Best chainsaw brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m looking for a chainsaw. I currently own à Stihl ms170. It’s great for limbing, brushing, on the 4 wheeler etc. Not so great for cutting hardwood logs (on weekends, I’m not a pro need about 5 face cords per year)

I went to a dealer and he recommends the Stihl ms 261 (855$ cds). He also sells husqavarna and doesn’t recommend them at all. He showed me the shop where they currently have about 20 saws to fix and 19 of them were huskies and only 1 Stihl.

Thoughts? Comments?
The best chainsaw brand undoubtedly is Stihl especially if you reside in the States. Husqvarna is the 2nd best if you want to go with a hardcore farm and ranch saw for your needs. I would also recommend you to check out some new brands such as Neo-Tec as they are providing good value for the money to the homeowners

The best chainsaw brand undoubtedly is Stihl especially if you reside in the States. Husqvarna is the 2nd best if you want to go with a hardcore farm and ranch saw for your needs. I would also recommend you to check out some new brands such as Neo-Tec as they are providing good value for the money to the homeowners
Glad to see you are from Illinois, sad to see you are from Chi-town...............I feel for you

Never owned a Husky, and other than Stihls, I've only owned Sears Craftsman and Poulan saws (and one Dolmar tree saw), but my Stihls have been pretty much rock-solid reliable, including a 660 that's made from about 1/2 OEM and 1/2 Chinese/Taiwanese/Italian parts. My main saw that does about 95% of the work is a Stihl 361 that I got about 15 years ago new...I also have a Farmertec kit to build an entire new 361 (with a few OEM parts substituted) ... but I haven't gotten around to building that yet.

I think the main thing to watch with any saw is that it's getting enough fuel and does not "lean out" and burn up. Many of them seem to be tuned at the factory right at the edge of "too lean" ... and if they go any leaner, it can lead to trouble. Also, use good non-ethanol fresh fuel (most folks here seem to mix at 40-to-1) and don't leave fuel in them for more than a month or so, or you might get problems with the fuel going bad and possibly gumming up the carb. (Some here say they use gasohol with no problem, but I don't risk it with any of my small engines.) And don't lend them out. That's a sure way to run into trouble.

Good luck in whatever you pick.

The only two there that are close to over 50 years old are the A65 and 180 and those were sold for years. For gosh sakes the 288 is still a current production saw!
The 288 hasn't been sold in North America for at least 10 and maybe 20 years.
The 2100 was introduced 44 years ago.
Not any of that matters. There are plenty of oil Huskys out there although obviously during the 70's and 80's is when they came on strong.

I’m a hardcore farmer and rancher so I often run my Husqy 395xp. If i ever get into some real work I’ll have to step up to the Stihl 661, but not sure if i could use it to capacity.

The 288 hasn't been sold in North America for at least 10 and maybe 20 years.
The 2100 was introduced 44 years ago.
Not any of that matters. There are plenty of oil Huskys out there although obviously during the 70's and 80's is when they came on strong.
Those are all modern saws to me. An old Husky is a 90 or 100. The 2100/2101 was sold alongside the 3120. In about 2003 we bought a shop that had been the Husky dealer. I kept teh dealer books and was amazed at how long certain models were in their lineup.

As for a new 288 that are most certainly available online.

Those are all modern saws to me. An old Husky is a 90 or 100. The 2100/2101 was sold alongside the 3120. In about 2003 we bought a shop that had been the Husky dealer. I kept teh dealer books and was amazed at how long certain models were in their lineup.

As for a new 288 that are most certainly available online.
Most people would not call something over 50 years old modern
The stihl 070 is still available online. Made and sold in the third world, just like the 288.
I also don't believe the 2100 was still made in 2003. NOS maybe.

Most people would call something over 50 years old modern
The stihl 070 is still available online. Made and sold in the third world, just like the 288.
I also don't believe the 2100 was still made in 2003. NOS maybe.
I did not say the 2100 was made in 2003. I said we bought the shop in 2003 and I was amazed by looking through the books how long the 2100 was sold. As for the 070 it very much is available today and other than some subtle differences the same as a Contra from 1959. That tells a person something about their rugged design.

I did not say the 2100 was made in 2003. I said we bought the shop in 2003 and I was amazed by looking through the books how long the 2100 was sold. As for the 070 it very much is available today and other than some subtle differences the same as a Contra from 1959. That tells a person something about their rugged design.
According to Mike Acres site the 2100 was sold for less than 12 years.
In regards to the 070. It probaly is reliable, but I wouldn't own one of those antique boat anchors. I would own a new 288xp.

Latest posts

Back