AutoTune and altitude

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph W Santora

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If I do the 3min idle and bar tip log cut at the cabin (10k feet), can I then go down to 1k and cut without calibrating?

Joe

If I do the 3min idle and bar tip log cut at the cabin (10k feet), can I then go down to 1k and cut without calibrating?

Joe
It will remember the conditions when you shut it down. At new elevation with Stihl starting on choke and leaving it on choke for up to 90 seconds will get you going with new parameters. Blip it and start cutting.

Edit... I'm on vacation and should have said... I cold start my Stihl on choke and leave it there until warm enough to start cutting. Then blip off choke and start cutting. I can hear the rpm changing during this time to adjust to the new parameters.

I have noticed if you start cutting too soon the saw may shutdown and be hard to restart.

The Autotune and Mtronic will adjust very rapidly, no need to do re set procedures to cut at different altitudes or temperatures. It will run and sound a bit funky for a couple seconds but will start adjusting to new environment immediately. Start em up and cut wood!
Correct. The first gen auto tune stuff might want that. Irrelevant for the gen2 and later. I can’t speak directly to the stihl mtronic, but it’s hard to imagine they’ve made no tweaks in over a decade.

You can but your saw won't run right... & until it recalibrates it will be running lean!
I should have been a bit clearer...
As others have stated it should adjust relatively quickly. As long as you're considerate in the way you use it for the first few cuts it will adjust & won't be an issue. This is part of the point of having autotune

I’ve cut with my new 592XP at 5,500 feet and 9,000 feet. The altitude tuning calibration happened so quickly that I almost missed it. This AutoTune 3.0 doesn’t need consecutive 3 minutes in the cut to tune. That’s my experience anyway…

JQ

Back