Bar and chain chage is it possible

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUDGE1162

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an Eager Beaver 2.0 (a nice little limbing saw) and the only saw my wife will touch (not such a bad thing) she thinks my 455 is too heavy and won’t even go near the 575XP. I want to change the chain the saw takes, presently it is set up with a 16 inch bar which Takes an Oregon S54 (3/8 low profile, .050 gauge, 54 DL) chain is there a way I switch to either a 55 dl (like stihl saws) or 56dl (like poulan saws) it is just hard to find 54DL chains and when I do find them they tend to be much more expensive then the 55 or 56 DL chains. I can get the stihl loops for $10 to $12; the 54 DL loop is $16 to $18 a loop.

Not sure if there is an easy way to switch, I guess I could make my own loops but that is a pain too.

Ideally I would get all my saws on one type of chain but I am not sure the eager beaver is up to running standard 3/8 pitch chain. Is it even possible to put standard 3/8 pitch VS 3/8 low profile on that saw (yes I know I would have to make some sort of changes)

There are a lot of different after market bars out there for the little Macs contact a dealer(bar dealer not Mac dealer) and tell him what you are want. There are many different bar setups and drive link counts available.

As to the full pitch 3/8. It will do it with a short bar and sharp chain. I have a lot of those little Macs and they are subjected to a lot of abuse. The full comp. full size 3/8 was set up with a 12" bar and not very impressive at all. The saw did much better with narrow kerf .325. It did the best with 1/4".

How much adjustment do you have on your chain adjuster? You may be able to simply drop on a 55 dl loop and adjust the chain so the bar is further out to tension it.

Bringing it back around...

I just rebuilt an Eager Beaver 2.0 that was given to me. Hate the balance and power with the 16" bar (that is the size bar I most recently bought for the 361:) ).

I want a 12" narrow kerf set-up and it looks like I will need to order this so I am looking for what bar mount it is (Unless the bar mount is a small Stihl or echo, Home Depot is who will carry the replacement locally).

Anyone have the mount size and drivelink #/pitch to get the 12" bar for the 2.0 ??

Change to 14" ????

I have a little Mac with a 14" bar that takes S49. I do not find that the chain
is hard to find. They have them at Lowes and Menards both.

I have a little Mac with a 14" bar that takes S49. I do not find that the chain
is hard to find. They have them at Lowes and Menards both.

that is a normaly availible chain. s49 = Safety chain with 49 drivers. it is easy too find. have your local saw shop make it too that driver count :)
:cheers:

This is one issue with bringing back questions from the past via search...

I don't know if the original poster got his new bar with safety chain or not, however, the question at hand for today is...

Does anyone have the mount size and drivelink #/pitch to get the 12" bar for the 2.0 ?? A real bar and chain, not a Home Depot safety combo.

Thank you.

the post i put up with the oregon link is what is needed. if you click on the link it gives part numbers as well as the bar mount.
This is one issue with bringing back questions from the past via search...

I don't know if the original poster got his new bar with safety chain or not, however, the question at hand for today is...

Does anyone have the mount size and drivelink #/pitch to get the 12" bar for the 2.0 ?? A real bar and chain, not a Home Depot safety combo.

Thank you.

I'll try the selector guide. Good point superfire. The link doesn't work, but I should be able to get there manually. Thank you!!

Update: The selector guide discloses the chain information as 3/8", .050 low profile chaine. However, I could not find the information on the bar mount and I am not fluent enough in these bars to be able to tell them apart. Next stop...Bailey's online catalog.

Last edited:
Bar mount is A318 same as quite a few McCulloch saws along with others. The selector guide works.
attachment.php

Bar mount is A318 same as quite a few McCulloch saws along with others. The selector guide works.

Thank you. Pilot error when it came to the selector guide. I must be lazier today than I anticipated. Again, thanks.

Any mention of a 12-14" bar. The 16" as listed in the selector guide is really a poor fit on this saw. Not like it matters, I guess.

Last edited:
MCCULLOCH 160S 16" 3/8" .050
Some of the old saws (more than 15 years) had 1/4" pitch chain

91P054G 91 LOW PROFILE™ 54 3/8" .050 6
91VG054G XtraGUARD® (91VG) 54 3/8" .050 6
91VX054G LOW PROFILE™ SEMI CHISEL CHAIN (91VX) 54 3/8" .050 6

160SPET318 PRO 91® Bar With INTENZ™ 54 3/8" .050 6
Chainsaws originally equipped with an Intenz® bar, do not have a “bar-adjustment pin” for tensioning the chain. Use ONLY an Intenz® bar when replacing the guide bar on these saws.
160SPEA318 PRO 91® Bar 54 3/8" .050 6
160SDET318 DOUBLE GUARD® 91 Bar With INTENZ™ 54 3/8" .050 6
Chainsaws originally equipped with an Intenz® bar, do not have a “bar-adjustment pin” for tensioning the chain. Use ONLY an Intenz® bar when replacing the guide bar on these saws.
160SDEA318 DOUBLE GUARD® 91 Bar 54 3/8" .050 6

108764 Combo 160SPEA318 / 91VG 054G 54 3/8" .050 6

Latest posts

Back