Back with another 064/066 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of now there is no piston and for they want for a used one on the bay I think I will get one from a site sponsor....

I think Northwood will have the Meteor. Sal and company have good prices and a fair shipping rate, plus I always get my parts fast. I like that. :msp_thumbsup:

I think Northwood will have the Meteor. Sal and company have good prices and a fair shipping rate, plus I always get my parts fast. I like that. :msp_thumbsup:

My cart has $106 worth of stuff in it right now :hmm3grin2orange:

I got a mint used OEM 066 top end on my last one...

If it is your first you will love it....

I did one with a 066 topend before. I love 064's. All I lack at this point for mine is a tank/handle.

Are you going to go with HD filter setup or stay with the original?

I would run a new piston in that jug.....It looks pretty good in the important spots! :)

With Stihls, I always put the bearing on the PTO side in the case first....That's the right way to do it (In my mind), as you want the correct protrusion from the case, on the bearing, to index with the machined counterbore of the oil pump....BUT, the flywheel side I put the bearing on the crank and heat the case to assemble.

Like Randy said...As long as everything's where it's supposed to be in the end, It's all good. :)

I'm going to use that big bore kit on a 066 I have, and go with a OEM top end on my 064.

I just finished a 064 for BBB and that saw was really stout. The jug I used on it was different than others I have here, the transfer ports are huge in this one. I see why the 064 is such a beloved saw. :laugh:

O and I have seen more then a few tanks go on the bay for around$50 lately.. That's what I gave for mine...

I would run a new piston in that jug.....It looks pretty good in the important spots! :)

With Stihls, I always put the bearing on the PTO side in the case first....That's the right way to do it (In my mind), as you want the correct protrusion from the case, on the bearing, to index with the machined counterbore of the oil pump....BUT, the flywheel side I put the bearing on the crank and heat the case to assemble.

Like Randy said...As long as everything's where it's supposed to be in the end, It's all good. :)

I use the oil pump to index the PTO bearing when installing for easy reference. How do you guys index? I know there are different ways, just curious.

That's exactly right. I install the oil pump on the PTO side and slip that bearing in place first, (on the crank though) let it cool a minute then slip the flywheel side on.

If a guy has a way that works, I think he should stick to doing it that way, lest he mess everything up. :laugh:

I did one with a 066 topend before. I love 064's. All I lack at this point for mine is a tank/handle.

Are you going to go with HD filter setup or stay with the original?

I have a tank, not beautiful, but very useable.

I use the oil pump to index the PTO bearing when installing for easy reference. How do you guys index? I know there are different ways, just curious.

Yep, I use the pump......I heat the PTO case half drop the bearing in against the pump housing, I already have the flywheel side bearing on the crank, and let the heat from the case transfer to the bearing for a minute and then drop the crank into the PTO side bearing.......That's just what I find easiest.

Yep, I use the pump......I heat the PTO case half drop the bearing in against the pump housing, I already have the flywheel side bearing on the crank, and let the heat from the case transfer to the bearing for a minute and then drop the crank into the PTO side bearing.......That's just what I find easiest.

I have never tried installing the bearing on the flywheel side of the crank and installing that way. I have always installed both bearings in the case and use the Stihl tools to pull case halves together.

Might give your way a try on my 064. Im always open to better ways to do things!

I have never tried installing the bearing on the flywheel side of the crank and installing that way. I have always installed both bearings in the case and use the Stihl tools to pull case halves together.

Might give your way a try on my 064. Im always open to better ways to do things!

I have the Stihl tool for pulling the cases together and never use them.....The cases need to be pretty warm, but they virtually fall together at that magic temp.....Like I said, I don't know if it's a "better" way, but it works slick for me.

I don't know about everyone else, but I leave the two dowel pins sticking out about 1/8" to keep the gasket in place while I'm sliding everything together.

+1

Do you use any gasket maker like yammabond??

As a gasket dressing, you mean??.......I actually use Permatex Aviation Form-a-gasket as a gasket dressing, but only if there's any little nicks in the gasket surface that worry me .....I've assembled lots of cases with a new dry gasket too, with no issues. I've used that same product as a cylinder sealant going gasketless too.

Back