Band saw wheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHHH HAAA!!!

Got ya! Thank you!

Keep me posted on your build!

The belts fit perfectly and installed without much hassle. I was watching closely! :msp_biggrin: They sit just a hair above the edge of the wheels and are nice and flat with a lot of grip to them. I think Chaikwa is going to switch to these as well. More parts arrived and we got the used 18 hp engine running. I start painting the carriage tomorrow!

Another member here and I are building a mill as well. This is the second one I've built. On both I use 19" sheaves, (pulleys), fitted with very tight fitting belts. They're probably not quite as good as the solid steel wheels, but they've worked well for me. A lot of the major manufacturers use the same set up, Woodmizer for one. On this mill, we'll be using urethane belts instead of regular rubber as the sawdust won't stick to it.

Here's where you can find the sheaves:
Surplus Center - 18.75 O.D. H-BUSHING SINGLE GROOVE PULLEY

Look around their site. They also have 'H' bushings that you'll need to attach the sheaves to the shafts as well as the shafting, pillow block bearings and other items that will be useful.

Personally, I don't care for the tire set-ups. They seem to work well for most people, but when I sink a bunch of time and money into a mill build, I have a problem with the end product looking like something that was converted from a trailer. I don't think when all is said and done that the set up I use with the sheaves is any more expensive than playing around with tires. Blade tension is pretty important to blade performance and longevity too, and I don't see how that can be achieved with tires. While the bigger the bandwheel the better, (in terms of blade life), I haven't had any problems with the 19" size of the sheaves. Again, a lot of the major manufacturers use the same size as well.

You can get your shafts and all your bearings and drive pulley here too for less than you can get the band wheels off of ebay.The tires that Timberwolf sells for these v-belts work good.

Ah just found out what the "B" width means on the pully and belt. :msp_biggrin:

but still not sure about which belts.

Heavy Duty Grooved Urethane V-Belts For Band Wheels | Suffolk Machinery - Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blades

for

Surplus Center - 18.75 O.D. H-BUSHING SINGLE GROOVE PULLEY

I picked up one B56 belt from NAPA this morning so we could make some measurements and it fit perfectly. Monday I will call Tom at Suffolk Machine and give him the info we have. It still looks like the one I was going to order is the one I need. The width is 5/8ths wide so he should agree with that. If you have the pulley in front of you when you call him, I'm sure he can advise what you need.
"
Re the blades size. Chaikwa has me ordering 1 1/4" X .o42 X 7/8" (pitch). We think our length blade needs to be 156 7/8ths. That length is based upon having the shaft centers at 48 7/8" compressed position and 50 5/8" in full extension. Your blade will need to be based on whatever your distances are.
Whoever you order from will determine proper blade length based upon the dimensions you provide. I am going to order ours thru Menominee Saw. Their number is 1-800-582-0470. This is where Chaikwa had ordered from in the past. Note, a ten pack is cheaper and will save on some shipping cost. That is what I am going to do. I hope this helps. I'm sure Chaikwa will chime in if I've told you wrong, but I'm reading off the order notes he printed up today.

Hi everyone,
This is a great thread and thanks for posting. I hope it's ok to ask a follow up question in the thread. I'm itching to build a mill and want to be sure to select the right parts (and not be a duffer and get it wrong!).

I'm curious to know what H Bushing was selected in the end for your mill StubornDutchman please, and what size drive wheel did you opt for, 13.75?

Just chiming in to say that talk is fine but pictures are better.:D

Sound like you all have some neat builds going on.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back