ASV RC30 green track

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8scott72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finally got my son to shoot a small clip of my RC30. I'll try to get one tomorrow of my spinning around on the grass and what the grass looks like after.

Last week I got some weights added to the rear. You can kind of see them in the video. It's about 350 lbs. Really helps with not only being able to pick up heavier load but when backing up a hill, it helps the rear break over the crest of a hill instead of just hanging its butt in the air until you push it down with the bucket.

(Why can't I do the embedded video anymore? I used to be able to.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB-pRoKsjl8

Also a picture of it in the dump trailer. Perfect fit.

2009-06-09010.jpg

2009-06-09009.jpg

2009-06-09011.jpg

There are days I wish I had one. But there are also days I'm glad I have my mini skid. Is the extra width and height of the machine worth the extra little bit of lifting capacity? Ever wish you just had a 30hp mini skid so you could go through 36" gates or sneak under tree canopies better?

Just asking because I can definitely see having a bigger tracked machine but, more times than not, I would need a mini skid over a bigger machine if I had to choose just one. I realize that the rc30 is not so much bigger than a mini skid but it is at least 6" wider and the cab looks to be a couple feet higher than the top of my mini skid. Often, I'm using my mini to sneak under low tree canopies to forward debris or to pull my genie lift into back yards where a full-sized machine with a cab on it would hit the tree canopies.

What made you finally decide on the rc30 vs say a 650 ditchwitch or a 532 boxer?

you will flip your machine one day hauling like that. Raise to pass through fence then lower load down. Loads in transport should be a few inches off the ground. if the machine tips and taps you're safe. If your machine tips with a load that high you will be face first with the ground and can blow a rod due to oil starve.
I fired a guy last year that flipped my RC50 driving it the way demonstrated in your vid. It took us two hours to winch the machine upright and lost about nearly all the oil out of motor. smoked like hell for a few hrs after too. be careful dude. Didnt you recive any training when you bought your machine from the dealer?

you will flip your machine one day hauling like that. Raise to pass through fence then lower load down. Loads in transport should be a few inches off the ground. if the machine tips and taps you're safe. If your machine tips with a load that high you will be face first with the ground and can blow a rod due to oil starve.
I fired a guy last year that flipped my RC50 driving it the way demonstrated in your vid. It took us two hours to winch the machine upright and lost about nearly all the oil out of motor. smoked like hell for a few hrs after too. be careful dude. Didnt you recive any training when you bought your machine from the dealer?

I'm well aware that it can flip. That was a very light load. I usually do bring it back down and ALWAYS bring it back down when picking up logs.

Didn't buy machine from dealer.

There are days I wish I had one. But there are also days I'm glad I have my mini skid. Is the extra width and height of the machine worth the extra little bit of lifting capacity? Ever wish you just had a 30hp mini skid so you could go through 36" gates or sneak under tree canopies better?

Just asking because I can definitely see having a bigger tracked machine but, more times than not, I would need a mini skid over a bigger machine if I had to choose just one. I realize that the rc30 is not so much bigger than a mini skid but it is at least 6" wider and the cab looks to be a couple feet higher than the top of my mini skid. Often, I'm using my mini to sneak under low tree canopies to forward debris or to pull my genie lift into back yards where a full-sized machine with a cab on it would hit the tree canopies.

What made you finally decide on the rc30 vs say a 650 ditchwitch or a 532 boxer?

I wasn't even considering a mini when I got this. I guess I just didn't know too much about them. I really wanted a bigger skid but decided on this one to start out. It's small enuf to get in and out of most places and strong enuf to move large amounts of wood in a short amount of time. It didn't cost as much as a full size skid and only weighs about 3,000 lbs so it's easier to haul around to the jobs.

My choice was between a RC30 and RC50. I think later I'll fill in those gaps with a RC50 (green track) and a mini and probably still keep the RC30.

Scott, could you tell me what brand tine grapple you have there and what it costs. I have to build one for our RC30 we just bought, any info and/or thoughts appreciated.

We have the regular black tracks and used it on the first tree job the other day with just the bucket. It was quick and nimble, but just the bucket doesn't cut it in this game.

Scott, could you tell me what brand tine grapple you have there and what it costs. I have to build one for our RC30 we just bought, any info and/or thoughts appreciated.

We have the regular black tracks and used it on the first tree job the other day with just the bucket. It was quick and nimble, but just the bucket doesn't cut it in this game.

I got it from my local Vermeer dealer for $2,500. I don't know what brand it is and doesn't have any markings. I was going to buy one from Ryan's Equipment and have it shipped but went with the local guy. I would probably buy from Ryan's next time. his looks a little better built and was about the same cost. I actually had to replace all the bolts and nuts on the grapple as the nylon inserts were no good. Even tho the grapple was new, it had been sitting out in the sun for quite a while. Oh well. All is good with it now.

http://www.ryansequip.com/448_pics.html

Wont let me embed it either?

Nice machines, I looked into them but the cost for capacity wasn't there. I even looked at the small ride in Bobcat and New Holland machine, but I could buy a full size machine for less?
I am very happy with my mini all in all!

counterweights?

How did you get those counterweights mounted on the rc-30?? I have one as well and would like to get some counterweights. Also, how are the green tracks and how much were they?

How did you get those counterweights mounted on the rc-30?? I have one as well and would like to get some counterweights. Also, how are the green tracks and how much were they?

I have the counterweights mounted on an extended ball shank. Like what you put in the trailer hitch on your truck but it is longer than a regular one by about 6" or so. It fits in the trailer hitch on the back of the skid steer. I had my welder weld a steel plate that weighs about 50 lbs straight to that shank. Then he put small angle on each corner pointing up so that I can slide 5 more plates on there.

The tracks were on the machine when I bought it but I did just price them. The local Vermeer shop which is the ASV dealer here wants 2 grand FOR EACH ONE! I found a place online that has ASV brand green tracks (not aftermarket) for $3,200 for the pair including shipping. I've got about 500 hours on the machine now and they still look good. There are a few tears in it and a couple of age cracks but I think they have a lot of life left.

You managing to keep that rc-30 busy these days? How many hours have you put on it yourself?

I've put almost 300 hours on it in one year and I've personally put all but maybe 10 of those on it myself. (Trying to let my 15 year old practice when time allows.)

Staying pretty busy. Got a couple of tree companies that use me to get stuff out of back yards or to move stuff over nice grass.

I did a small tree job yesterday and the day before that it rained probably over an inch and there was only one spot in the corner of the front yard where I had to turn to go around the house that had track marks on it. It does great on grass.

rc30

Just purchased the 2004 ASV rc30 off ebay for $7700. The machine has 1100 hours. I didn't even pay for it yet via paypal. I'm just a bit hesitant to do so. I have never used one of these before. I wanted to get feedback and opinions from owners first. That would be greatly useful and appreciated!

Back