Ash? Not Impressed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope, i ship the white birch out along with the yellow birch that i'm presently getting. sometimes i get black birch too...sure smells good in the spring when the sap's runnin' :hmm3grin2orange:

Must be nice to find some Yellow Birch and Black Birch, We don't get that around here to often and when we do everyone eats it up like crazy! Nice pecker poles your are cutting there :msp_tongue: Are you cutting those off your woodlot ?

Not sure what variety of ash your cutting, but here in central Michigan, EAB has killed every white ash in site, and I burn that above all other wood. Burns hot, good coal bed, splits easy, what more could you ask for in a heat source? Keep in mind, any tree on the edge of a woodlot or in a yard or fencerow will not split as well a one inside a woodlot like most of mine are due to windtwist and more limbs, but in my stove, white ash is number 1!!!!
:bowdown:

OK. That does it.

I wanted to hibernate for awhile but this takes the cake. Darn Sugar Maple. Darn Ash. You shoulda put that furnace you built upstairs. I think the subterranean Budweiser Bin is teetering on the brink of becoming a Whine Cellar.

Put some diapers on that chimp, boy. Daddy's Home.

First of all a good piece of Ash seems to be exactly what you need. The cycles come and go. You know the old adage about it rains five minutes before it's too late? That's euphemism for whatever species of wood is currently for the taking because of disease...cycles.

If the Sugar Maple and Ash is both as hard for you to split as Elm, look into the edge you welded on your maul when it split. Yes WCTV was in the cold bunker with the robots. I will stay in the background. But no more #####ing.

Heck boys, I ain't whining and complaining...
After-all, this is a "Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment" forum, ain't it? All I'm doing is reporting my observations, experiences and making comparisons of specific firewood, while using my equipment. If it comes across as whining to ya'... well, I guess it does then, but that ain't what I'm doing. Before I joined AS I never considered seeking-out and cutting ash (or hard maple) for heating fuel... sure, if a branch fell in the yard, or a limb became sacrificial during the felling of something else it would get thrown in the mix. But for over a year now I've read posts here declaring the virtues of ash (and hard maple)... I just ain't finding those to be so virtuous as claimed... and I'm reporting that fact. I believe in making the most of my time when making firewood... after making comparisons, I see no reason to work ash when I can be working standing-dead elm (and I see no reason to work hard maple when I can be working oak). All I'm doing is stating there does appear to be a reason why I was told by those who walked before me to cut oak and standing-dead elm... just walk past everything else if'n ya' can. And, I can, so why not?

If ya' wanna' see whining I can give that to ya'... if ya' really wanna' see it, that is... but this ain't it.

Must be nice to find some Yellow Birch and Black Birch, We don't get that around here to often and when we do everyone eats it up like crazy! Nice pecker poles your are cutting there :msp_tongue: Are you cutting those off your woodlot ?

nope, i aint got my own woodlot yet. i'm always on the hunt for loads of 100% red or white oak though!

augoak2008032.jpg

Heck boys, I ain't whining and complaining...
After-all, this is a "Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment" forum, ain't it? All I'm doing is reporting my observations, experiences and making comparisons of specific firewood, while using my equipment. If it comes across as whining to ya'... well, I guess it does then, but that ain't what I'm doing. Before I joined AS I never considered seeking-out and cutting ash (or hard maple) for heating fuel... sure, if a branch fell in the yard, or a limb became sacrificial during the felling of something else it would get thrown in the mix. But for over a year now I've read posts here declaring the virtues of ash (and hard maple)... I just ain't finding those to be so virtuous as claimed... and I'm reporting that fact. I believe in making the most of my time when making firewood... after making comparisons, I see no reason to work ash when I can be working standing-dead elm (and I see no reason to work hard maple when I can be working oak). All I'm doing is stating there does appear to be a reason why I was told by those who walked before me to cut oak and standing-dead elm... just walk past everything else if'n ya' can. And, I can, so why not?

If ya' wanna' see whining I can give that to ya'... if ya' really wanna' see it, that is... but this ain't it.

Your observations are fine... Personally, I NEVER would have let that Ash sit for 19 months... Like Hackberry, it can be great firewood, but it does NOT weather well...
In ANY form!!! I can make decent firewood out of any tree.. Just gotta figure out the species... You've been spoiled by oak and red elm...
:msp_tongue:

Like I said before. The ash I cut by my house is great stuff. Whatever variety of ash I cut at my grand father in laws is just adequate. The difference is as much as the difference between hard and soft maple. I will say though that I didn't let any of it season. Maybe if both were seasoned they would burn pretty much alike. I'm not sure..

The best thing about ash right now is that you don't have to look very far to find a dead one.

I'll add by saying that all the dead ash that I cut that had broken off half way up the tree, had past it's prime as a good piece of fire wood.

Last edited:
Damn.. Just when I thought he'd gone away for good.

Haha! We all thought the same thing.

This is the internet, not fairyland.

Hate to say it, sorta, but I had to give his post a Like. I enjoy most of Spidey's posts, but the whine factor does get pretty high.

Thanks Steve.

By the way if it wasn't for the Whitespider and his posts which I do like, I'd get involved less than I do now. He's good for a one liner here and there. And he's not an easy target like CT Yank or AIM.

Well Mister Spider, I did not think you were whining, just posting your experience is all. Some of us have had better experience's with ash than you, thats ok, opinions are like buttholes, we all got 'em, and if they could fly, this site would be an airport! Happy chips to you all!:rock:

ASH is Great firewood

I have about 10 cords of it plus.It split easy with my mech. log splitter!!!Awesome!!!
:eek:uttahere2::rock::blob2::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ash makes some of the best solid body electric guitars, something about the open grain makes it have bell like tone. Swamp Ash is sought after and Mountain Ash.

I had a Swamp Ash Hamer Diablo but gave it up to a buddy after I wiped out his rice rocket.

Mizuno switched to Maple to make ball bats when they found the cells in Ash would rupture in their proprietary microwave kiln curing process.

:blob2:BURN THE BEETLE:blob2:

Latest posts

Back