Ash Score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Friend calls me friday night, want some wood.... stupid question really.

So he drops of a trailer load of cut ash!, great score! Anyway I gets down to see it Sat afternoon, its even split, gettin better huh. Well split in a fashion, he used the saw, to split it, all of it, so now I have some nice square and rectangle peices, kinda like a Jenga puzzle!! Had to try and split some a bit further as his stove is bigger than mine. Man, could I find the grain!! what a ##### when you get the grain run wrong.

Anyway a few questions.

1. I know it will season to burn state quickly, but have enough for this year, so it will be stacked, covered or uncovered?

2. Because it is so uniform it will leave very little air space, would it be better to lay down a layer then stack some "normal" split wood to let air in and then repeat?

3. How long should the Ash last if stacked off the ground and under cover after seasoning? i.e will it be prone to quickly rotting?

Thanks

Steve

Will try to post some pics later. it does look wierd all uniform shaped!

Well that is a nice score...good for you.

Since you have wood for this year you have the right idea to save this wood for later. Just get it piled off the ground and cover the top.

As far as the wood being in 'blocks' as you describe the noodle cuts. Don't worry about it ...you can mix it in with other wood or tilt it one way or another when you load it in. The worse that can happen is it'll just burn slower and that's no show stopper.

well I don't expect it to burn slower as in 12 months it should be seasoned pretty good, just want the best result, and not to have the wood start to rot on me.

Oh yeah wood rot I just noticed you're in the UK. Wood kept uncovered so that it gets morning sun will do a lot to prevent mildew/rot. Otherwise you'll have to cover the top.

Back