New stihl saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kafinlayson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was out cutting wood with a buddy today. My first saw was a stihl 250, 16"bar and chain, when we had to clear a place for the driveway at our new house a couple years ago I bought a farm boss with a 20" bar and chain. 75% of my firewood cutting is with 290 now and I really only use the 250 for limbing since it is lighter and small quick jobs for the wife. That is the background and use now for the 250. Today I had it sitting beside my truck while we cut up the big pieces first. My buddy hopped in my truck to move it and drove his down there.....running over the 250. :):) ooooops,

I took it to the dealer to see about repairing it....he stopped when he got to $250 in parts (it cracked the housing). When. i told him what I used it for he suggested replacing it with either a 170 or a 211. The 170 is $180 and the 211 is $309. To replace the 250 would be $400 or so........what saw would be good to get for limbing, small jobs and such? I hesitate to get the economy model (170) but really don't see the need to either fix the 250 for almost the cost of a new one or shell out $400 for a new one since I have a bigger saw that I use mostly. I will buy a stihl as that is the only dealership in town and want to buy a new one as opposed to used. I am leaning toward the 211 unless you guys convince me otherwise. I am basically a beginner so I have not used a lot of different saws. Any information is appreciated.

Thoughts on what to get? I have not used any except for the 250 and 290 so I don't have a point of comparison. another issue that I really can't do anything about is that I have 3 chains for my 250 and a good bar......neither of which will work on anything that I am looking at....oh well. sorry for such a long post....just wanted you to know what the use will be and what other saws. i have.

another thought......would the 250 16" bar, sprocket and my chains fit on my 290? if so, at least that would salvage them .

I will check the chains, I know they are .325. yea I was pretty down, but what do you do......I was totally out of wood two weeks ago and had to go out of town for Saturday, when I came home there was a cord of dead oak (dry) and white ash that this same guy had gone out and cut and put the trailer in my shed.

I know you prefer new, but I would look for a used good condition saw on here that your bar and chains will fit. I bought a new "big" firewood saw here a few weeks back. I got what was advertised for half the cost of a new saw and it has worked great! It was gone through by nmurph with some new parts and a new top end. Should last many years I hope. Shoot, for $300 you could buy one heck of a little limbing saw on here in great shape I imagine. Just saying you should really consider it. Sorry about your saw and good luck saw hunting.

P.S. - you could even post your broken saw on here as partial trade. One of the builders here might be able to use it for parts and give you $50 or $100 credit on a trade.

I might be open to that but would still want a stihl.....as I have a local dealer/service. where would be the best place to post something like that?

I might be open to that but would still want a stihl.....as I have a local dealer/service. where would be the best place to post something like that?
Try Craigslist. I got a 441c on Saturday for $750.

I just bought a 211--passed on the 250. I have a Wood Boss for felling/bucking and need a limbing saw that won't break my back all day. VERY happy with the 211--cuts as fast as my Husq 435--about a pound lighter.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 211--I paid $250 for it--perhaps that's what sold me. Either way these saws are throwaways--if I get 5 years out of it I'm happy. I know the 211 is not designed for everyday use--hard weekends only.

The Wood Boss is another story--for $400 I better get more than a few years service. Overall pretty happy.

I'm going to get out this week with the weather improving--let me get back to you on my thoughts on the 211. I've only ran about 3 tanks through it--

the 16" chain on my 250 is a 26 rmc 62
my 20" 290 uses 26 rmc 81
both are .325

could the bar/sprocket and chains on 250 work on the 290?

Sh
both are .325

Should fit i think. I would post it in the tradin post on here as a trade with additional money. Pictures always help. There are some respected builders on here that might be interested. You'll know within a couple days if there is any interest. Check out the used saws on there also and send some private messages to people if you see something you like. If your willing to put in a little time, it will probably pay off.

both are .325

No. The MS 250 bar and chain won't fit either your new saw or old saw.

The smallest rear handle saw I prefer to run is the MS 260 PRO with 16" guide. Any lighter, and I use a "T" saw or a pole saw.

I just bought a Dolmar 421 for $329 shipped to my door with a free case and so far i love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were happy with your 250. You will really like this one.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-026-pro-chainsaw.252506/
I'm with him, shell out and get a pro model saw if you liked the 250, i ran a 250 for a couple years then got a 260 pro... and ran it a couple years and now i'm onto a 261... The 260 was a MAJOR step up in power and feel... I think i gave 300 for mine and got 300 out of it a couple years later. So they hold their money. 250-300 is a great price.

If it's only cracked plastic you may be able to get it welded. I did the same thing to one of my saws and cracked it in several places. Guy welded it for around $50. Good as new.

Just my 2 cents worth. If you were to step up to a 026 or MS 260 Pro you really wouldn't have a limbing saw. You would probably leave the 290 at home most of the time. I used to have a MS 250 and traded it off for a
MS 362.

A 250 is a good little homeowner's saw but a step up to the 260 and you are in a new world.

Nosmo

Just my 2 cents worth. If you were to step up to a 026 or MS 260 Pro you really wouldn't have a limbing saw. You would probably leave the 290 at home most of the time. I used to have a MS 250 and traded it off for a
MS 362.

A 250 is a good little homeowner's saw but a step up to the 260 and you are in a new world.

Nosmo
A 260 pro limbs quit well, i use a 261 to limb with now and a 441 to buck

The 290 has two big drawbacks it's heavy for its power and it's vibration control is poor . The 250 is nice for what you describe as use ,but I'd be hesitant to pay 4 bills for one . I have a stihl ms180 that I did a muffler mod on that really works well for wood under 12" diameter . Most people shrug it off as being to small to be effective but in all Honesty with a sharp chain it cuts almost as as quick as my 290 . but weighs only 8 pounds I think it was 200$ new.great little high revving saw for general use and limbing. Light reliable and easy to operate . All stihls are high quality they might not be the fastest or lightest but they are popular for their excellent craftsmanship

Latest posts

Back