Australian Chainsaw Racing Finals.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah shucks, thanks Neil, hahaha

and yes I am the current Allround Title holder at the moment, will see if it still mine come May. And I am not as young as first put up in this thread, I turn 45 the day before the National Titles start here in Aus, but I still try to act like a kid at times :laugh:. I am Yank, been living here since '95 and I am from Deerfield, New Hampshire, and got here after a 10 yr layover in Montana. Ever since I was a little bloke I have been interested in racing saws but waited till 06 for my first race and started modifying saws a year later. The time I have been racing here has been a hoot, the first time I raced in the post rip I told everyone they could stick that race up their proverbial, I was totally knackered after that race, was last by a mile, but came back to it the next race and spent some more time out bush cutting posts for the FIL, and now I can at least make a final in the post rip once in a while. My pet events are the speeds, and really enjoy getting the pipe saws out for a race.

Cheers
Will

Thanks mate for the rep, and thankyou to you all who have watched these vids and liked what we do in our raceing areans. i can post numerouse vids on all the different events we do if you guys want to see them.
You're welcome. Guys have been sendin' me some rep for making this post so, thank you guys. Please do post vids on all the different events.

JOHNY UTAR,,,
thanks mate for being honest, what we do is not for everyone, however to do correctly does take many years of practice and for your bennifit i will put up some other events we do and would like your comment on those as well.

Man, you guys are just straight up alright.

edit.... spot on lumberjac au,
For those who do not know lumberjac au, he won't tell you, but he is our currant australian all round champion for 2011 and will be contesting his position next month in our next Australian national titles event being held in QLD.

I knew the dude was bad. Like I said, I come across Will on the Web. He was droppin' some trees in New Hampshire and I hollered at my wife (you guys will get a kick out of this; her name is Sheila) and I go, "Check out this Dude, he's goin' to town." Then I saw the post ripping-- I mean without a guide and stuff. And those posts looked perfect you couldn't buy none better. So I sent Will a message or e-mail or something askin' and he sends me back and told me about it. This is the best way to get a education, guys. I'm 41 YO and this kind of communication was unheard of when I was a kid. Anyhow good luck, Will. Wish we could come watch. Please post the results or anything else you got on cutting wood down under on this thread.

hahaha, i will tell charlie that, maybe he will get a swelled head and slow down a bit, seriously tho he is in the peak of his career and a bloody nice fellow as well.

You're all nice guys. Makes me want to go get some great big cold cans of Foster's.:msp_sneaky:

I didn't say what they do isn't skilled I just said it's boring as hell to watch. I don't expect you to understand the technical information I gave you, some people just can't grasp the concepts.:bang:

well saying something is "tech" just because you said so, or someone else "said so" is BS...along with the line that Stihl tollerences are so tight it changes the way to run in a combustion engine. Put up or shut up.

Back to the posts: From what I have seen out west from where I am, 40 years would be a good run! The ground conditions and weather play a huge roll....along with the beast that are contained within. Cypress, which is known to be very termite resistant in domestic construction, due to natural chemicals, doesnt last much in the ground, rot and termites win. They even use Gidgy on my mates property, but time always wins. The other determining factor on the larger properties is what is actually growing there and is suitable for posts.

most fencing I have seen is the good old star picket with say 3 plain and 2 barbed. Easy to put in the ground with a counter balanced jack hammer hanging off the side of a ute (pick-up) strainer sections done in gal rhs or shs.

when I went to watch the CS races at Crows Nest, and I saw the post rip, I said the same thing as Will....and that was from the sidelines :hmm3grin2orange:

saws over here are only getting faster now and there is even one on its way over from the Good ol USA built by Dennis Cahoon. That will put a cat amongst the pidgeons

well saying something is "tech" just because you said so, or someone else "said so" is BS...along with the line that Stihl tollerences are so tight it changes the way to run in a combustion engine. Put up or shut up.

Back to the posts: From what I have seen out west from where I am, 40 years would be a good run! The ground conditions and weather play a huge roll....along with the beast that are contained within. Cypress, which is known to be very termite resistant in domestic construction, due to natural chemicals, doesnt last much in the ground, rot and termites win. They even use Gidgy on my mates property, but time always wins. The other determining factor on the larger properties is what is actually growing there and is suitable for posts.

most fencing I have seen is the good old star picket with say 3 plain and 2 barbed. Easy to put in the ground with a counter balanced jack hammer hanging off the side of a ute (pick-up) strainer sections done in gal rhs or shs.

when I went to watch the CS races at Crows Nest, and I saw the post rip, I said the same thing as Will....and that was from the sidelines :hmm3grin2orange:

saws over here are only getting faster now and there is even one on its way over from the Good ol USA built by Dennis Cahoon. That will put a cat amongst the pidgeons

They are always goin' on about Green Building here. If you can make your materials on site that is as green as it gets. Then cut up the inside for firewood.

Note to Self: Dennis Cahoon. Builds good saws, USA. Need to find him.

So what level of work is done to these post ripping saws?

these saws are useing original manufactured internal parts but are modified internaly for the extra performance, the trick in this event is lift performance far as possable but remembering the saw needs run hard for up to 2 minutes without failing.

3 extremely important factors in successful fast post cutting.

1st....operator ability in the task at hand and reading the billet falts ect and, applying a game plan to cut the required number of posts fastest while staying inside the rules.

2nd... the chain, often the most forgotton part in raceing, it must be right for the species being cut.

3rd... saw performance

get all 3 right and you have a decent chance of winning.
I should also mention, personal fitness and stamina also helps in this sport.

They are always goin' on about Green Building here. If you can make your materials on site that is as green as it gets. Then cut up the inside for firewood.

Note to Self: Dennis Cahoon. Builds good saws, USA. Need to find him.

DC shouldnt be to hard to find, he is on this site. He builds some of the fastest saws in the STS series/world. These saws are based mostly on motor cycle engines. I think a saw/saws of his hold some world records???

these saws are useing original manufactured internal parts but are modified internaly for the extra performance, the trick in this event is lift performance far as possable but remembering the saw needs run hard for up to 2 minutes without failing.

3 extremely important factors in successful fast post cutting.

1st....operator ability in the task at hand and reading the billet falts ect and, applying a game plan to cut the required number of posts fastest while staying inside the rules.

2nd... the chain, often the most forgotton part in raceing, it must be right for the species being cut.

3rd... saw performance

get all 3 right and you have a decent chance of winning.
I should also mention, personal fitness and stamina also helps in this sport.

Is the chain based of a semi chisel, for longevity?

I'm sure those post's will keep all the sheep and kangaroo close for some "good" lovin Mates!........Bahahahahaha!

I'm sure those post's will keep all the sheep and kangaroo close for some "good" lovin Mates!........Bahahahahaha!

Naa, the roo's jump clean over, but at least the sheep and poddy calves can't escape. :p

What critters do you have running around the bush there DC ?
I imagine the deer run too fast and a knot hole would be a bit splintery ? :D

Here is another one of LumberjackAu's vids. There is sumthin' you should find interesting in this vid besides saws. Go subscribe to Will's youtube channel, 'aussieracesaw" I'm rootin' for you guys to get more stuff posted on youtube and on this thread.
[video=youtube;NK-Ss4GFwNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK-Ss4GFwNY&feature=plcp&context=C4085d6cVDvjVQa1PpcFPJ1vnvsoRIEaQZ4MuDqeJ5ODBtTXw9WFc%3D[/video]

Thanks woodcutter, I am going to be racing the next 5 weekends so should have some video to post of when I get the time between races, Australian Titles will be in the middle of it all.

Second what Neil said about the saws chain and reading the wood. Reading the wood is a large part of the post rip event, have seen guys win open events with bad looking billets and others come dead last with what should have been a winning billet. There is no better feeling than to hear that certain "ping" when you sink a wedge in and it flies out the other end of the billet :D

Will

Al, the ones I've seen are square filed .325.

Very interesting , .325/short bar on a big cube saw . Look at those friggin chips pour out of that xp. It's simply amazing !! Are they running 10 pin sprockets or what ?
Good stuff my Aussie friends :rock:

a different event in aussie raceing..... disc stacking
timber,11inch blue gum, time, 1 minute 30 seconds.
[video=youtube_share;32n6UZam4oA]http://youtu.be/32n6UZam4oA[/video]

the object here is to cut as many discs as possable in the given time without touching the discs on top, any disc that falls off is not counted. This is a precision event testing competitor skills and is popular with both competitors and spectators alike

a different event in aussie raceing..... disc stacking
timber,11inch blue gum, time, 1 minute 30 seconds. the object here is to cut as many discs as possable in the given time without touching the discs on top, any disc that falls off is not counted. This is a precision event testing competitor skills and is popular with both competitors and spectators alike

That's wicked, Neil. I was thinking about your comment that fitness and stamina play a role in this sport besides keeping the saws tuned. I bet guys like Charlie and Will know how to enjoy what they're doin' and stay relaxed. You would get a massive knot in your back and forearms and it would slow ya down if a guy got tense. You've got to breathe deep, too to stay relaxed and that would be harder to do with you nose buried in a big wound up high performance Husky.

Will mentioned modifying his own saws. Do you still do that l-j au?

This stacking event is far out. I wonder what else you guys got up your sleeves.

Still do all my own mods, always tinkering around with a saw or 3, then there is the hours of filing chains. The work never stops if you want to compete.

With the rip portion of the race you need to be able to maintain pressure and concentration all the way through, even when your forearms are on fire, then you have to explode through the wedging and barring, takes a while to condition yourself to it, but fun all the same

Latest posts

Back