Ash Beetle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, they're setting traps to monitor here in SW VA, even checked firewood at the spring race at bristol. i heard they got started from imported pallets that hadn't been treated. that's a ##### since the US has a pallet treating policy. sounds a lot like the chestnut blight that wiped out a valuable species, don't it. :cheers:

Well, it seems to have also come into Canada, where they have their own infestations. Out here in the west we have pine beetles, and there are now millions and millions of trees affected or dead.

Bugs are gonna get us!

#$%^&(*&^#$%^& I just checked the one link above. Looks like the uncommon blue ash I have nursed from a seedling, is in danger too. Since my daughter identified it 10 years ago, it has grown to 20' and about 3'' caliper. Another bit of her childhood headed for the trash.

I wonder if I should clear the property of ash now, the same way I did elm 20 years ago. What is next? I have some anthracnose problems too.

Well, it seems to have also come into Canada, where they have their own infestations. Out here in the west we have pine beetles, and there are now millions and millions of trees affected or dead.

Bugs are gonna get us!

Yeah, it's creepin south from what i've kept up with. bet they'll really like the milder temps. and the pine beetles hit us down here too. where'd they come from? i've studied some of the quarantine procedures, but are they workin?:cheers:

Saw on the news the other day that it's into western wisconsin and possibily
eastern Mn.

I think cutting live ash trees, especially those not infected, is a very bad idea. You cut all the ash and you insure its extinction. That's what happened with American chestnut. If you leave them until they are clearly gonners then there is a chance that by some genetic quirk you'll find some with resistence or immunity to the bug. It is a terrible blight but let's not add to it by killing the potential survivors.

I think cutting live ash trees, especially those not infected, is a very bad idea. You cut all the ash and you insure its extinction. That's what happened with American chestnut. If you leave them until they are clearly gonners then there is a chance that by some genetic quirk you'll find some with resistence or immunity to the bug. It is a terrible blight but let's not add to it by killing the potential survivors.

Good post, you got some Rep coming.

Leave the trees until they are infested. Some might have resistance, some might produce seed that is resistance, etc...

Im sorry but I have to diasgree with you on this one.

There is no resistance and no immunity that an Ash tree can have to this pest. It is a very efficient killer.

Young trees/saplings arent immune either, I've seen EAB kill down to 2" in daimeter.

In case you aren't familiar with an EAB, the larva live in the trees cabimum layer, squigling back and forth, disrupting the flow of nutrients as they feed.

THIS is what an Ash looks like under the bark when the EAB's have had their fill.

The log.

attachment.php

Inside the bark.

attachment.php

This is what 90% of the tree will look like, all the way from the ground to the top.

Ed

Thankfully, I have not yet had first hand experience with this bug. But I fear we are not going to be far behind you.

I'll stick to my opinion though. I know it causes severe mortality but maybe not 100%. If one tree survives then maybe that's the golden one. Maybe not. In any case I don't think it does any good whatsoever to cut down trees before they are well and truly dead. You cut them all down and you are guaranteeing an extinction and it will not stop the spread of the bug.

#$%^&(*&^#$%^& I just checked the one link above. Looks like the uncommon blue ash I have nursed from a seedling, is in danger too. Since my daughter identified it 10 years ago, it has grown to 20' and about 3'' caliper. Another bit of her childhood headed for the trash.

I wonder if I should clear the property of ash now, the same way I did elm 20 years ago. What is next? I have some anthracnose problems too.

Out here we have pine beetles that are devastating huge stands of pine forests, the size of western states. They are heading east. We also have SOD; or sudden oak death. Its in California and one county in southern Oregon. It has also turned up in nurseries in Florida though. It kills many types of trees, not just oaks. Its a fungus. Another fungus, Scleroderris canker and shoot blight of conifers is spreading from Michigan (imported from Europe in the 30's) to New York now. Apple trees in California are being affected by the Light Brown apple moth. Last year when I was there it was a growing problem. They are from Australia. Bamboo mites are spreading all over the PNW now. Does not kill bamboos, but it makes them look like crap. Gypsy moths are still a problem in the PNW. Someone though it was a good idea to bring silk worms here... we have a bunch of disease that affect PNW species, like Douglads fir (Swiss Needle Cast) and Port Orford Cedars (PO cedar root disease). You are not apt to have those trees growing there though.

:monkey: Sorry to disagree,but I am cutting anything 10" or bigger and getting them to the mill they are worth the most around here ( 800 prime )!!! When the bug gets in it the mill can't move it!!!! I am letting anything under 10" stand.

Thankfully, I have not yet had first hand experience with this bug. But I fear we are not going to be far behind you.

I'll stick to my opinion though. I know it causes severe mortality but maybe not 100%. If one tree survives then maybe that's the golden one. Maybe not. In any case I don't think it does any good whatsoever to cut down trees before they are well and truly dead. You cut them all down and you are guaranteeing an extinction and it will not stop the spread of the bug.
Don't worry you will see it soon enough and you know it !!!

We don't have it around here yet but it is in NW Indiana and moving south. They have started putting out traps in this area to detect it's arrival but nothing yet.

I've checked my Ash tree's here in CNY and haven't seen anything like that type of damage...there is another thing locals call "Ash decline" thats been killing them around here. I have a few in the wet area's of my place that appear to have died from that "Ash decline", what ever it is.

Also the local Ash market is completely flooded as everyone who can is cutting off their Ash.

I'm inclined to leave mine and if they start dying, cut those effected to firewood.

What do you guys think?

It ought to be pretty obvious that people who cut their Ash will have none left. Emerald Ash Borer or Human Ash Chopper? What's the difference?

I'm with the leave them til they get the bug crowd; unless there is a merchantable log I see no sense in a clear cut, which is what many areas in this region would amount to.

If you have a good quality specimen tree, then treating with imidicloprid is a good prophylactic.

There is no real market for the species here, since it is so common; but there is talk of people getting together to create one. One guy is the sawyer, other guys make drop-leaf tables and chairs, another does hardwood flooring...

There are a couple boutique floor companies in the state that fall, process and install all their wood.

Same here I'm only taking what is sell able, We have a mill that saws only ash they have a contract with a tool company for handles. Only cutting 10" diameter to 28" diameter, so I'm still letting trees!!!! But I won't let the money slip away either,trying for that happy medium. :monkey:

Latest posts

Back