Atten: Lakeside; stihl oil question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husq2100

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey all, hey Andy

i just bought a stihl bg85 blower

it says in the manual to run stihl oil at 50:1 or any high quality 2 stoke oil at 25:1????

now the stihl dealer showed me there stihl oil and told me it was NOT synthetic, but castor based....

i was in hurry but didnt see any ultra or such, the bottle he showed me said down the bottom in small print, made by castrol australia

i dont have a problem running stihl oil but i have a full bottle of husky low smoke(which i was told by the husky dealer to be full synthetic???) and 2 bottles of maxima castor 927

i ran the 1/4 tank the stihl guy gave me and have put a tank of 32:1 maxima + 98 octane through it

the dealer told me he set it rich for brake in and to bring back in 1 month/3-4 tanks for a re tune

whats your advice on all this???

good blower by the way... lovin it

serg

The screen in the exhaust port gets clogged easily, and Stihl recommends
replacing rather than cleaning, and they are not cheap.
Running rich mix will speed up the process.
I would say you should just run it at 50:1, and keep the air filter clean, and
you will be fine.

it wasnt the dealer telling me to run more oil...

in the manual it says to run stihl oil at 50:1 or a high quality 2 stroke oil at 25:1

i already had the 32:1 mixed so used that

serg

Oh no, Gary's gonna flip....................

I personally run dino to for break in, switch to synthetics later, but that's JMO. Am not claiming to be some kind of oil-mix/break-in expert, but I have never fried a piston/cylinder in anything since that old dirt bike I had as a kid and I have 20 year old saws stihl running over 160lbs compression.

I would just run 50:1 utilizing certified air-cooled engine oil of your choice. Running a "tad" rich for break-in, problem is what is a "tad"? If a little rich no big deal, but if it's running snotty and smoking like crazy no good. Or break it in with regular mix. Just two schools of thought, break-in a little rich or break-in on regular mix, either can work if done properly I think. I have not noticed a real difference and now just break in with normal operation with the same mix I use in everything else.

My .02..................now ducking for the incoming from the PNW.

Last edited:
Run a MAJOR ope brand name oil at 50:1... Stihl or not. I run Stihl Ultra. You can use whatever modern synthetic you like. Heck, you can even run good quality dino, but I see no reason why you'd want to.

I make a lot of money from guys that listen to their grandfather (an some are grandfathers!)about running heavy mixes in the small blowers and weedeaters. Exhaust screens and carbon coated engines...

Stihl can't say "use any other oil" at 50:1 because they don't know what you will use, and they aren't going to endorse any other.

Stihl tels us to use Ultra from Day 1. Yes, you can use it during break in. I do.

Cleaning screens: hold it a vice by the tip, heat with propane until red hot (few seconds), touch it with a blast of compressed air, and it's like new. I do a few a week...

Last edited:
Stihl Ultra is now avalable in the UK. 100ml bottles are £3.00...that's 6 bucks :jawdrop:

no way should you be swiching to 25:1 after running 50:1 you end up with less fuel in the mix and leaning your saw out.
adding a little extra oil "just to be safe" is anything but safe, unless your going to be reseting your carb

cheers guys i was mostly wondering why they would say to run other oils at 25-1

lake answered this well

does anyone know if husky low smoke is synthetic???? why cant these companies put more info on the bottle??? it just says 50-1 low smoke mix nothing else!!!!

cheers, serg

The Husqvarna Low-Smoke is a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic oil. According to the last dealer meeting, it's about a gross 40% synthetic by volume.

Stihl does not make a castor-based oil that I'm aware of. The standard oil is a good quality ash-based petroleum distillate blended oil.

Every manufacturer puts the "run with other brands of oil at 25:1" disclaimer in the manual as a CYA thing.

ok i just rang 2 stihl dealers, only 1 oil available, its made by castrol and is a synthetic/petrollium blend

i rang a husky dealer, he said the low smoke is full synthetic made by husky.. in europe they run it at 100-1 thats how good it is

now with conflicting statements from AS and my dealers, this is why i ask so many stupid little questions, i just keep digging....

so would i be better getting a full synthetic like motul or fushes??

serg

100:1? I think your dealer has been dipping into the high octane cough medicine. I've never used the Husqvarna low-smoke, I only know what our distributor tells us. Perhaps your dealers there are getting a different formulation. I know emissions regs are different in Oz as per the parts that are available for particular saws.

Fuchs makes a variety of good-quality oils. Their Silkolene brand is one of my favorites.

Latest posts

Back