Auto-tunes in the shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wanted the MS261 however the 550XP is lighter and more powerful. I would argue that it feels better in the hands too, it is a very agile little saw. I had all 18" .325 full chisel 21 LP 72 link buried in a 4' white oak chunk and it just covered the ground with curly shavings...begging for more. Log was so big we had to take the top half off just to haul it out. In fact it is hard to bog this thing down unless you are cutting some really hard and wet wood. Welcome to the club, I know you will love this saw. Rock on!

Thanks for the support. I agree with you the 550 is a fantastic saw and it is hard to bog down, that autotune does a great job of keeping the revs up. The MS 261 is still a great saw as well and if Stihl ever decides to m-tron it things would get real interesting. Although I do believe the 550 would still have it beat in the handling dept., what a nimble saw. I'm also glad to hear that your 550 is trouble free and I hope it stays that way.

There's a we bit of mis-information here.

First, I've yet to hear of any hot start issues with the 550. Every one I've seen, sold, or heard about has been fine. So, your's is truly unique here.

The hot start deal has been an issue with some 555/562's. Some have it, some don't. Some report that it goes away after a while, some it doesn't. The only time I've seen it on a 555 was on my own friggin saw. Lucky me!

The problem IS the coil from what I'm told. But the new, updated coil isn't out yet as far as I'm aware. (Although I am told that it is coming very shortly.) There is some confusion due to a recent service bulletin on coils. That bulletin concerns essentially the same coil, but with an extra service port that makes it easier to hook up the diagnostic tool. But this coil is not the real solution to the hot start deal.

Your dealer does sound first class, and he's not hesitating to make things right for you. Very few dealers are all that up to speed on this 2nd generation auto-tune stuff yet. I was surprised at yesterday's dealer meeting at a couple of the better dealers who don't even have the tool yet.

There's a we bit of mis-information here.

First, I've yet to hear of any hot start issues with the 550. Every one I've seen, sold, or heard about has been fine. So, your's is truly unique here.

The hot start deal has been an issue with some 555/562's. Some have it, some don't. Some report that it goes away after a while, some it doesn't. The only time I've seen it on a 555 was on my own friggin saw. Lucky me!

The problem IS the coil from what I'm told. But the new, updated coil isn't out yet as far as I'm aware. (Although I am told that it is coming very shortly.) There is some confusion due to a recent service bulletin on coils. That bulletin concerns essentially the same coil, but with an extra service port that makes it easier to hook up the diagnostic tool. But this coil is not the real solution to the hot start deal.

Your dealer does sound first class, and he's not hesitating to make things right for you. Very few dealers are all that up to speed on this 2nd generation auto-tune stuff yet. I was surprised at yesterday's dealer meeting at a couple of the better dealers who don't even have the tool yet.

Spike, I'm glad you chimed in, I know you're well respected around here for all things Husqvarna. When I dropped off my saws last week they told me they were heading to their first autotune class and ordering the diagnostic tool, so I have a lot of respect for the effort they're putting forth, it's a Mom n' Pop store and the husband actually owns a local logging company they sell both Stihl and Husky, but run Husky almost exclusively "in the woods". They're real "old school" and the old guys in the shop don't mind if you just come in to talk shop. It's taken a couple of the older mechanics awhile to warm up to autotune, but as they say " those saws right there are some cutting tricks; they'll put some wood on the ground and in the stove."

it's a Mom n' Pop store and the husband actually owns a local logging company they sell both Stihl and Husky, but run Husky almost exclusively "in the woods".

Now if THAT isn't a glowing endorsement for big orange, I don't know what is! My local dealer said to me when I was BS'ing about my 550XP, "That is a saw that doesn't wear any tassels". :msp_glare:

I had the same problem with my 562 but it seemed to remidy it self after some use. A few times I caught my self flodding it by not pushing the switch all the down. That wouud cause it to be 1/2 choked and the first pill it would close choke and flood. So in all part of my problems were operator era. Now the bar oil is milky :mad2: so it will be going to shop fro center gasket. Guess ill have to brush the dust on 346.

There are a service bulletin on that gasket, and the case bolts.

Hey guys, just wanted to update this thread. I'm the OP and I got a call from my dealer yesterday and today. I don't have a lot of details yet, but they apparently fixed my 550xp and Husqvarna is sending me a brand spanking new updated 562xp that should be in sometime next week. I'm glad Husqvarna and my dealer are standing behind their products, even though I had to play the waiting game. I'm headed to the dealer in the morning to get more details and I'll update the thread as I find out more.

Hot start issue is the coil, they haven't come out with the new one yet but they are adjusting the air gap to adjust the timing. There is a cold start issue on 550's that has nothing to do with the hot start issue.

Hey guys, just wanted to update this thread. I'm the OP and I got a call from my dealer yesterday and today. I don't have a lot of details yet, but they apparently fixed my 550xp and Husqvarna is sending me a brand spanking new updated 562xp that should be in sometime next week. I'm glad Husqvarna and my dealer are standing behind their products, even though I had to play the waiting game. I'm headed to the dealer in the morning to get more details and I'll update the thread as I find out more.

What date was your 562 made?

Hot start issue is the coil, they haven't come out with the new one yet but they are adjusting the air gap to adjust the timing. There is a cold start issue on 550's that has nothing to do with the hot start issue.

What can you tell me about this 550xp cold starting issue? That is the only issue I have had with mine? Is there any recommendations here? It's hasn't been that bad, only that a quick blip it wants to stall, after letting it warm up for a minute or so, it is good to go, seems a bit rich as I see a bit of smoke on start.. really would love to have the diag tool so I could see what it has to show think I will ask my dealer if he got one yet.

Last edited:
Mine was a 2011 model and according to the serial# it fell within the service bulletins posted on this site.

Thanks, My 550 has been perfect and I'm thinking about a 562. Probably won't see any new 2011 stock.(I hope)

What can you tell me about this 550xp cold starting issue? That is the only issue I have had with mine? Is there any recommendations here? It's hasn't been that bad, only that a quick blip it wants to stall, after letting it warm up for a minute or so, it is good to go, seems a bit rich as I see a bit of smoke on start.. really would love to have the diag tool so I could see what it has to show think I will ask my dealer if he got one yet.

honestly they haven't fixed it yet, my saw has it and I simply sort of half choke it for now. I will post when I know more. Nothing shows up on the diagnostic tool so it wouldn't help you, the public is allowed to buy the diag. tool you just can't access the software and updates as that is on Husqvarna's dealer website.

Just to read between the lines a little.......your dealer doesn't have the case splitting tool etc....either.

Just to read between the lines a little.......your dealer doesn't have the case splitting tool etc....either.

I don't know if they have it or not. I'm a firewood cutter, not a mechanic or a dealer. It's taken my dealer a while to get these issues resolved, but they(my dealer and Husqvarna) are standing behind their products and doing right by me, so far.

Hustihler,
How many days have your saws been in the shop?
Quite awhile, since the end of August, but I've spken to my dealer every week getting updates on their progress. I was also lucky that i got alot of my firewood cut, split , and stacked this summer before i put them in the shop, I'm also fortunate enough to own a Stihl 261 and a husky 346xp to get me through. I was informed that they were waiting on parts and finally he persuaded them to issue me a brand new saw. I'll find out more tomorrow morning, and I'll keep you guys posted.

I made it to the dealer yesterday morning, but no further updates. The head tech., whom I normally deal with was not in(they only open for 1/2 day on Saturdays). I will hopefully find out more next week, when I pick-up my new 562xp. I'll update this thread as I find out more and of course there will be pics of my new saw!

I would have ask for another saw; that's just to long to have it in a shop for the money spent on the saw

Back