ashley wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
anyone know anything about this brand?

all i've found is that they were bought out
by some company

there's an ashley stove for sale for $200
and i'm going to look at it tomorrow

anyone know anything about this brand?
all i've found is that they were bought out
by some company
there's an ashley stove for sale for $200
and i'm going to look at it tomorrow

It was one of the orginal "thermostatic damper" wood stoves way back in the 70's. Thin sheet metal that often burnt out, poor cast firebox that warped, and known as a creosote maker because of the early damping of the fire. It was the first wood stove we had. Very much an inefficient, pre-EPA wood stove. Ugly to boot.
For wood heat you'd be better off looking for a good quality EPA, post 1989, wood stove: cast or solid steel construction. Safer, more efficient to save you wood, and better looking. Even if you spend $1000. , a quality stove will last for a decade or more
JMNSHO

They came in a few models and names too. The design is actually still being made by Ashley and Wonderwood and others. The original was/is known as the wood circulator as they have a built in spot for an "optional" blower. I have one called a King Heater which is the same although it's firebox is plate steel with a cast iron door. The surrounding "ugliness is sheet metal housing that is supposed too be more child friendly (read: doesn't get so hot as too burn). The design is old and not very efficient but they do pump out some heat. The damper is a rectangular door (lower right) hooked too a dial with a spring coil that loosens as it heats up. On mine, I made a small metal "fork" that held that damper door open and then used a regular in pipe damper on the thimble pipe coming out the back of the stove. This helped it not be such a creosote machine. Other than replacing the firebrick lining and door seals in mine, it's still a working stove and up in the apartment I have over the barn. Haven't used it for a few years now but it's probably 30yrs old and still kicking. :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back