attitudes.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
during the past two weeks, i saw several tree service companies taking down trees. so, i asked about the wood and if they were keeping it or not.

every one that i asked were rude and copped an attitude and brushed me off like i was bothering them. the last guy i asked seemed to be pissed off that i even asked and told me he was keeping the wood.

hey...i just asked. if they keep the wood or not it isn't a big deal, but with attitudes like that, i don't feel guilty when i drop a tree for someone and they don't get the job. it doesn't take much to be friendly, in fact, it takes less mental energy than to have an attitude.

i probably won't ask any more nor will i care if i take a job away. attitudes can go both ways. i do wood for personal use, not to sell nor do i give it away.

bet they get that question alot, and when they tell you the price, i bet alot people who ask cop a attitude, like they should get the wood for free.

it doesn't take much to be friendly, in fact, it takes less mental energy than to have an attitude.

Everyone has an attitude these days. EVERYONE.

In fact, everyone always HAS had an attitude.

Some attitudes are good, some are bad. Some are friendly, some are unfriendly. Some are cheerful, some are grumpy.

"Attitude" doesn't mean a hostile outlook on life. Using it that way is helping the leftists dumb down the language.

Don't be part of the problem.

Use to cut on logging jobs and found the best time to ask for wood (cull logs) was late spring through the hottest part of summer. Plenty of wood then 'cause no ones wants the stuff till cold weather.

Maybe tree service companys are the same?

Some attitudes are good, some are bad. Some are friendly, some are unfriendly. Some are cheerful, some are grumpy.

"Attitude" doesn't mean a hostile outlook on life. Using it that way is helping the leftists dumb down the language.

See. Right there is an example of one of those atitudie thingies your talking about.:mad:

I'm guessing that they probably are being asked about wood constantly with the way that things are going, and like someone else said they probably "expect" them to "give" the wood away for free. Some of these people that are asking for the wood probably are new to wood heat, don't know how to deal with people, and probably would take that green wood, split it up and try to use it green and then say "wood heating isn't what its cracked up to be". A lot of rude and/or uneducated people out there which hurts guys like you and me, unfortunately. Next time say something like "I know this is probably the millionth time that someone is asking, but any chance you're giving some of this wood away"? That way they see that you know the situation. Just my thoughts... :greenchainsaw:

i'd offer something in return had they given me the wood.

some guys from the county were taking down two large maples last year. they gave me the wood, i gave them a couple of bottles of merlot each.

An attitude???? Me??? Think again there buddy boy!!!!

Sometimes I get snapped at, and other times...I want to do the snapping.

I do believe that people show less respect to others because of their enviroment that they were raised in, or because of the media. The media has a big influence and it is allowed by inattentive/absent parents.

A sad state were are raising our kids in now.

If I snapped like that in front of my 90yr old dad....I would get an ass chewing.

Even more sad is the fact that we are to tolerate those that don't tolerate us.

If I were you, I'd go right along and keep asking.

Sometimes with touchy things like this it's good to start out by saying something to diffuse the attitude you've been running into. Stuff like, "hey, I don't mean to interupt you guys while your working", or "You probably get tired of people asking you this". Some times it breaks the ice a bit.

don't get too frustrated some people are just jerks. I give wood away alot. Especially if the person who wants it will move it and take it away. Call around. The smaller services might be more friendly or the bigger ones might have less interest in wood (ie waste to them)..... good luck!! Mike

You've got too treat it like a sales job. Rejection is part of the deal and you accept it and move on. I can understand the WTF but keep smiling and say thanks, and try again somewhere else. :cheers:

Not wood but...

This year I was handing out candy @ my aunt & uncles house which is in a nice middle-class neighborhood. Near the end of the evening, as trick-or-treaters dwindled, three boys probably early teens came up. I gave them each some candy, then they had the gall to say "give us the rest of your candy." When I said no way they tried "C'mon, nobody else is coming around." They tried similar faulty logic, but I couldn't hear what they were saying due to the steam that had started coming out of my ears. A quick 'hit the road' motion with my thumb and they left-lucky I hadn't had anything to drink and was able to hold my tongue.

If I ever find out my son acts like this...!

Something else you might not think of is, but they are responsible for you on their customers property. If you get hurt it's on their ticket. Some people just don't want the liability. Last year I was Supervisor on a house jobsite, home owner had given a local scrap guy permission to strip anything out of the old house before we demoed it. I got to the site and took one look at the guy and called the homeowner to explain that the guy had to leave the property. He was 450 lbs sitting on the tailgate of a beatup old truck wheezing badly and yelling to his wife how to strip the copper from the walls. I was worried the guy was going to have a heart attack on my jobsite. There was no way I was going to be liable for him especially when he told me he was recovering from a quad bypass surgery.

Latest posts

Back