at a stihl dealership...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
can you buy powerhead only?

i'm looking at a 650 or 660 in the next couple weeks
looking at used first
then brand new

I had a problem at a dealer on a saw purchase. I called Virginia Beach and they said it is policy that the saw is sold complete, filled with gas and oil, tested in front of the customer and everything explained to him/her.
They told me a dealer will get in trouble for selling a power head only (which is what I wanted)

Officially it's "complete" saws only, but reality for a pro customer speaks otherwise.. To a serious pro customer, I'll sell it complete and refund the bar and chain they don't want.. Still has to be run and checked out with a bar and chain though..

Yeah I called today at a different dealer about that same thing. $1011 out the door for a MS660 + 20" Bar/chain. He said he'd knock off $30 if I wanted just the powerhead. I laughed to myself. Currently watching this baby here though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...m=&item=190125096638&rd=1&rd=1:greenchainsaw:

Saw does look new........but it was made a least 10 years ago.
Stihl changed to poly fly wheel in 1997....... I think thats when
the starter cover changed also.......a little wider and the Stihl name
was cast into the starter cover and crank was changed too.

Last edited:
Saw does look new........but it was made a least 10 years ago.
Stihl changed to poly fly wheel in 1997....... I think thats when
the starter cover changed also.......a little wider and the Stihl name
was cast into the starter cover and crank was changed too.

The guy said he bought it sometime in 2002 new from the dealer. Dunno. If I got a serial # from the guy would one of you nice gents check it for me?:bowdown:

Officially it's "complete" saws only, but reality for a pro customer speaks otherwise.. To a serious pro customer, I'll sell it complete and refund the bar and chain they don't want.. Still has to be run and checked out with a bar and chain though..

I only rarely get asked to sell a powerhead only, but when I do it partially depends on the saw model. This may sound lame but on saws that came with 26RMC3 or 33RSC3 I won't do it 99% of the time because then I'm stuck with a chain that won't sell sitting on my shelf and for god knows how long.

We sell so much chain it doesn't even enter into our thinking... We don't even track or keep saws and chains togther..

Here is a suggestion!

March into the dealer and request the saw without bar/chain.
When he says it has to be tested.... :rock:

You simply march out to your truck and return with a bar and used (dull?) chain from your other saw. "here, test this..." :laugh: :laugh:

-Pat

We sell so much chain it doesn't even enter into our thinking... We don't even track or keep saws and chains togther..

While I'm sure it's less than you do cause trimmers are a higher percentage of our sales than saws, we sell a pretty decent amount of chain, but with the exception of the 180's and HT units with the 61PMN less than 1% of our chain sales are green chain. I think we sell about 1 33RSC372 chain for every 150-200 regular 33RSC72. Heck I still have about 25-30 of those RSC3's on the shelf that came with a case package deal last fall on our fall order.

Latest posts

Back