold
temps without having to feed it far too much.

I'll use the FP to help bring the house temp back up to comfort level after the overnight setback.... Since I've only burned about 50 gallons of propane in the last eight weeks for cooking, DHW, and backup, I guess I can afford to splurge on a couple more.

Steve

I'd prefer to stick in the 20's like we've had. You can go ahead and keep it.:)

That's mighty generous of you to share your cold air with us. lol

Send it on down. I've got about 3/4 of a cord right by my back door. If I run out of that I'll go down to the barn and get some more.

Yeah I saw that forecast too. Highs around 10, and well below zero at night in my area.

The lower the temps, the more you appreciate the whole firewood thing, right?

I'll probably also let the furnace run a little bit. When it's that cold I think it's best to keep the system warm than having it shut off.

Yes sir the cold blast is headed here too! It's a nice balmy zero here this morning :D

NW...I'm runnin at 195 right now. The higher temp is needed for the hotwater baseboard to make decent heat for mom's house. I have a forced hot air system in my house and the garage, and 170 would be fine for those.

It'll only take you a few minutes to put it up to 190 if you need to anyway! :biggrinbounce2:

I'm running at 185 for now but I might move it up if I have to.

From what I understand with a hydronic system is the water to water heat exchanger will produce approx 20f less than the furnace water temp. So if the controllor on the OWB is set at 185 the inside boiler will maintain around 165. I have a 40 plate heat exchanger and see no difference between the OWB and inside which is a good thing because my house probably would not heat very good at 165.

What kind of Exchanger does your mom have?

we got somebody's cold air...

81 degrees yesterday at 5pm, and i wake up and it's 32 with a windchill of 20 :dizzy:

we can't ever get used to either extreme

I just took mine up to 175 and may go higher, I have noticed on these cold days it takes longer for the house to warm up. If I have to go higher I will. I would rather burn wood than burn propane. :clap:

Yup, -45 to -50 (or a little colder) the last 6 days and nothing warmer than -40 for 2 weeks. Sure am enjoying all of my hard work cutting, hauling, stacking wood last spring. Just keep the stove burning hot, and enjoy! :popcorn:

When it gets in the single digits I can figure on doubling my wood consumption compared to when its in the 20s. If it approaches 0 I usually kick the gas furnace on just to keep the crawlspace and plumbing a bit warmer.

I'm not ready for the weather today!!!! We are getting dumped on here in southern Mi. been down the long driveway 9x in the last 24 hrs. and my Harmon furnace is eating seasoned ash for breakfest just keeping the snow off my greenhouse!!! Yeah I know its always worse somewhere else like farther north of us my inlaws are in Baldwin they have some lake effect doozies up that way!! Everyone hang in there! irishcountry

Back