Automated chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last week I was in the saw crib at a tree company. The tech had a nice setup there. He had a machine for sharpening chain that was WAY COOL!! I didn't have my camera long for a pic though.

The machine could be setup to take any number of strokes to sharpen the chain depending on how hacked it is. the drive links were set on a dial. Once the setup was done, the chain is installed and the grinder takes the number of strokes, advances and turns the grinder head. On and on to the end. The wheel was diamond tipped so it stayed dressed.

The tech said that it cost $3,500 but he could do many chains while doing other work.

Does anyone know of a link to one of these machines? I'd like to drool a little.

Tom

I came across that machine once when searching for chain grinders. I saw that paper I printed out on it recently but don't if I threw it out. Anyway the were selling it around 40% off. I guess it wasn't sellin to well. Mike

I ran across their website once, and I think it was mentioned in a post here sometime within the past couple of years too.  Quick searches on the web and here just now didn't return any bell-ringing items.  It seems to me it, or the company, had a name like crocodile, or maybe some kind of animal one might find in the southern swamps.  $3500 sounds cheap, though, if it's the same thing.

Glen

Here is the description from Bailey's:

Dinasaw T-Rex Automatic Chain Sharpener
Item No: 65620

$2,749.00
Buy Now!

Fully automated version of the Handi-Rex. This sharpener uses a microprocessor to control 3 operating modes. Inductive tooth scanning aligns grind to tooth sequence, so you can sharpen different style cutter sequences. Variable feed speed from 5 to 45 teeth per minute. Cam operated clamping system holds cutters in place for great accuracy. Adjusts for almost all chain styles. Once you have the sharpener properly adjusted, you can sharpen chains at an amazing rate of speed. Great for mechanical harvester operators who grind many chains per day. Comes with wall mounting bracket (optional tripod stand available). We recommend using the newly designed CBN wheels for popular chains. Weighs 49 lbs. Comes complete with 2 resin bonded wheels and instructions. Electrical requirements 110V, 14amps or 12V. Made in Australia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dinasaw T-Rex Automatic Chain Sharpener

Price: $2,749.00

I'd sure like to have one for all my chains, they need a good grinding. I just cant afford to get one now and dont see one in the immediate future either. Maybe in about 2-5 years I will get one for the fun of it.

German chain grinder

I'd sure like to have one for all my chains, they need a good grinding. I just cant afford to get one now and dont see one in the immediate future either. Maybe in about 2-5 years I will get one for the fun of it.

I think it could also be a Franzen, they show one working on the net, it looks like it would cost about 10 grand!

I think it could also be a Franzen, they show one working on the net, it looks like it would cost about 10 grand!

There is a Tractor shop near me in Monroe Wa. that has one that I think was at least ten grand. They sell stihl saws also.

That machine looks more like a CNC machine cause once you set it you shut the glass door and round and round it goes.

They claim it does a real nice job.

My research about a year ago on the Dinasaw grinders suggests they are fickle at best and overpriced pieces of crap at worst (this coming from owners of such machines), but their grinding discs/wheels are good.

Franzen grinder

There is a Tractor shop near me in Monroe Wa. that has one that I think was at least ten grand. They sell stihl saws also.

That machine looks more like a CNC machine cause once you set it you shut the glass door and round and round it goes.

They claim it does a real nice job.

You would have to sharpen a hell of alot of chains to afford that!

80646d1224884130-expo-001-jpg
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/chainsaw/80646d1224884130-expo-001-jpg

Here is Mr. Franzen...

The little shop I frequent has a franzen. 5 bucks @ for a sharpening. The best part of that machine is, when the wheels are worn out, they fit mine;) very nice wheels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back