Best chainsaw brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Bill G, it’s called K C Nielsen
I looked them up. They are a typical John Deere conglomerate dealership with 11 locations in Iowa. I am in Illinois looking across to the great state of Iowa. Our Deere dealers over there are Sinclair. They have 16 locations but three of them are NAPA stores. There is P and K around here also with 10 locations.

Please note that Husky has joined the Electric or bust gang as such it is questionable whether they will maintain construction of gas saws or abandon them like Makita.
If by that you mean in 2019 they discontinued several gas powered consumer grade products then I guess you're right

Please note that Husky has joined the Electric or bust gang as such it is questionable whether they will maintain construction of gas saws or abandon them like Makita.
Makita was never a major player. In the past Dolmar was a significant competitor but the dealer network was not as widespread as the big two.

I’m looking for a chainsaw. I currently own à Stihl ms170. It’s great for limbing, brushing, on the 4 wheeler etc. Not so great for cutting hardwood logs (on weekends, I’m not a pro need about 5 face cords per year)

I went to a dealer and he recommends the Stihl ms 261 (855$ cds). He also sells husqavarna and doesn’t recommend them at all. He showed me the shop where they currently have about 20 saws to fix and 19 of them were huskies and only 1 Stihl.

Thoughts? Comments?
261 C-M is my personal ride-or-die. Even better with WCS dogs.

20230915_174019 (3).jpg

Up until they startled being sold in box stores, in this area no one had heard of Husqvarna chain saws.
Husky has always had areas of the country with limited exposure. The upper midwest and New aengland have always had more Husky exposure than Stihl going back to the 60's.
Growing up in Mid MI Husky was around, but Stihl was more popular. When I moved to the UP Husky was way more popular. When I moved to MT Stihl rules the roost for the most part.

Try find an old Husky in the USA..........the few that are here came over from Europe

For the electric husqvarna battery chainsaws this year (2023) it takes 1 month to get parts involved in chain oiling and two months for chassis parts damaged in falls. The mark 3 version of the gasoline 540 models was designed in Japan which might relate to what I quoted above. I vaguely remember a thread somewhere on the internet about a fuel injected (in the crankcase) patent by husky. I think they have emissions data in the us EPA for it in chop saw and chain saw product codes. The poster was from Europe which was bizarre as to how they find this stuff.

If it was a gasoline pole saw it would have landed engine first and have quite likely been "totaled".

Back