Backup/loaner saw which one.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a backup/ loaner saw. Loaner to those only I know can handle a saw and I know who they are. Backup for me too.

Looking at the 391/362. Older 038 magnum.

Not interested in a 290. I had one. Too slow.

60/70cc range ideally.

Strato/older no problem.

Only used as backup/ loaner. Once and a blue moon for fun for me too.

I like husky and Stihl

Any and all recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

Ps. Prefer not to spend a ton.

I'm looking to get a backup/ loaner saw. Loaner to those only I know can handle a saw and I know who they are. Backup for me too.

Looking at the 391/362. Older 038 magnum.

Not interested in a 290. I had one. Too slow.

60/70cc range ideally.

Strato/older no problem.

Only used as backup/ loaner. Once and a blue moon for fun for me too.

I like husky and Stihl

Any and all recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

Ps. Prefer not to spend a ton.

How about a used 360 Pro?

IMHO...

Anyone who needs to borrow a 60-70cc saw should have one of their own...
and their own back-up saw...!!

If someone needs something cut that requires a 60cc+ saw...Pay me to do it..!!

You would like a Stihl 036...360..!!
:cheers:
J2F

husqvarna 357, 359, 365, 371, 372
but from experience i dont let anybody borrow saws anymore! to many times they have come back trashed!

never lone out a saw

IMHO...

Anyone who needs to borrow a 60-70cc saw should have one of their own...
and their own back-up saw...!!

If someone needs something cut that requires a 60cc+ saw...Pay me to do it..!!

You would like a Stihl 036...360..!!
:cheers:
J2F

loaning out a chainsaw is like loaning out your g/f or wife she will never come back the same! its a no no , i never loan anything out ever especially a $600 chainsaw

Just me but I would do a 028 or Husky 50/55 Rancher- tune it a little fat and provide the fuel so you have a shot at it not being straight gassed.

Little up front money, lots of parts avaiable and they do not run near the ragged edge.

Bill

Eh stepdad gave his jonsered to his son who needed it. 1 in a million chance he would need to use it but still a chance.

Backup for me either way.

441c computerized. 5105 dolmar dealer support.

So it works out.

I have only one loaner saw, and that is a 455 Rancher. It goes out the door only to a select few, and with it goes a gallon of fuel and a jug of bar oil. I used to loan it out without the bar oil until it came back from a buddy that ran out of bar oil and used instead some old used up motor oil.

After flushing the tank and cleaning the bar of as much metal particles that I could, I decided that a $7 gallon jug of bar oil was worth it to get my saw back in reasonable good shape. But even then, if I dont know the guy real well and know in my heart he will have the saw repaired at his cost if he busts it up, I dont loan out saws. And if you need a bigger saw than the 455, dont even call me unless you break out your wallet or the grill, cause either way I come with any saw thats bigger.

Hate to admit it, but I got plenty of friends that just plain dont have any horse sense when it comes to power tools.

For the money a Jonsered 670 is still a pretty good saw with 67cc. They are older but can be found in good shape at reasonable prices and there are still plenty of parts.

A good, fun back-up saw which shouldn't break the bank eh? I'd suggest finding a nice 361, should be more than a few around.

I have only one loaner saw, and that is a 455 Rancher. It goes out the door only to a select few, and with it goes a gallon of fuel and a jug of bar oil. I used to loan it out without the bar oil until it came back from a buddy that ran out of bar oil and used instead some old used up motor oil.

After flushing the tank and cleaning the bar of as much metal particles that I could, I decided that a $7 gallon jug of bar oil was worth it to get my saw back in reasonable good shape. But even then, if I dont know the guy real well and know in my heart he will have the saw repaired at his cost if he busts it up, I dont loan out saws. And if you need a bigger saw than the 455, dont even call me unless you break out your wallet or the grill, cause either way I come with any saw thats bigger.

Hate to admit it, but I got plenty of friends that just plain dont have any horse sense when it comes to power tools.

He's right, any Husky or Crapsman will do...

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Get a Makita dcs6401. If home depot rental can’t kill em, what hope do your friends/relatives have??

I had a 361. Should of never sold it. Needed money at the time though.

We've all been there before. However, now could be a good time to get re-acquainted with one if you find the right deal.

Failing that, you could do a lot worse than one of those 6401 ex-rental units.

orrrrr you could easily get one of those little wild things, work over the jug a little and call it the loaner.

Latest posts

Back