Bailey's 2007 = DOLMAR!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not stocking them because sales figures don't support having an inventory does't sound like Bailey's is looking for any long term relationships with Dolmar or Dolmar owners, I wonder if their parts inventory is driven by customer need or inventory "turns". They are not likely to stock obscure parts based on their attitiude towards inventory which has alredy been spelled out in previous posts (if you all insist, I'll find proof).

Ok I agree with 90% of what you wrote in this thread, but I spoke with the new guy in charge of parts at Bailey's this week and he has a different philosophy. One that is better for customers and sounds close to your own.

BTW congratulations GREGG.

Fred

So how would selling thru online sells increase the number of stocking dealers?
Good products sell themselves and Dolmars main problem is lack of exposure. 9 out 10 logging crews in my county dont even know the 7900 exists. What good are brick and mortar dealers if the market doesnt know the product they are selling even exists? Therefor any sale is a good sale. They can get picky once their name is out there. However, they first need to get their parts system in order.
If I were in charge at Dolmar I would first setup the big online places like Baileys, Madsens etc and make them carry a adequate parts supply. I might also set my MSRP such that it undercutted Husky and Stihl. Get enough high quality saws out in the field at a low price and the buyers will come.

lookin for a saw...

I'm looking for a saw to add to my current stable of one.... I'm clearing land and bucking firewood. I have a Sachs-Dolmar 112, but need something more powerful. I'm looking at Dolmar 7300 (matching sets are always nice!), jonsered 2171 and husky 570... Any well-reasoned opinions are welcome input in my decision-making process here.:chainsaw:

Ben, let me ask you this: If all of the real money is in parts and service, then could you please explain to us all why businesses such as box stores and web sites are primarily interested in equipment sales, and not parts and service? Do you think that Home Cheapo, Tractor Supply, and Slowes would leave all of that easy money on the table? I think the people who run those operations are pretty sharp business people, and the reason there are no shops in those stores is because there is very little profit in the shops.

(I am fully aware that Baileys offers parts, so no need to correct me on that point)

Dolmar dealer opinion

I'll try to voice the opinion of a dealer in this post.

1. "Price fixing" Dolmar doesn't tell us what we are allowed to sell our saws for. They say that we aren't allowed to advertise a price below MSRP or special sale price if applicable. If we do advertise a lower price it isn't covered undert any advertising co-op dollars etc.

2. "Online sales" I have mixed emotions about this and can see both sides of the coin very clearly. My personal point of view is to NOT stock equipment that is available through mass merchants or national online dealers. If Dolmar decided to allow this activity I wouldn't curse their name but I would no longer handle their equipment. I know Makita is in the HD rental stores. It isn't orange and doesn't say Dolmar on it so I'll put my head in the sand like an ostrich.

3. "Crappy Dealers" After 14 years, I still stock very few parts for these saws. Less than $1000.00 in parts actually. I stock all the popular tune-up parts and parts that get lost or damaged really quick. Do I stock a 7900 piston/cyl combo so you can juice up your blue 6400 makita? No. I'll have it in a few days if you'd like to pay for it in advance. But I'm a professional logger!....then you should have a back-up saw.

We have a few dealers around here that handle 3 saws or something like that. One reason Stihl dealers are so universal is that it takes an Oprah Winfrey sized pile of money to get a Stihl dealership. Big money in still signage, displays, required advertising and equipment. 10K plus is an easy number. When I signed up with Dolmar and re-signed with the IDN...they gave me the signs, gave me displays, hooked me up with demo units and other goodies, etc. I only need to order a maneagable amount of equipment to be a solid Dolmar dealer. Right now I have 25 pieces of Dolmar equipment in stock. I only stock what I am able to pay for out of pocket so that i don't get into trouble with interest, etc. My shop is different because I'm in a Corn Field here.....more corn than trees and we're having a very mild winter right now = Crappy Saw Sales.

In summation I'd like to see more good Dolmar dealers and less crappy ones to be sure. I don't want to see massive online sales for fear of losing the good dealers that we have. I agree with the idea that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Stihl has some crappy dealers and they don't sell online. Parts for some Stihl equipment are hard to get just like everyone else. Stihl doesn't sell online and they are a thriving company. You can't buy a car online....would you really want to?

my $0.02

Big money in still signage, displays, required advertising and equipment. 10K plus is an easy number.

And that's piss in the wind for a business investment. Maybe undercapitalized dealerships is why so few carry parts or seem unable to get parts efficiently.

And that's piss in the wind for a business investment. Maybe undercapitalized dealerships is why so few carry parts or seem unable to get parts efficiently.

2 out of three small businesses fail. A saw shop is a small business. Capitalization will always be an obstacle, but it always has to be a benefit vs. reward scenario. I've had two businesses I could have gotten large with and had willing sources of capital. Both times I said NO because the benefit was not great enough.

Balance is where it is at.

Fred

I agree. I'd absolutely like to see a minimum dealer size, etc. be part of the Dolmar experience. Maybe a minimal amount of models or product line etc. should be in the works.

I get tired of qualifying my commenst as a dealer to the uninformed but here goes. I'm not a SAW shop. I'm a Power Equipment dealer. We sell and service equipment. In my area....there isn't a single shop that just does saw work or even handheld work. We are all equipment dealers with mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc.

Dolmar is one of my 2 equipment lines but they aren't the biggest. 100K of Snapper equipment is the average but I can stock just every piece model of Dolmar equipment that retails well in this are for a 7.5K investment.

I signed up for Dolmar and agreed to have "X" amount of dollars in equipment. This is equipment that I can expect a "Y" amount of money for at the sale. Y minus X = my profit. And Dolmar hooks me up with the signs and display and literature items I want for nothing. If i'm retailing equipment then they are around to support me. Sure they don't have a calendar and an overpriced chopper like other brands... and I wonder why the other brand is one of the the highest priced saws around? Can they be that good? made of gold or platinum? Are they considered bling if you wear one around your neck on a string?

My point is that a Dolmar dealer can sign on to spend an amount of capital on equipment and get a direct return when the equipment is sold. With other companies you first have to "pay off" the $2600+ in displays, signage, etc. that IMHO doesn't fit well in every shop setting. I've noticed a lot of Stihl dealers seem to look like the same shop inside. I've set my displays up to fit my area and they are easily tuneable to the season.

Ok. My way isn't the way of everyone. Stihl is far from the best manufacturer of equipment in the world and so on. There is no top dog in the pile. Everyone has their own needs be they a dealer or consumer.

Last edited:
Well I'm gonna put me a little country store right beside Wal-mart. Unlike Wal-mart I have no stock holders so I'll have to borrow a few hundred grand from the bank and pay it back. Being right beside Wal-mart though I'm gonna sell the same goods they sell though I'll have to charge more since Wal-mart gets the goods much cheaper with their big buying power. Wal-mart sells alot of goods so the goods are out there, I should be able to cash in on them. Anything missing in this story, yes, I'm doing it on my own, not being forced to with no choice in the matter.

I had a country store in town untill Wal-mart moved in across town. Like all other country stores across the country that got moved in on by Wal-mart I got a going out of business sign in front of my store now.

See the differances in the two stories.

These loyal Dolmar dealers feel the 2nd story above about online sales and Baileys, can ya blame them, no. Can't blame Bailey's either, hell their in business too so who can ya blame. Can you blame Dolmar, not really, they are owned by someone else. So where does the blame fall. One simple answer, its all about the money, and more of it. Someone in corporate is looking at the gains possible verses the losses just like all stock holder companies do when making big decsions.

I for one don't care but then again I'm not a Dolmar dealer with money vested. The man that sold me my 5100 said he would always take care of me and I trust him 100%. Gonna get another one from him regardless if Baileys comes along with a cheaper price. Why, Baileys is big, they will be fine without my little bit of business. My buddy though he needs my business alittle more and I'm happy to give it too him.

I think those of you that are praying Bailey's sets up a Dolmar line are more interested in getting your saws cheaper than from the walk in dealer. If parts is the only issue your seeking why not order them from your dealer just like you would from Bailey's. Oh but the dealer has to order them and I have to wait, ok, you have to wait as well for the box to come from Bailey's too so whats the differance, price maybe, hmmmmmmmmmm.

Well said Thall.

Take care of the good dealers and they will take care of you...this will weed out the bad dealers eventually. Just like Lowballers and scabs in the Plowing and Lawncare industries.

Are there lowballer arborists? I'm curious. Because LS and PS have HUNDREDS of postas about lowballers? Is a guy running around and cutting trees down with an axe and a cross-cut saw?

sorry to here you lost your country store thall, ;) but your now into a business thats alot more lucrative. :laugh: :laugh:

sorry to here you lost your country store thall, ;) but your now into a business thats alot more lucrative. :laugh: :laugh:

Hey ole Sugar, whats your thoughts on all this gossip? I really have no interest in it other than for guys like you, Spike, Sedanman, Cuttinscott and others on here. I got nothing againist Baileys either for that matter. I just want ole Sugar to keep taking care of ole Hall ya here...

could you please explain to us all why businesses such as box stores and web sites are primarily interested in equipment sales, and not parts and service?
Pretty simple actually. Its called volume sales.

3. "Crappy Dealers" After 14 years, I still stock very few parts for these saws. Less than $1000.00 in parts actually. I stock all the popular tune-up parts and parts that get lost or damaged really quick. Do I stock a 7900 piston/cyl combo so you can juice up your blue 6400 makita? No. I'll have it in a few days if you'd like to pay for it in advance. But I'm a professional logger!....then you should have a back-up saw.
Nice attitude......BTW the piston and cylinder would be ther ein a couple of days either as its likely one or both components would be on back order.

Hey ole Sugar, whats your thoughts on all this gossip? I really have no interest in it other than for guys like you, Spike, Sedanman, Cuttinscott and others on here. I got nothing againist Baileys either for that matter. I just want ole Sugar to keep taking care of ole Hall ya here...

this is an interesting topic. both sides have a point. the saws need to get out there. but don't think box stores is the right way. its going to take time, but i also think it didn't go smoothly with stihl years ago either. or that they only put there saws in businesses that was well established in whatever. theres one small stihl dealer near me that operates out of old gas station and does a little repair work on anything that moves (between bar time) stocks very little of anything including saws, and been operating that way for many years. But has also sold a lot of saws over the years. big isn't always better. as for dolmar parts being slow to get, i havn't seen that except for a couple of parts for older saws. if i can't get a saw out when a customer needs it i'll offer a loaner.-

this is an interesting topic. both sides have a point. the saws need to get out there. but don't think box stores is the right way. its going to take time, but i also think it didn't go smoothly with stihl years ago either. or that they only put there saws in businesses that was well established in whatever. theres one small stihl dealer near me that operates out of old gas station and does a little repair work on anything that moves (between bar time) stocks very little of anything including saws, and been operating that way for many years. But has also sold a lot of saws over the years. big isn't always better. as for dolmar parts being slow to get, i havn't seen that except for a couple of parts for older saws. if i can't get a saw out when a customer needs it i'll offer a loaner.-

Well all I know is with me you got a customer for life. Long as there is mators and pumpkins Baileys can never sell me a Dolmar part of any kind. Nothing againsit them but I like being considered a person, not a digit on a computer list..

Well all I know is with me you got a customer for life. Long as there is mators and pumpkins Baileys can never sell me a Dolmar part of any kind. Nothing againsit them but I like being considered a person, not a digit on a computer list..

customer for life, i've got a doc. appointment wednesday, i'll let you know how long that'l be,:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pretty simple actually. Its called volume sales.

Nice attitude......BTW the piston and cylinder would be ther ein a couple of days either as its likely one or both components would be on back order.

Spell check is nice. Did you mean that it wouldn't be at my shop in a few days? You should really check your sources before making assumptions. I just hopped on my IDN Distriubutor's network. They have 15 piston / cyl. combos in stock for 1 day delivery right now. I recognize that SOME distributors and consequently some dealers have troubles with parts. I don't. That is why I can make 100% true statements about my area and my business. You are welcome to stop in at our open house and talk it over while sipping a grain flavored beverage. March 17 is the tentative date right now. Dolmar will be there along with a carver or two or three and the B & S guys.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Maybe if some of the so called Professionals and users had a little more confidence in dealers we wouldn't be trying to ice-skate uphill and get Dolmar into the running here in the US. I see it as a grass-roots campaign just like all the other equipment. If you don't like the equipment it's one thing. But don't bash too hard on a dealer network that is busting Azz. We admit to a few bad apples and we are trying real hard to get everything up to speed.

Latest posts

Back