Arrrgggg - Can't decide between a MS 362 or 441 class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianrog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a MS-290 now that I use for my firewood saw. I've always been pleased with it until I used my cousin's 026 which had the same power but weighed a bunch less. I've also used is 044 at the beginning of this season on a 4ft red oak and was impressed with that as well. That being said, a MS 260 class saw is certainly in my future. I prefer to buy very clean used so I'll just be patient until one comes along.

So If I have a small saw with the same power as my current saw, I won't need it, but will need a bigger saw. I'm really torn between a MS 361 or MS-441.

I've used the above mentioned 044, but it was with a 25 or 28" bar and wa just huge. 90% of what I cut is ~32" or less. I do like the idea of being able to cut the larger sizes with a 20" bar, but dont' know if the extra weight of a 441 is justified by the extra power. I know I can use a 361 all day because it weighs the same thing as my 290.

What would you choose? There is a nice 361 locally, but I'm don't want to regret it later. What does everyone here think?

-Adrian

I think if you're going to get a 50cc and have the 290 I would go on up to a 70cc class.

I think your answer boils down to how much you use a saw and how big the average wood you cut normally is. To buy a saw just to handle extreme situations that just come up every once in a while doesn't make sense.
If your cutting ten cords or less of wood a year, and your average wood doesn't exceed 24" I would jump all over the 361, MM it and be happy, as it will do all you would need it to do, with a 20" bar you can handle 38" wood.

Now if you cutting a bunch of wood, in excess of ten cord, your average wood size is 25" and up then get the 441. We use our saws alot, you get a much different perspective using them almost every day if not everyday for 90 to 120 days cutting firewood to sell. You want as small as saw as will effectively get the job done, packing unneeded weight adds up at the end of the day, plus the smaller saws are usually more nimble and easy to handle. It's a heck of a lot different than the guy going out and cutting a cord every once in a while.
I have the 361 and a 044 and a 660, the 044 weight wise is much closer to the 361 and closer in cutting ability to the 361 than the 660.
If your not cutting big wood don't expect the 441 to cut any faster than a 361, it takes the bigger wood to take advantage of the saws extra power.
If the pocket book is of no concern, I guess it would always be easier to trade down, meaning that if you bought the 441 and decide it's too big, it won't cost you hardly anything to trade down in size in the future.

I had a 361 and now have a 441 both are great saws. If you are using them for firewood I don't think either will disappoint, but like Indian said it boils down to size of wood and how much.

Very good point. So... At what size wood would you say that you can take advantage of an 441 over a 361? Most of what I cut is 32" and smaller, mostly red/white/water oak, hickory. Ocassionally I get into larger, but I really hate messing with anything bigger than 36" because it's just so dang heavy.

-Adrian

Dude, you get the 361 and mod the muffler and you'll forget all about getting that 260 or 441. I use a 660 when I'm just dropping big BIG trees all day, but when I'm cutting firewood (which I do alot of), I use the 361 ONLY. I find it perfect for any firewood cutting I do. Dropping trees, limbing, bucking, it does it all and does it well. If you get really cocky, just send it off to be ported and it will smoke a 441 stock. And you'll still have less $$ in it. ;)

The 441 would shine in wood over 25" probably. But a 361 will cut 30" wood really well. Just mod the muffler and go cut your wood man,.

70cc is the one saw plan. Some say 60cc, but I still say 70cc. I think like Snelling in that effect. Sold my 60cc saws, just run bigger and smaller.

I see my old man over there trying to chisel away with the 357xp and I tell him to get his kid toys outta my way, lol.

Last edited:
Anthony,

At what point do you find yourself reaching for your 260?

Never! ;)
Seriously, I never hardly use it anymore. I only pull it out for brush removal these days. It's great for that. The weight difference in the two are hardly noticeable. The 361 is a feather compared to a 441. 441 is a great saw, but not needed for my firewood cutting needs. A muff modded 361 is more saw than alot give it credit for. I have never ran a ported one but the guys on here that have them are smoking 440s with them.

Of course, you can get a 441 and port it to run as good as a 660 or better, but do you need that at 14-15 pounds or more?

Last edited:
about a month i got a NOS 361 and with a MM mod it will scream. To me it will do everything that i need it to do

the wood has to get big before my 361 gets outcut by my 460.

I love 70cc saws but I hate the weight. My busted up half crippled back really notices the jump from 60-70+cc. I really save the 460 for noodling or for firewood bucking a bunch of felled trees all at once. Its not that much heavier or bulkier but it crosses a line for my mangled body

Latest posts

Back