Asian Longhorn beetle stronger in MA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a one minute long video in that link just posted. It shows some pretty cool equipment like a big-wheeled forwarder and also an excavator-type machine with a hydraulic saw/grapple attachment.

There's a one minute long video in that link just posted. It shows some pretty cool equipment like a big-wheeled forwarder and also an excavator-type machine with a hydraulic saw/grapple attachment.

I think that was Northern trees.

New Yawk

I thought I saw lettering on a truck in one of those pictures that said "N.Y." I'm surprised the USDA had to bring in crews from out of state. Aren't there enough companies in MA to get the job done?

i was up there for a week at the begining.

i only saw one company from mass the whole time.

Well you werent looking too hard.
We have plenty of people but the govenrment couldnt cut fat with a lightsaber.

i agree with you there.

you Mass guys appeared about 3 days into it.glad you could make it.

I thought I saw lettering on a truck in one of those pictures that said "N.Y." I'm surprised the USDA had to bring in crews from out of state. Aren't there enough companies in MA to get the job done?

Most of the equipment in those pics was Northern, Mayer and Tree Tech

Last edited:
The prevailing wage for tree work is notoriously lacking when the risk and skills required are factored in.

That said, what makes you think they're paying even prevailing wage to subs?

The laws in the state of Massachusetts make me think they are being paid prevailing wage. Also the fact that many of my friends are working the contract as both primaries and subs, and the fact that a USDA 'supervisor' is with the crews at all times.....

And I believe the wage in this case is alost $50 an hr....:clap:

Not even close.

The PW for a bucket operator is only $17.35.

The PW for a 3 man crew, bucket, chip truck and chipper is laughable.

Last edited:
Not looking to argue here.

I was at the pre-bid meeting, there is only one prevailing wage rate for this contract, and it is classified as "removal rate" or something to that effect. The rate applies to EVERYBODY on EVERY crew. The guys working the contract are making big money...

Pick my jaw off the floor...

Looks like NetreeLady is probably right.

Here's a current Prevailing Wage schedule for Worcester:
http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/bids/pdf/CR-4869-W8-Prevailing-Wage-Rates.pdf; doesn't look like they've updated the tree trimmers since 2006 so it could be higher now.

It lists a "Tree Trimmer" @ $16.88 and "Tree Trimmer Groundman" @ $15.12.

Nothing else is less then $30; "Laborer" which includes civilian flaggers is $32.40.

Note for those not from Mass: You don't necessarily take home the whole prevailing wage, the employer is allowed to include some but not all benefits within that wage.

Also, there should be a prevailiing wage sheet like that in existence somewhere for the tree work, assuming USDA is under prevailing wage jurisdiction. The wages should be the same per job description, because I believe the only "variable" in their formula is what city you're in.

Last edited:
Pick my jaw off the floor...

Looks like NetreeLady is probably right.

Here's a current Prevailing Wage schedule for Worcester:
http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/bids/pdf/CR-4869-W8-Prevailing-Wage-Rates.pdf; doesn't look like they've updated the tree trimmers since 2006 so it could be higher now.

It lists a "Tree Trimmer" @ $16.88 and "Tree Trimmer Groundman" @ $15.12.

Nothing else is less then $30; "Laborer" which includes civilian flaggers is $32.40.

Note for those not from Mass: You don't necessarily take home the whole prevailing wage, the employer is allowed to include some but not all benefits within that wage.

Also, there should be a prevailiing wage sheet like that in existence somewhere for the tree work, assuming USDA is under prevailing wage jurisdiction. The wages should be the same per job description, because I believe the only "variable" in their formula is what city you're in.

Uh

I just did some " Tree trimming" for worcester housing authority.
25 an hr for groundies more for aerial then.

Trust me this contracts making some people very wealthy with guaranteed winter work.

Latest posts

Back