Bandit 65XL chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bombard with email!

Alright boys,

I emailed the company too. Told them that if this didn't get fixed I would start looking into the Vermeer 625. Good Luck!

Eric

What you need is a self-feed drum chipper, like an altec whisper chipper. Yes, it is a bigger chipper, not as manuverable, but it will: chip 6 inch material all day, numpty groundsman can start it easily, you only need to sharpen the knives after a min. of 100 hours ( or never lol)unless you throw in large dead wood or rakings, very simple design, no feed wheels to jam, they don't throw chips all over the place, they are cheap, lots of power, reliable. They are not for everybody, they make an incredible amount of noise, and will slap you. Oh, I forgot, you live in Eu., they probably don't have them there? Or they are illegal? But if they have them you should try one!

We have mini Chuck and ducks here- http://www.jobeau.com/hakselaars.php?id=3

Bandit UK, also known as Global recycling equipment formerly BE Recycling formerly Kendall Equipment are the worst company in the UK to buy anything from. They are a bunch of crooks.

Every 6 inch capacity bandit from the word go has suffered the same problem.

A friend is considering the 65, have you had any satisfaction?

First, pecontools i am sorry to here the problems you have experinced, and even more than that the service of your dealer and Bandit.

I personally have had a great experience with the Model 65, the model 65xl, and even the 007 series. Both engines but never the dual feed wheel.

Mitchell to your question, i would recomend the chipper if he is looking for a 6 inch. They are light weight and ya they can handle a 6 inch log but def. not all day. Go with the bigger engine, keep the knives sharp.

Pecontools, can you take some pictures of your infeed...with the dual wheels just never seen it on the 65, didnt even know they made it for it. As for your shoot, shooting outward in no clear direction...and bouncing back...what are you chipping into.

Sorry if you already posted these....i quickly read through the thread...but more of a skim, could easily have missed something.

JMO

I would recomend the 65 to anyone...however it has to fit your out fit.

Canyon

I purchased a Bandit 65xl last summer. Single feed wheel with auto feed. Like Canyonbc said, "it has to fit your outfit" and mine does. I'm extremely happy with it.

Most of my chipping is 3" and under,however occasionally I'll chip items that are 6" and depending on the species it can take a little longer than I would like at the time, but for the amount I chip big material it's not really that big concern. The only occasional jamming issue I ever have with the machine is on dead (hard) material that is larger than 2 1/2".

Sorry to hear about your problems with your chipper Pecontools, hopefully it will eventually work out.

Mitchell, have your friend rent one if he can.

I purchased a Bandit 65xl last summer. Single feed wheel with auto feed. Like Canyonbc said, "it has to fit your outfit" and mine does. I'm extremely happy with it.

Most of my chipping is 3" and under,however occasionally I'll chip items that are 6" and depending on the species it can take a little longer than I would like at the time, but for the amount I chip big material it's not really that big concern. The only occasional jamming issue I ever have with the machine is on dead (hard) material that is larger than 2 1/2".

Sorry to hear about your problems with your chipper Pecontools, hopefully it will eventually work out.

Mitchell, have your friend rent one if he can.

Ya...Manzanita i have had some tough times with the chippers....but manzanita burns so well...i am always quick to keep that for my self.

Great point on renting the chipper, two things to look/understand. Again this is my experience with rental equipment. A lot of them who carry the 65...have the 27hp Kolher....the wisconsin i think is hands down better...just extra needed power.

The other being dull knives. I think that can be the biggest one with running a chipper. I dont think this was the wise ist thing to do...but when i would rent from one of the local shops...i ordered some knives from Sherill Tree....and installed them in the morning then changed them out the end of the day.

Best of luck again...with your chipper issues.

shirtless...

We have mini Chuck and ducks here- http://www.jobeau.com/hakselaars.php?id=3

Bandit UK, also known as Global recycling equipment formerly BE Recycling formerly Kendall Equipment are the worst company in the UK to buy anything from. They are a bunch of crooks.

Every 6 inch capacity bandit from the word go has suffered the same problem.

I wonder, do they sell more chippers with the shirt off adds?

Good idea to rent first, however I jave only ever seen the vermeer products for rent locally. The 6 inch vermeer is better then nothing, but not much.

I wonder, do they sell more chippers with the shirt off adds?

Good idea to rent first, however I jave only ever seen the vermeer products for rent locally. The 6 inch vermeer is better then nothing, but not much.

i have rented them both...cant compare...the two...

So we have quite a few owners of 6 inch bandits that are unhappy with how the product has turned out, and worse is seems bandit doesnt seem to care much about it. Maybe its to big to worry about small fry customers?

Treepandas thread seems very simular, other complaints to. I wonder why bandit isnt taking this seriously.

Hi Timber. I had contacted Bandit and invited them into this thread quite some time ago. The guy who was invited is the overseeing engineer for the 6" and 9" models. I didn't pressure him or anything, just put out there that the machine was being discussed in a forum internationally and we extend our invitation to come in and be a part of this discussion.

As far as my unit, gosh, it's getting in upwards of ten years old. I am seriously looking at purchasing another chipper. Mine is still whoopin azz, and for that I am grateful, but it just can not last forever. It's a real warrior but like any good stud horse, should probably be put to pasture with respect rather than run to the death.

I remember telling Bandit, in person, in their engineering offices at a special meeting, that the era of this chipper is off in the future, that as a whole, the attitude of our industry is 'the bigger the better' and there were a lot of nods because these cats knew what models sold the best. The 6" was down the line. "But" I said, "as gas prices in the future go up, and we know they will, owner operators will likely add a smaller chipper and smaller truck to their arsenal as a means of efficiency, using it for smaller jobs or places where their big rigs are not as practical or cost-effective."

The 6" Bandit has strong sales in the rental industry market, and Arborists don't have a sharp focus on this model. I told them this 6" chipper is sorta like the red-headed bastard child of their lineup, but this chipper child is a closet genius and will grow up some day and have its time in the spotlight. I don't think that day is too far off at this point, but the problems need to be ironed out.

I think it would really help Bandit to suss out these issues, and if I can speak on behalf of many of us, we can help. We ARE the extreme end users. Mine has paid for itself over and over and continues to give. I wish everyone could experience the same level of impressive performance.

Guys, 6" chippers rock. I love hitting the gas station, filling up my 6 gal tank and running that puppy all day long.

As far as the 6" Vermeer goes I had the same opinion of it as everyone else here, i.e., not very efficient. But I was demoing one and had the dealer disconnect the autofeed mechanism. I'll tell you what, it's an entirely different machine. The autofeed was not allowing the motor to work. Now you can shove 3 to 4" branches through there. I have adjusted the feedrate wheel for the density of wood or brush I am chipping. It has a small opening, yes, but it'll grab hold and pull in twisted, snarly limbs no problem. I can also, because of its 90 deg design, shove hedge trimmings through it with a push stick without clogging and it actually chips them finer.

These are fine, good machines...just misunderstood. :clap:

Dave

I've emailed bandit again on the 21st July 2008 and they haven't bothered to reply. Like has been said, small customers are no big loss.

In my opinion, a customer spending a dollar is just as important as a customer spending 100 dollars. They both deserve customer care.

Six inch chippers are far more common in the uk for domestic work, most aborists run one.

The 6 inch is very common here, so much so that there were 2 companies making them for the local market. (this for a nation of only 4million people) I would say half the chippers used in my town by arborists are 6's.

We pay a fair bit for chippers in NZ, the vermeer 6 inch is about $22,000 us dollars. So if someone like tree panda buys a bandit out of his own pocket, you can bet hes paid through the nose for it. For it then to be built faulty and the manufacturer not to be willing to do anthing about it, well its close to criminal.

If us "little guys" are getting stung when buying new chippers its probably going to hurt us more than it would if a new 2090xp became unusable for a big company.

As a single client you have given them your money and your having to live with there screw up.
But as a collective group of buyers and product users, theres a chance we could be a voice that might be listened to. Who knows, it might be you who is left in the cold by a supplier next time.

i dont understand

i have recently bought a 65 aw second hand (so glad to get rid of my 6 inch vermeer) its only got a 25 hp kohler on it which is a bit under powered for my liking but so far this 65 ####ing rocks i love it to bits, it doesnt matter what i throw at that feed roller it rips it in and spits it out the shoot , if i dont watch where the discharge is pointing it fires chips over the truck and ends up 30-40 feet in front of the truck, it chews everything i throw in there from palm fronds to cabbage trees its bloody awesome.

i have recently bought a 65 aw second hand (so glad to get rid of my 6 inch vermeer) its only got a 25 hp kohler on it which is a bit under powered for my liking but so far this 65 ####ing rocks i love it to bits, it doesnt matter what i throw at that feed roller it rips it in and spits it out the shoot , if i dont watch where the discharge is pointing it fires chips over the truck and ends up 30-40 feet in front of the truck, it chews everything i throw in there from palm fronds to cabbage trees its bloody awesome.

Yeah the bandits are generally good, but there have been obviously bad ones sold new down these ways (to many to be simply a coincidence) and brush bandit has not been backing them up. The sales agent is doing all it can to support there product but the parent company doesnt seems to care.
If you going to get a new chipper at any stage, check out the Hansa's, I brought one of there 6 by 12 inch models 5 months ago and am really impressed. Auto feed, rotating turntable, NZ made and the guys customize them how you want them. My mate has one that has been through 2 tree companies, the council thrashed it, and its worn out motors and still goes strong. Was that your vemeer on trademe a little while back?

I have had both Bandit 90 and 95 chippers, and never had that problem. The feed rollers do a good job, and only stall when needed, like when a short stub rattles around in there, or a wad of leaves gets jammed. Reverse the roller, and re-reverse it and that is about all it takes to unjam it.

Yeah the bandits are generally good, but there have been obviously bad ones sold new down these ways (to many to be simply a coincidence) and brush bandit has not been backing them up. The sales agent is doing all it can to support there product but the parent company doesnt seems to care.
If you going to get a new chipper at any stage, check out the Hansa's, I brought one of there 6 by 12 inch models 5 months ago and am really impressed. Auto feed, rotating turntable, NZ made and the guys customize them how you want them. My mate has one that has been through 2 tree companies, the council thrashed it, and its worn out motors and still goes strong. Was that your vemeer on trademe a little while back?

i looked at the hansas last feild days, and will look again this feild days, i didnt have the money for new chipper, as cash flows been very tight for us and i also thought the hansas looked a little bit light for my liking this new bandits going to be repowerd with a 35 horse kubota diesel when the kohler gives up and my engineer said its frame will cope with the diesel.

i didnt put my vermeer on trade me i told a guy i was selling it and he asked what i wanted for it and i said 12 grand he said sold, only lost 10 grand on that peice of god awful ####, i feel sorry for 6 inch vermeer owners haha. the guy that bought mine is using it in his nursery so itll do him fine i geuss. my goal now i have this lil bandit is to within 18 months have a model 255 or a 1490 with all the bells and whistles haha it sucks feeding smaller chippers when you have a 1.8 ton digger with grapple sitting there just to load logs

Bandit 65XL

Just a quick note. I have a bandit 65XL with a perkins diesel engine. I have had it for two years and absolutely love this tool. I must be a very lucky man because I have never had a problem with it. I know other guys who have the gas engine and seem to have the same problems that you all have talked about.

Thanks

Welcome to ArboristSite Surfingbluebird, am newish to the site myself. Wealth of info., wisdom, and perspective to be found.

Purchased a used 65AW Bandit with a Wisconsin gas engine as a “get by” chipper after my Bandit 1690 went down. Decided that would be the best course rather than buy a new Bandit 65 too quick and get the wrong options (for me). Love how light it is and easy to move around by hand with a caster on tongue jack. I am not tempted to leave it at home when just a modest amount of brush like I was with my 5000 + lb. chipper. One of the things I would like in a new chipper is more power and am considering going with the 44 horse Kabota engine (don’t think Perkins is offered on the 65XP).

I’m only about sixty miles from you. If you ever have a day of heavy chipping set up would be happy to come down and help for free so I could see how the Perkins engine performs. Regards, Merle

Just re-read the whole thread and am disappointed anyone would get as poor of customer service as “pecontools” received. Unfortunately I think it is a sign of our times and lack of integrity is all too common as a business practice. In the event anyone comes on this thread in the future and is trying to figure out said feed wheel problem, I have been told that it is solvable. The folks at CalLine Equip.(local to me Bandit dealer) in Livermore, CA say that welding in double the “knives” on the bottom feed wheel roller causes it to feed vines and shattering wood appropriately. (On twin wheel 65’s)

PS - Takes me a while to compose and bang out a post, and while I have been over here with another window open I notice there have been several members and numerous guests visit this thread. On a topic that was started almost six years ago to the day. Bandit or any co., you want to ignore your customer, really?????? How many chippers did not sell because of X?

Back