Auto-tunes in the shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hustihler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
eny6a6ap.jpg
My new(less than 3 months old) Husqvarna 562xp and 550xp had to go in the shop last week. Both are having the warm/hot start issues a few others have had. I had my first "big" firewood job(32" Oak), a couple of weeks ago and both saws had trouble with restarts once warmed up. Both the 562 and 550 started flawlessly cold, but after cutting for a while it took on average 5 to 7 pulls to restart the 562 and the 550 wouldn't start at all at times unless you let it sit for at least 30 minutes. The dealer called several days ago and both saws are getting new coils and carbs this week, they even ordered the diagnostic tool, in lieu of the issues I was having with my saws. I have a fantastic dealer and they really stand behind the products they sell. I'm still a fan of Husky saws and both the 562 and 550 are excellent saws and I don't regret buying them one bit. They are the strongest running stock saws for their size that I have ever had my hands on and are exceptionally smooth. I just figured to be fair for how much I praise these saws to at least have the courtesy to post when I have issues. All work is being covered under warranty and I knew buying these saws that anytime you have new technology you're going to have a few bugs. I hope this post helps others if they have these same issues, and I truly believe that my saws are the exception, instead of the norm. I will keep you guys posted once I get them back to see if the updated carbs and coils fix my issues.

Nice saws :msp_thumbup: glad to hear your perspective-

my 562 and 550 have had no issues starting, but it seems to happen with some

550 is slow to 'wake up', but I will give it time before I throw it under the bus :laugh:

How are you restarting them warm? The warmstart procedure is still the same as its been for years, yet many forget about it.

Find yourself another dealer, one that already has the diagnostic tool, and has a little bit more skill than a parts changer, coil is not an issue, and if your dealer had the diagnostic tool he could update the software in the carb if needed.

/warm re-start 550/562, engage choke, disengage, de-comp should you so desire and pull.............plain and simple.

How are you restarting them warm? The warmstart procedure is still the same as its been for years, yet many forget about it.

Find yourself another dealer, one that already has the diagnostic tool, and has a little bit more skill than a parts changer, coil is not an issue, and if your dealer had the diagnostic tool he could update the software in the carb if needed.

/warm re-start 550/562, engage choke, disengage, de-comp should you so desire and pull.............plain and simple.

Thanks for the advice, but I was restarting both saws correctly per the dealer and instruction manual(pull out and up on red button and then push back down to set high idle, push in decomp and pull).
As far as my dealer is concerned, they've been good to me and I live in a really rural area that's slow to embrace technology and is dominated by Stihl. I applaud my dealers efforts in ordering the diagnostic tool to assist in diagnosing my saws, I'm sure it's not a cheap device and they've only sold a handful of autotune saws(less than 10 or so). To answer your question about replacing the coil too, they are doing the coil replacement per Husqvarna service bulletins. Thanks again for your reply and advice.

Last edited:
I wonder if the new coil will be a revision? If not, seems odd both saws would exhibit the same problem.

Let your dealer know that the service bulletin B12000XX wont do a thing for him or you, diagnose the problem, dont just change parts, there is no SB concerning straight up coil or carburator replacement on either models. Ask your dealer to see there vac and pressure gauge.

Some had the diagnostic tool months before they had a saw they could hook it up to, hell in my town we have dial up and limited cell phone coverage, but geesh saws are sold.

I had the same problem with my 562 but it seemed to remidy it self after some use. A few times I caught my self flodding it by not pushing the switch all the down. That wouud cause it to be 1/2 choked and the first pill it would close choke and flood. So in all part of my problems were operator era. Now the bar oil is milky :mad2: so it will be going to shop fro center gasket. Guess ill have to brush the dust on 346.

eny6a6ap.jpg
My new(less than 3 months old) Husqvarna 562xp and 550xp had to go in the shop last week. Both are having the warm/hot start issues a few others have had. I had my first "big" firewood job(32" Oak), a couple of weeks ago and both saws had trouble with restarts once warmed up. Both the 562 and 550 started flawlessly cold, but after cutting for a while it took on average 5 to 7 pulls to restart the 562 and the 550 wouldn't start at all at times unless you let it sit for at least 30 minutes. The dealer called several days ago and both saws are getting new coils and carbs this week, they even ordered the diagnostic tool, in lieu of the issues I was having with my saws. I have a fantastic dealer and they really stand behind the products they sell. I'm still a fan of Husky saws and both the 562 and 550 are excellent saws and I don't regret buying them one bit. They are the strongest running stock saws for their size that I have ever had my hands on and are exceptionally smooth. I just figured to be fair for how much I praise these saws to at least have the courtesy to post when I have issues. All work is being covered under warranty and I knew buying these saws that anytime you have new technology you're going to have a few bugs. I hope this post helps others if they have these same issues, and I truly believe that my saws are the exception, instead of the norm. I will keep you guys posted once I get them back to see if the updated carbs and coils fix my issues.
just wondering how much trouble you have had out of your ms261?

Let your dealer know that the service bulletin B12000XX wont do a thing for him or you, diagnose the problem, dont just change parts, there is no SB concerning straight up coil or carburator replacement on either models. Ask your dealer to see there vac and pressure gauge.

Some had the diagnostic tool months before they had a saw they could hook it up to, hell in my town we have dial up and limited cell phone coverage, but geesh saws are sold.

You sound like a very knowledgeable guy and I appreciate all you info and insight. You appear to know alot about these saws and Husqvarnas in general. At this point all I can do is trust my dealer and I hope when I get my saws back they will be fixed properly whether it's a carb, coil, or some other issue. I'm not a saw mechanic by any means so I don't know what the exact issue is, all I know is that it's being repaired under warranty at no cost to me, I'll just give my dealer the benefit of the doubt for the time being. I agree that my dealer may be "late to the table" as far as just now getting the diagnostic tool, but at least they're trying. I have had to search long and hard in my area to find a decent husky dealer, of the 5 dealers within 75 miles of me, hardly any even carry pro saws, most have no idea about autotune. My dealer is the only one who has the diagnostic tool in my area. Just one of the downfalls to living in Stihl country, you are truly lucky to have an up to date husky dealer, but because of geographic reasons not all are that lucky.

Just a guess.... but I am guessing none! The price paid for the latest and greatest technology. There will always be a "trial" period on this stuff, whether we like it or not. I am in the midst of selling my MS260 PRO, which has never let me down- to buy a 550XP. Not crazy about selling the 260, but I dont use 50cc saws enough to have two, and I am just to curious about the 550XP to not grab one.

I currently own a Stihl 261, and a Husky 346xpNE; both have been great and dead reliable, but if I could only own one 50cc saw it would be the 550xp IMHO.

Last edited:
I currently own a Stihl 261, and a Husky 346xpNE; both have been great and dead reliable, but if I could only own one 50cc saw it would be the 550xp IMHO.

That is good to hear. Are you running .325 or 3/8? Does it feel that much stronger than the 261, and have you done any muffler work to it? Just pickin' your brain...

That is good to hear. Are you running .325 or 3/8? Does it feel that much stronger than the 261, and have you done any muffler work to it? Just pickin' your brain...

I'm running mine with .325 chain on an 18" bar. I only have about 5 tanks thru it so far and it's only been used in hardwoods(oak to be specific) and its been impressive so far. The best way I can describe it is; it has the throttle response of a 346, torque of the 261 and lighter than both. Mine is bone stock by the way, so are my 261 and 346.

I appreciate the feedback, I am looking forward to getting it in. I am going to order it in the AM!

Sorry to hear of the issues. I love the 550XP i just got. It has so much power yet the delivery is smooth. Seems like after the first 3 tanks it gets even better. I have not experienced any starting issues, just when it was brand new it had a little trouble idling (probably due to tight bearings etc). I really wanted the MS261 however the 550XP is lighter and more powerful. I would argue that it feels better in the hands too, it is a very agile little saw. I had all 18" .325 full chisel 21 LP 72 link buried in a 4' white oak chunk and it just covered the ground with curly shavings...begging for more. Log was so big we had to take the top half off just to haul it out. In fact it is hard to bog this thing down unless you are cutting some really hard and wet wood. Welcome to the club, I know you will love this saw. Rock on!

Latest posts

Back